is an aluminum flywheel worth it?

ronandkate

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello I'm new here

Been reading about flywheels and thir benefits. some guy a new one for sale and I'm thinking about snaggin it.

would it make a difference on my stock 98 gts?
is the 15 hp increase real?

thanks in advance

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hp increase is perceived more so than dyno measurable. But if it delivers a faster response of the engine and a more pleasurable driving experience then who cares?

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^Not a fancy man's part^^^

:D

LOL thankfully I read the other thread so know what you're talking about. :lmao:

I like the one I have. It does help the RPM's get there faster. It reminds me of when I had a stall converter put in my 440 6-pak Challenger. It helps the mass of these big engines rotate faster.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1) weight loss, #2) less mass on driveshaft equals less HP lost at rear wheels and sightly quicker throttle response. If those are things you value, go for it, but honestly, in a 98 you won't be winning any races anyway so buy some new PS2's. jmo

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like mine because it was paid for by the previous owner. Aluminium flywheels have a replaceable (bolted) friction plated in them and instead of grinding - you replace pieces.

If you car is stock I'd put the money towards lightweight wheels, 14" lightweight front brakes, Bluetooth stereo, new speakers, smoothtubes, airfilters, headers, HID lights, SRX radar detector or ****** 9500ci (depending where you live) or anything else that makes a difference that is obvious. Lightweightfrlywheel can be felt by some and not by others.

Since you're new you should call JonB at PartsRack.com - Home as he had them for sale as well. Jon sells me most of my Viper parts.

Ted

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the following with the understanding that it relates to C5s and muscle cars.

I've put lightweight flywheels into every car I've owned and been happy with the change over stock. On it's own, you will get a slight increase in how quickly the engine revs. In combination with TBs, RRs, and/or maybe a cam and some reprogramming... you will have one fast responding mill.

I have never documented a decrease in performance at the drag strip. I have also never felt a SOTP difference when launching, though my cars were built to hook and go. What I did notice was that normal driving or those spirited country cruises showed a great ease in shifting, shifting faster, and more direct control from the right foot between shifts. I've always enjoyed these products, though I've never installed one without putting in a good clutch at the same time. I definitely suggest doing both at once to save on your time, or to save money if you have someone else install it.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one in my Z06, I felt a difference in throttle response and it definitely makes the car a LOT more fun to drive!

When I change out my clutch at some point I will add it for sure.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello I'm new here

would it make a difference on my stock 98 gts?
is the 15 hp increase real?

thanks in advance

No
No

Won't make a big difference in a stock car. I know alot of guys have a problem with clutch chatter with an alum. flywheel. I believe the weight of a steel fw was figured in as a crank counterbalance.....IMO

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A lighter flywheel will give better throttle response, the engine will come into the power band quicker, full throttle shifts will be more positive and decel engine braking will be better.

Drawbacks are slightly less inertia on take off starts (more throttle), more NGR (neutral gear rattle) and a touchier throttle.

The light flywheels currently available are just the right weight for street use (and club track use). Aluminum flywheels have the option of being rebuilt, but cannot hold up to the heat as well as a steel flywheel. Subsequently they tend to fail quicker under hard use or drag race applications. The friction plate on the flywheel takes all the heat, which distorts and makes hot spots. The results are chatter and reduced holding power.

The best flywheels for street use are the chromoly type. They are lighter, rated not to come apart at high rpm (SFI) and take the heat. This is what is used in the Club Race version of the Competition Viper Coupe. Tilton has these for about $1100 or you can get a different lower cost version from us or Parts Rack (price is about the same as the aluminum ones $300-$425 depending on the model).

Whenever you change the flywheel, replace the flywheel bolts and drive shaft bolts and straps. If your clutch is warn, replace it and include the hydraulic slave assembly and pilot bearing. Do not skimp or you will have to do it all over again later.

Hope this helps.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lighter flywheel will give better throttle response, the engine will come into the power band quicker, full throttle shifts will be more positive and decel engine braking will be better.

Drawbacks are slightly less inertia on take off starts (more throttle), more NGR (neutral gear rattle) and a touchier throttle.

The light flywheels currently available are just the right weight for street use (and club track use). Aluminum flywheels have the option of being rebuilt, but cannot hold up to the heat as well as a steel flywheel. Subsequently they tend to fail quicker under hard use or drag race applications. The friction plate on the flywheel takes all the heat, which distorts and makes hot spots. The results are chatter and reduced holding power.

The best flywheels for street use are the chromoly type. They are lighter, rated not to come apart at high rpm (SFI) and take the heat. This is what is used in the Club Race version of the Competition Viper Coupe. Tilton has these for about $1100 or you can get a different lower cost version from us or Parts Rack (price is about the same as the aluminum ones $300-$425 depending on the model).

Whenever you change the flywheel, replace the flywheel bolts and drive shaft bolts and straps. If your clutch is warn, replace it and include the hydraulic slave assembly and pilot bearing. Do not skimp or you will have to do it all over again later.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the detailed description.........:2tu:

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont claim to know anything about anything. Im not a racer and probably never will be. However...a cr molly flywheel did in fact increase throttle response significantly and made the car more fun to drive. Wait till your clutch goes out to do one.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont claim to know anything about anything. Im not a racer and probably never will be. However...a cr molly flywheel did in fact increase throttle response significantly and made the car more fun to drive. Wait till your clutch goes out to do one.

Agreed...I did the same thing and saw similar gains.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hee, hee. I built a replica Cobra with a Dodge 340 from a Duster. I changed the stock 45lb (?) flywheel for a hogged out 12# one. Yes, the weight of the vehicle also changed about 1000# so it was really quick, but zinging the throttle in neutral was scary. Good scary.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I can find the article I'll post but a 01 z06 was outfitted with a light weight flywheel and new Clutch and shaved a little over two seconds from 0-150.
I recommend them just for ease of driving and downshift rev match, not yo mention u yet in the rpm band quicker. I did new stock clutch for $200at the same time.
Also whatever dc performance says is good.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated earlier, engine spins up quicker. quicker is better only if you like it.

I like mine very much, but I'm used to it. Early on it was a PITA. If you do road course work, its really in its element. Otherwise I'd go with the folks who recommend tires or some other improved-driving-experience mod first.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you know their is allways a price to pay somewhere else for that flywheel untill you finally make a complete balance of nutrition so to speak,meaning there are alot of differant combos you can do.:teeter: and get a severe reaction.