Is getting the Maxcare worth it on a heavily modded Viper?

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to make a decision in the next few months as to whether to get a Maxcare extended warranty on my modded 2005 Viper. I want to know whether its worth or make sense to getting one since my car is somewhat heavily modified.

Here is the list of mods:

Paxton Supercharger
M&M headers
No cats
Corsa 3" track
Quaife Diff
3.55 rear gear
DC flash
Stoptech 2pc rotors
Fidanza Alum Flywheel

And will be installing the ACT HD clutch soon...

With above mods, is getting the Maxcare warranty worth it or not? Thanks for your feedback.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get the mods done at the dealer? I wouldn't call the warranty center...the answer will be no. If you have a good relationship with the dealer doing the work, though, it may still fly. Talk to your service manager. Be up front that you won't buy the warranty from them unless they back stuff that might happen due to the mods. Anything they can remotely say is related to a modification, which on your car will be everything, they can opt out of.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No cats! I am willing to bet that kills every chance of a warranty even on electrical, mechanical items, etc.. even though those problems are not even remotely related. They get pretty sticky on that considering it is technically illegal. I would be suprised if they extended it to you with the mods you have listed though I happen to like all of them.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless your very friendly with the owner of the dealership and or a GREAT customer i would venture to say it is going to be difficult .

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing they would cover would be if your power window motor blew.

I had a similar warranty (GMPP) when I had my modded/blown Z06 and as long as the warranty claim had NOTHING to do with the mods, it was fine (and the law, actually). If you go in and say my tranny won't go into gear anymore, then that's your problem. If you go in and say my power locks or windows don't work, that's their problem. I'd say don't bother, as any real high-dollar problem has been potentially voided by your mods.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing they would cover would be if your power window motor blew.

I had a similar warranty (GMPP) when I had my modded/blown Z06 and as long as the warranty claim had NOTHING to do with the mods, it was fine (and the law, actually). If you go in and say my tranny won't go into gear anymore, then that's your problem. If you go in and say my power locks or windows don't work, that's their problem. I'd say don't bother, as any real high-dollar problem has been potentially voided by your mods.
Exactly TRUE ,if theres an engine ,tranny or driveline problem a common answer from the dealer is that the components are failing as a result from the strain on them due to the added horsepower from the mods.WARRANTY CLAIM DENIED.In this cause the customer would have to prove the above is not true-good luck.

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedbacks.
I guess I have a good relationship with the local dealer and they seem to be somewhat mods friendly.
I doubt they will honor any warranty claim for powertrain/ drivetrain related problems but I will check with them anyway. If they are cool with my mods then I'll get the maxcare, if not, then I will be on my own.

BTW, what does the Maxcare cover? Is this a bumper to bumper type of warranty or just a powertrain/ drivetrain warranty?

Thanks, Gregory

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg( before you spend that kind of money) ask them flat out in the event of a catostrophic engine ,tranny or driveline failure what happens.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper has many expensive parts that have nothing to do with your mods. For instance, take a look at what replacing a front light unit costs. Also, do not. I stress DO NOT mention that you do not have cats. Deleting cats for an on road use vehicle is illegal. Any dealer who gets involved with doing same for an on road vehicle and then gets caught risks more than just a fine.

By the way, have you considered the long term impact of the noise produced by a catless Viper on your hearing? I had a supercharged 1999 GTS with high flow cats and I actually suffered some hearing loss. Not alot, but some. The first sign is a low level ringing in your ears. The next sign is difficulty hearing certain sounds at certain frequencies. It may be cool to run catless but it is also dangerous to your hearing. Of course, there are ear plugs. For the track they are great. For cruising around town, they are illegal since you will not be able to hear an emergency vehicle approaching.

OP
OP
Greg-TT

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper has many expensive parts that have nothing to do with your mods. For instance, take a look at what replacing a front light unit costs. Also, do not. I stress DO NOT mention that you do not have cats. Deleting cats for an on road use vehicle is illegal. Any dealer who gets involved with doing same for an on road vehicle and then gets caught risks more than just a fine.

By the way, have you considered the long term impact of the noise produced by a catless Viper on your hearing? I had a supercharged 1999 GTS with high flow cats and I actually suffered some hearing loss. Not alot, but some. The first sign is a low level ringing in your ears. The next sign is difficulty hearing certain sounds at certain frequencies. It may be cool to run catless but it is also dangerous to your hearing. Of course, there are ear plugs. For the track they are great. For cruising around town, they are illegal since you will not be able to hear an emergency vehicle approaching.
Ok, then I won't tell the dealer that I have no cats (but don't they usually know when smell the exhaust fume?). About the hearing loss, I won't be using the car as I used to. The car will be driven on the track most of the time and on the freeway occasionally. I will be using the ear plugs whenever I drive the car.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, then I won't tell the dealer that I have no cats (but don't they usually know when smell the exhaust fume?). About the hearing loss, I won't be using the car as I used to. The car will be driven on the track most of the time and on the freeway occasionally. I will be using the ear plugs whenever I drive the car.

They will hear it and smell it. But it is still best not to talk about it. Have you considered high flow cats? I put high flow cats on my GTS, my former car, because the stock cats were damaged and had to be replaced anyway. I do not think that the performance difference between high flow cats and no cats is worth the possible consequences of driving a catless car on the road. Another method is to install switch activated dumper tubes off the end of the headers for track use only and run high flow cats. Talk about loud!!! When the dumper tubes are opened, the sound is deadly.

PJJP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Bobpantax...there are plenty of expensive parts. I got my warranty online somewhere for much cheaper than dealer offered.

toomanymodz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I lost about half of my hearing due to the many years of driving fast (and loud) cars. No fun at all. The constant ringing is annoying. The ringing can literally start overnight. Word to the wise... keep your exhaust volume at a reasonable level.

Reaction score
I know I will catch hell for this but trust me when I say that the warranty company's are really changing the way that they inspect claims and modifications. If you read the fine print it says that the warranty can be voided if there are ANY non factory parts on the car. I know what you are thinking about the MM act but with this disclaimer YOU will still have to prove that this was not the cause. You will spend your money on the litigation and that is what they are hoping you won't do.

I have been really frustrated with them lately and I can only imagine they will get worse. If the inspector is called to come and verify the claim I have been told he is not paid for the job unless he finds a reason NOT to cover the repairs. I don't know if this is true but it came from a good source.

If you have a dealer that is willing to fight for your coverage that is great but they will not win all the time that is certain. You can only hope that that they can soften the blow you will take in the end for the repairs.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I will catch hell for this but trust me when I say that the warranty company's are really changing the way that they inspect claims and modifications. If you read the fine print it says that the warranty can be voided if there are ANY non factory parts on the car. I know what you are thinking about the MM act but with this disclaimer YOU will still have to prove that this was not the cause. You will spend your money on the litigation and that is what they are hoping you won't do.

I have been really frustrated with them lately and I can only imagine they will get worse. If the inspector is called to come and verify the claim I have been told he is not paid for the job unless he finds a reason NOT to cover the repairs. I don't know if this is true but it came from a good source.

If you have a dealer that is willing to fight for your coverage that is great but they will not win all the time that is certain. You can only hope that that they can soften the blow you will take in the end for the repairs.
Thank you Mark your points are exactly what i was trying to express in my previous posts on this.Its great for a customer to say they will fight to keep warranty coverage if mods are involved, but inturn that customer had better realize that fight can be expensive ,aggreviating and in the end they may lose.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"If you can't do the time, don't do the crime." Barretta

If you can't pay the bill, you can't afford the thrill. Bobpantax

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year a buddy of mine went thru this with his Z06 .The guy bought the car 2 hours away at a dealer in Atlantic City and was having warranty work done by an unfriendly local dealer who redflagged him for certain perf parts.(my friend had a tranny problem which the zone rep and dealer CLAIMED was induced by running too much power thru it.) was not worth it to fight it is as his personal lawyer bills at a rate of 300 an hour and there was good chance he would have lost in the end anyway.