Is the 2008 Viper a GEN 3/3.5/4

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
...Who named the Gen II a Gen II?...

Ron Smith begrudgingly allowed the VCA to call it that.....Dodge was calling it by the 'SR' code name back then, and the 'next generation' car.

We 'all' just called it Gen II. BLAME MAURICE !!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 is a Gen IV. By SRT Marketing's reckoning, the plant's reckoning, and most of us as well. Will it demand a forum of its own? Nope! Those Gen I & Gen II kids seem to play well together so I suspect that the Gen III & Gen IV folks will be just fine too. :2tu:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it this way theres nothing that a Gen 3 can do that a Gen 4 can not due (in some cases )alot better.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Look at it this way theres nothing that a Gen 3 can do, that a Gen 4 can not do (in some cases ) a lot better.

Hmmmm..... I had to SSTRRRRRRRETCHHH to come up with these:

a Gen 3 can drive with NO AIR in its OE tires
a Gen 3 can easily accept a seat-lowering kit.
a Gen 3 can accept a few more mods without throwing a CEL.
a Gen 3 can be had for <$45k

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I go by the industry norm for a description of a new vehicle or new generation. That is the body or chassis must be changed significantly. In this case the chassis is the same and the body is the same (with a new hood). I know of no car in history that was considered new based on a new powertrain alone. For example the Corvette C2 started with a 327 and ended with a 427 and was still a C2. Much bigger change.

For the Viper it seems people want to designate things for personal reasons. Whether it is to help sales (read marketing) and show newness or improve personal vehicle value (read owners). I do know that when the 2003 was started Team Viper tried to state it as "Chaprter 2." That is 2nd generation. Unfortunately, so many owners used Gen 2 for the 1996 Coupe the Chapter 2 version did not hold. For the 2008 they started to call the engine the 4th generation of the engine. And that would be quite accurate as the 1992-1996, 1996-2002, 2003-2006 and 2008+ have significant differences in the engine (blocks, heads, etc).

But now that the Gen 4 name has been firmly established I reluctantly am going along with it. Consistency is also important.

This is coming from a powertrain guy (engineer in powertrain for what seems like an eternity) and someone who believes the engine is the core of an automobile.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm..... I had to SSTRRRRRRRETCHHH to come up with these:

a Gen 3 can drive with NO AIR in its OE tires
a Gen 3 can easily accept a seat-lowering kit.
a Gen 3 can accept a few more mods without throwing a CEL.
a Gen 3 can be had for <$45k
OK besides the above LOL there is nothing a Gen 4 can do better than a GEN 3