Is it just me or is this Viper overpriced???

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 Yellow Dodge Viper Last year for RT/10 only 20,000 original miles

Ok, so last week I'm searching for a Viper for my friend and I come across this ad. I see that the car has more miles then my '01 and it's basically the exact same car (except a year newer). Now I've been looking for a clean Viper for my buddy and I've seen some extremely clean cars well below $57,500. Heck, I paid 45k out the door with a clear bra and the car only had 13,900 miles. I also have both tops and the car was in very good condition when I purchased it 1 1/2 years ago.

So I email the guy and tell him that his car is a little overpriced (like 10-15k overpriced) and that he should probably fix his numerous spelling errors in his ad. He writes back to me, "thanks for your input but the car sold over the weekend for 55K". I congratulate him on the sale and I'm happy because I own basically the same car and I'm glad to see the high price that he got for it.

Today, my friend emails the guy himself asking if he still has the car. The guy replies that he still has it for sale. My buddy then asks him why the car is so much more than others he's been looking at. He asks the guy if it has a supercharger or extensive engine mods. The guy writes back with an attitude stating, "if you're looking for a clean car then this is it, if you're looking for a cheap car, don't waste my time".

Am I out of line or does this car seem to justify such a high price?

Why would the guy lie and say the car was sold and several days later say the car is still for sale?

Does anyone know this owner or is he on the board?

Mike
2001 Yellow RT/10

Last edited:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '02 ACR in Graphite (1 of 17) and I know my car wouldn't sell currently for $57500...but someday it will be worth much, much more....I just have to wait 30-40 years.

The car in question is a $40k car at best.

Regards,
Aaron

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately the RT/10s did not hold their value as well as the GTSs and therefore there is always a few thousand dollar difference at least. This car in this case is overpriced by around $10,000 to $15,000 depending on location and condition outside of mileage.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '01 Yellow RT/10, exceptionally clean, both tops, etc. with 6K miles for less than that 2 years ago. He's smoking crack. He's looking for that new sucker born every day, you aren't one of them and you can spell and so he moved on to the next prospect.

nickdiaz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've dealt with the same issue from a seller's perspective. I'm trying to sell my 2002 Red RT/10, and feel that it is worth in the mid to high 40's, based on similar cars currently and previously on the market. Some have sold in the low 50s. So I don't think the guy with the yellow viper is "smoking crack", I think there is just a big range of perspective on what late-gen2's are worth.

Alas, despite the great condition of my car, I haven't had any solid hits, except by salespeople who want me to list my car in their magazine or service.

So I'm tired of being "dead right", and have dropped my sale price to $39,700. That's right about what KBB reports the car is worth, given the condition. We'll see if that gets more traffic.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, in the end he is smoking crack after all and not setting a realistic price for his Viper.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you want to torture yourself with this guy??? If he does not want to sell it cheaper, so he does not...

besides... If I want 45K for mine, I am not really interrested what YOU think mine is worth.

He's car is overpriced, so it will not sell anytime soon. There are plenty of clean low mileage cars to choose from.

Dont waste your time on unopened pistachios....

OP
OP

01 RT SNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I just took more of an interest in it after he told me it sold for $55k, only to find out he lied and it's still for sale. I guess he's just trying to save face.

Mike
2001 RT/10

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently purchased an 02 ACR in perfect condition with 4,900 miles from the original owner for $47,000.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
"Never raced or recked. Kept in tempature ..."

lol! Hurts my brain to read that.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!!:2tu:

Thanks MTGTS, I had an 02 GTS before that I purchased new in 03 for a great price. A while back I had a chance to sell it to a car collector in Japan for more then I had paid for it. I have been looking for the right one to buy since until I found the 02 ACR. I'm in Cape Coral, FL.

V

venms96

I recently purchased an 02 ACR in perfect condition with 4,900 miles from the original owner for $47,000.

Great buy, no doubt - but not the "norm". Florida cars scare me to begin with, but from the Original Owner, etc. I'm sure it was the real deal - some sellers can "afford" to let their cars "go" - like that.

I guess I just took more of an interest in it after he told me it sold for $55k, only to find out he lied and it's still for sale. I guess he's just trying to save face.

You might be jumping to conclusions - maybe a "tire kicker" or someone else said he was going to buy it, or maybe he simply thought it was sold to someone - but the deal didn't go thru. Prices are all over the place - but when looking at the highs and the lows - it's not hard figure out what a realistic price is for every year Viper out there. My opinion and observations of course, but I don't think it's difficult to see what is under/over or correctly priced.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My freind sold his 8000 mile 2002 gts for 53k, it was very nice. I have a rt 10, and aways thought that it was weird that in the viper world the conv.are cheaper then hard tops.I think most the time about 10000 for the same car.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great buy, no doubt - but not the "norm". Florida cars scare me to begin with, but from the Original Owner, etc. I'm sure it was the real deal - some sellers can "afford" to let their cars "go" - like that.

I know it was a great buy. That's why I went all the way to Memphis, TN from south Florida pulling my enclosed car trailer to get it. I did the 1,800 mile round trip leaving on Friday morning and making it back early Sunday morning.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My freind sold his 8000 mile 2002 gts for 53k, it was very nice. I have a rt 10, and aways thought that it was weird that in the viper world the conv.are cheaper then hard tops.I think most the time about 10000 for the same car.

That is true in a lot of cars. If you buy a Lamborghini, Ferrari or Porsche the roadsters are always cost significately more then a coupe.

ViperVenom523

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a 2001 RT/10 yellow/black with 9,000 miles mint 1 owner at D&M motorsports in chicago, they want 45,800, I looked at it and it was a complete beauty in excellent condition inside and out. Personally im in the market for a GTS but im not planning on buying until spring as I have other stuff i need to get out of the way first but seriously someone should buy that car, besides if anyone here is familiar with D&M they know vipers

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a 2001 RT/10 yellow/black with 9,000 miles mint 1 owner at D&M motorsports in chicago, they want 45,800, I looked at it and it was a complete beauty in excellent condition inside and out. Personally im in the market for a GTS but im not planning on buying until spring as I have other stuff i need to get out of the way first but seriously someone should buy that car, besides if anyone here is familiar with D&M they know vipers

For that price, and maybe knock off a bit, I'd consider buying a second one myself! Can't go wrong with a yellow '01 RT/10. :2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine