Is the 2008 Viper a GEN 3/3.5/4

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I remember there was alot of discussion on this, everyone gave there thoughts. But I never saw any comfirmation of what the 2008 will be. I tried searching and came up with nothing. But then I saw a post from our President, Bob Carrol, he called the 2008 a Gen IV.
http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/607676-big-day-tomorrow.html

So is it a Gen 4 then? Are we getting a new forum or add on to the Gen 3 forum?
Was just curious as they will start hitting the streets soon.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With a new engine and hood plus a few chassis tuning tweaks the '08 would still be a Gen 3.

If it were considered a new generation, Corvettes would be in their 50th generation:

Gen 1 6 cyl
Gen2 265 V8
Gen3 '56 Body Style
Gen4 '58 Body Style
Gen5 283 V8
Gen6 '61 Body Style
Gen7 '62 Body Style 327V8
Gen8 '63 Body Style
Gen9 396 V8
Gen10 427 V8
Gen11 '68 Body Style
Gen12 350 V8
Gen13 '70 Body Style, 454 V8
Gen14 '73 Body Style
Gen15 '74 Body Style
Gen16 '78 Body Style
Gen17 '80 Body Style
Gen18 '84 Body Stlye
Gen19 '92 LT-1

OK, you should be able to see how stupid his gets and I left out several minor body changes on the order of a new hood......

Gen3

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think only history will tell. If this turns out to be the last Viper, then it's a Gen 4. If there's a new Viper in another 3 years, then it was a Gen 3.5.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given the extent of changes (and lack thereof, e.g., general body styling) between Gen 1 and Gen 2, the present changes between the Gen 3 and the new car indicate sufficient distinctions to be a Gen 4. Note that the Gen 1.5 was a 1 year transitional model, which clearly isn't the case with the new car, so designating the new car a Gen 3.5 doesn't seem to be an accurate representation.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree there is enough changes to bring it out of gen 3, but I would not call it a gen 4 either.

I would also say 3.5.

Jeff

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A car has 2 main areas of development: Chassis and engine. Formula 1, the pinnacle of motorsports, is defined by chassis and engine teams.

Gen 1: New chassis, new engine
Gen 2: New chassis, new engine
Gen 3: New chassis, new engine
2008 : OLD chassis, new engine. It's must be a Gen 3.5

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So who makes the "Final" say on 3.5 or 4. I was always in love with the Viper, but wasnt around them or forums 10 years ago. So who made the call on Gen 1 to Gen 2. Is it the people, the club, or does Chrysler come out and say here it is the new "2008 Gen ??? "

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who says no chassis changes??? New tires, New shock valving, and new alignment specs... The 2008 is Gen IV. It was called Gen IV at the VCA - Viper Powertrain Engineering presentations... by the Chrysler Guys.

20% power bump, three/two syncro trans, new diff... plus a 300+ day downtime to get all the changes into Connor. AND no 2007 MY...

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I agree with your logic, but disagree with your conclusion. My feeling - GEN 4. As the engine, trans, rear end, shock valving, and tires esentially are the chassis it IS a different generation. Only thing that remains is the frame being the same and when you throw in the new hood, colors available, and interior customizations it all adds up to a Gen 4.

A car has 2 main areas of development: Chassis and engine. Formula 1, the pinnacle of motorsports, is defined by chassis and engine teams.

Gen 1: New chassis, new engine
Gen 2: New chassis, new engine
Gen 3: New chassis, new engine
2008 : OLD chassis, new engine. It's must be a Gen 3.5

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
New motor, new rear end, new transmission, new radiators/fan, new airbags, new interiors, new suspension calibration, new tires, new.............and the list goes on for the 50-70 million dollar model change. Chrysler calls it a Gen IV, and there are supposedly more overall changes than when the Gen I went to a Gen II. We asked for power and mechanical upgrades, and we got them, just in sheep's clothing. The competitors don't see all the changes, yet we know.

One drive in the 08 is all it takes to convince anyone, this is a Gen IV and Dodge calls it one for a very simple reason -- it is a terrific evolution.:2tu:

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
New motor, new rear end, new transmission, new radiators/fan, new airbags, new interiors, new suspension calibration, new tires, new.............and the list goes on for the 50-70 million dollar model change. Chrysler calls it a Gen IV, and there are supposedly more overall changes than when the Gen I went to a Gen II. We asked for power and mechanical upgrades, and we got them, just in sheep's clothing. The competitors don't see all the changes, yet we know.

One drive in the 08 is all it takes to convince anyone, this is a Gen IV and Dodge calls it one for a very simple reason -- it is a terrific evolution.:2tu:

Thanks Bill, thats really what i wanted to know. What is Chrysler calling it?? So Gen 4 it is.

And as "Fast Too" said.."does it really matter"..... Probably doenst to some, but its nice to KNOW, to keep up with the History and Evolving of the Viper. Sometimes at club events, guys dont say I have a 2004, they say I have a SRT or a Gen 3. Or they say I got a Gen 2 and you pretty much know what they got. So now a few lucky people will get to say I got a Gen 4 an I'll be envious of them crusing around in there 2008.:2tu:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II differences from the Gen I?:

50 more hp.
louver over the front fenders.
18’’ wheels.
Single throttle body.
A coupe version with rear exhaust.
Electric windows?
Adjustable pedals.
Koni shocks?

Seems like as much or more in the 08's. I'm sure I'm missing some things.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im pouring thru the new 11"x14" 2008 SRT10 Sales Brochure as I write this... This very website is mentioned, there is no mention of Gen IV. Just because an informal discussion on this site used the term does not make it "official" and if 1-2 auto-writers use it, there is a 50% chance its bogus.

Great new driveline and hood tho..... I expect an undisputed new edition to be Gen 4 at Decade's end.....

MQQNVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I vote for Gen 3.141592. . . That way you can have you Pi and eat it, too! Or is that cake . . .? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gen II differences from the Gen I?:

50 more hp...................... ACTUALLY +35hp Vs. 96 RT
louver over the front fenders............. AND NACA DUCT
18’’ wheels....................... NOT TIL 99
Single throttle body............ NOT TIL 2003
A coupe version with rear exhaust......... GEN 1 EUROPE and 96 RT HAD THIS
Electric windows? ...............96.5+ ALL GEN 2-3
Adjustable pedals.
Koni shocks?..................... GEN 1 and 2 ex 01-2 ACR

Seems like as much or more in the 08's. I'm sure I'm missing some things.

THE YEAR MATTERS ! Gen II significant for

Entirely new "LIGHTWEIGHT" Motor with conventional cooling, +35HP
Aluminum Suspension.
Aero-front fascia
Airbags

and much more

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE YEAR MATTERS ! Gen II significant for

Entirely new "LIGHTWEIGHT" Motor with conventional cooling, +35HP
Aluminum Suspension.
Aero-front fascia
Airbags

and much more

Your such a " Know it all" John. :lmao:

Thanks

So you would say it's still should be considered a Gen III not a Gen IV?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your such a " Know it all" Jon.......

Thanks, So you would say it's still should be considered a Gen III not a Gen IV?

I sure think of 2008 SRT10 as a G-III on Steroids. But my opinion means SQUAT if Dodge Marketing sez "its a Gen 4." I just have not seen the G-4 moniker in any Official medium. including the huge 2008 Sales Brochure. That said, Dodge has not marketed the cars with a "Generational Equivalent" term !

Fact is, INTERNALLY at Dodge, they almost all definitely call it the GEN IV.... even tho there seems to have bene a friendly debate there as well

Last edited:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT engine designers made many references to Gen IV in the last 2 issues of Viper Magazine. There were enough changes that I decided to trade in the 2006. I guess that's what the marketing people want...:)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........ There were enough changes that I decided to trade in the 2006. I guess that's what the marketing people want...:)

DODGE / SRT MARKETING REPLY:

I went to the source, being a bit skeptical myself. Here is the reply from SRT Marketing:
(posted with permission of course)
Jon,
Officially, we don't market Vipers as "Gen __", but internally we definitely refer to the 2008 car as the Gen IV Viper. It is a significantly different car that took a lot of engineering time to make happen - especially with the powertrain. Just because the marketing guy says that it is a Gen IV doesn't mean everyone would believe it anyhow (funny how that works). In the end, I think that the customer is the one who has to decide. It's not just a name, it is something the car has to earn.

That being said, given that with the 2006 car it was always a lot of work to find enough orders to keep the plant running steady, and now we already have enough orders to fill out the majority of the model year, I would definitely say that the customers have voted (with their orders) and it is truly a new generation car.

So, did I change your mind? **********************

So, I guess he DID change my mind, and SmogDog confirms MARKETING'S wishes and belief: the dramatically different 2008 changes, and demand between '06 and '08 --I think equates to the proof that the Viper Nation has decided that the car IS the next generation Viper. {And THANKS to SRT for the quick and candid reply}

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I too was on the fence about this (Jons unite). I guess I'll just ride the Gen IV wave on this one. Maybe wolf in sheeps clothing is a good analogy (athough I hardly consider my 06 a sheep.. lol). The 06 and 08 look the same short of the hood.. but I guess its what is underneath the skin that matters.

Ok, I'll begrudenly call it a gen 4 !

Jon