Is the coupe DOA versus the Z06??

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, I leave for a little while and I end up missing the best part. Last thing I remember I was trying to help warfang and looks like things got out of control... It's too bad people can't have a discussion here without someone getting nasty, there is nothing more childish than resorting to name calling... :(

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dang, I leave for a little while and I end up missing the best part. Last thing I remember I was trying to help warfang and looks like things got out of control... It's too bad people can't have a discussion here without someone getting nasty, there is nothing more childish than resorting to name calling... :(

It wasn't "people", it was "person". Anyway, Tony cleaned up the mess and we can all move along.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dang, I leave for a little while and I end up missing the best part. Last thing I remember I was trying to help warfang and looks like things got out of control... It's too bad people can't have a discussion here without someone getting nasty, there is nothing more childish than resorting to name calling...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn't "people", it was "person". Anyway, Tony cleaned up the mess and we can all move along

Isn't that what I said...SOMEONE=PERSON

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, waaaaay beyond name calling. And thank you Vipermad! And just to make sure any one pulling up this thread in the future is confused about why it was cleaned up.....It had nothing to do with the insulting comments about the moderator. That stuff just bounces off our moderator, this was a much more serious offense upon a fellow poster.

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its not over till DC sings.............
Viper will always be the bad boy on the block... Corvette can sugar coat all they want... In the end, it is still "JUST" a corvette.. :usa: :usa: :2tu: :2tu:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper will always be the bad boy on the block... Corvette can sugar coat all they want... In the end, it is still "JUST" a corvette.. :usa: :usa: :2tu: :2tu:

Absolutely... pick a gen... ANY gen. Vettes can play leapfrog with performance, but doesn't come close in personality. Vipers will always be more FUN and EXHILARATING to drive. :2tu:

OP
OP
V

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who started this idiotic post?

I did. And it is still a valid question to consider if the Coupe will have market appeal given its competition in the Z06 at $25k cheaper.

Some people seem to take it personally though.

:eek: :eek:

ViperLB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've taken a ride in a Z06 at Bowling Green, and its the 1st car (that was sub 100k)in a very long time to actually make me gush with a little envy. Amazing power off the line, but yet its still a car I could drive every single day, rain or shine. The car looks 1000x better in person - you can't tell how much wider and lower to the ground this car is compared to a stock C6 in pictures.

Given the choice of a Viper or a Z06, it would be a no brainer to choose the Z06 at $20k less for me. The Viper styling no longer sets the car apart from the Vette like it did with the GTS. Performance is identical, if not better for the Vette, syling is very similar, vette has many more options, etc.

This is the actual Z06 I took a ride in.
You must be registered for see images

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken a ride in a Z06 at Bowling Green, and its the 1st car (that was sub 100k)in a very long time to actually make me gush with a little envy. Amazing power off the line, but yet its still a car I could drive every single day, rain or shine. The car looks 1000x better in person - you can't tell how much wider and lower to the ground this car is compared to a stock C6 in pictures.

Given the choice of a Viper or a Z06, it would be a no brainer to choose the Z06 at $20k less for me. The Viper styling no longer sets the car apart from the Vette like it did with the GTS. Performance is identical, if not better for the Vette, syling is very similar, vette has many more options, etc.

This is the actual Z06 I took a ride in.
You must be registered for see images

Deja vu alll over again...

Look, your points are well taken, DC HAS dropped the ball, but it's still not a "no-brainer." $20k (if you don't get ripped off by the dealer) is worth the price of driving a Viper. A z06 is just a vette. So if they supercharged the heck out of a Hyundai Tiburon, you'll be all over that? Good luck to you then.

You can buy a house with 6 rooms in a ghetto that would cost less than a house with 3 rooms in an affluent area. I'll take the 3 rooms, than you. Go live in the ghetto if you want. :p
------

Aside: I still find it odd that all these newbs coming in here trying to sound so even handed, but somehow side with the vettes. OH! and somehow, they were lucky enough to have access to a Z06.... I wonder how many real Viper owners "ran" into someone that was an exec with a z06 and was willing to give them a ride? hmmmm...

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"Given the choice of a Viper or a Z06, it would be a no brainer to choose the Z06 at $20k less for me."

The ZO6 lists for around $70k {2006 Chevrolet ZO6 Corvette 500HP Dealers Sticker Price: $69,995)
and, dealers adding from 5 to 10k for "market adjustment",and some are willing to pay more than 10k over sticker price 10k over sticker you wont see the 20-25k saving over the Viper. Just as the market is forcing the Z06 price up, it is bringing Viper price down to invoice level or even less...The price gap will be much closer than you think...

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how many real Viper owners "ran" into someone that was an exec with a z06 and was willing to give them a ride? hmmmm...

Good point! :2tu:

ViperLB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car is $65,000 plus delivery charge ($700 i think). Navigation, heated seats, and CD changer are the only real options. Numerous dealers on the covette forum I've found offering MSRP, but you'll be so far down the list by now you'll be waiting until December or early Spring.

I wouldn't put too much into that ebay ad - look at the bidders feedback. Someone just playing around.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

........Says the Dodge owner

I can give .02 who's faster since I'm not brand loyal, but a Dodge owner downplaying a Chevy is pretty funny. It's ok I'm sure Ferrari owners say the same about Vipers. :eek:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can give .02 who's faster since I'm not brand loyal, but a Dodge owner downplaying a Chevy is pretty funny. It's ok I'm sure Ferrari owners say the same about Vipers. :eek:

Nothing funny about it... this IS the VIPER club website last time I checked. Now a non-viper owner coming here to talk smack... THAT's funny. :p

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nothing funny about it... this IS the VIPER club website last time I checked. Now a non-viper owner coming here to talk smack... THAT's funny. :p

I'm no talking smack I'm just stating the obvious. I'm not trying to steal the Viper's thunder just that it's comical to think a Dodge (chevy or Ford) is top of the food chain.

But you're right this is a Viper board and heaven forbid anyone be critical of the car they drive. Hate to break it to you but EVER car has flaws, but then again I'm not narrowminded enough to see it.

I'm not a Viper owner ...yet, but I am a Dodge owner and that's what a Viper IS.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '97 C5 because I wasn't ready to spend the other $25k on a Viper. That's the ONLY reason one would buy a Corvette and not a Viper.

ZO6 for $75k, or Viper for $88K. Viper all the way!

And wait until there are 7000 ZO6s a year being produced. That $75 will be even harder to spend on a dime-a-dozen Vette.

The ZO6 should be a GREAT car. But a Vette for $75,000. You gotta be NUTS! Or just RICH ******! :D

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '97 C5 because I wasn't ready to spend the other $25k on a Viper. That's the ONLY reason one would buy a Corvette and not a Viper.

And wait until there are 7000 ZO6s a year being produced. That $75 will be even harder to spend on a dime-a-dozen Vette.

The ZO6 should be a GREAT car. But a Vette for $75,000. You gotta be NUTS! Or just RICH ******! :D

That's like saying those who buy Vipers is because they can't afford a Ferrari. This my be true is SOME cases but certainly not all. I know many Ferrari owners who also own Z06 and I'm sure some Viper owners can afford a Ferrari. It's just that they chose the car out of likeness rather than affordability.

FWIW GM is "said" to be building the C6 Z06 at 50% of the numbers of the C5 Z06 which was 6000/yr.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper is not special because it is a Dodge, a Viper is special because of the emotions it ellicits from the owner and general public. It does this for many reasons, but let's focus on the 2 most obvious. It is VERY rare to see one on the road, and its 'presense' is right up there with the other exotics (If not more than most). The Viper IS something special. Viper owner's know this, and that is what they are trying to portray when they say, 'it's just a Vette' (BTW, I'm sure they are referring to the 'newer' Vettes C4-C6, and not the classics). I'm not trying to knock the C6 Z06, but the reality is it will not get a second look 2 years from now, at best. Probably 1. Does that make it any lesser of a car? I guess that's up to the individual to decide. But I'm sure Gen I owners will be happy to jump in and say how people flip over there car. And this is a car that is 13 years old. I wonder how many people flip out over this? This is what we mean when we say, 'It's just a Vette'.

2089Corvette_1992.jpg

Mach10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am a Ferrari owner and i own a Viper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have a point to your thread?? I didn't think so............

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

I am a Ferrari owner and i own a Viper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have a point to your thread?? I didn't think so............

[/QUOTE]

Forget it went over your head. :cool:

And if you didn't notice I also own/owned several Italians.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper is not special because it is a Dodge, a Viper is special because of the emotions it ellicits from the owner and general public. It does this for many reasons, but let's focus on the 2 most obvious. It is VERY rare to see one on the road, and its 'presense' is right up there with the other exotics (If not more than most). The Viper IS something special. Viper owner's know this, and that is what they are trying to portray when they say, 'it's just a Vette' (BTW, I'm sure they are referring to the 'newer' Vettes C4-C6, and not the classics). I'm not trying to knock the C6 Z06, but the reality is it will not get a second look 2 years from now, at best. Probably 1. Does that make it any lesser of a car? I guess that's up to the individual to decide. But I'm sure Gen I owners will be happy to jump in and say how people flip over there car. And this is a car that is 13 years old. I wonder how many people flip out over this? This is what we mean when we say, 'It's just a Vette'.

2089Corvette_1992.jpg

I agree w/ you 100% obout the C4,C5, and soon C6. They are just "too common" for my tatse and that is why there isn't one in the garage.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's like saying those who buy Vipers is because they can't afford a Ferrari. This my be true is SOME cases but certainly not all. I know many Ferrari owners who also own Z06 and I'm sure some Viper owners can afford a Ferrari. It's just that they chose the car out of likeness rather than affordability.

FWIW GM is "said" to be building the C6 Z06 at 50% of the numbers of the C5 Z06 which was 6000/yr.

BUT... it'll still look like the regular C6 at what? 20,000/yr?

There will always be a car more expensive and faster than whatever car you call your favorite. "You have a Ferarri? Fooey! I have a Lambo, Bugatti, Keoningseg, Saleen, etc etc etc..." That line of arguement is pointless. When people say that a vette is "just a vette", they are not referring to the brand or cost of the car, but how special the car is. I don't think anyone here would scoff at a c1-3 vette because they are special in their own rite. The last few vette versions have been visually bland and compromised performance-wise in order to appease a larger segment of drivers to "drive" up sales. The Viper, for the most part (don't get me started on DC sleeping on the job), is an uncompromised driving monster. It is not a street car good enough for racing. It's a race car good enough for the street.

Designed with help from Shelby, the Viper is the demonchild of the AC Cobra. There's a reason when I pull behind a Ferarri, people notice the Viper. And BECAUSE it's "just" a Dodge makes it so appealling. It's an underdog that came from nowhere and kicked the butts off most Ferarris and Lambos at it's inception. An AMERICAN car dared to tread where only lineaged hoitytoity euroexotics did. And honestly, it was not done with finess, it was done by brute power... HOW AMERICAN! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :usa: :usa: :usa:

It hurts knowing Dodge is a ***** shop nowadays. :(

The ViperClub is here to serve people who like Vipers. Duh. That there are technically better cars out there is obvious, and if you noticed, many members here own or will soon own other exotics. You're welcome to compare specs, but coming in here just to rain on our parade makes you no friends.

Instead of: "It's laughable you think the Viper is all that... it's only a Dodge..."
Try: "The Viper and Z06 are both cool, but check out the new Ferarri..."

It's called tact and nuance. To be fair, there are a number of Viper owners here that need to learn the same lesson. That was evident this weekend. I love the new Saleen S7 TT, but I don't come in here belittling the Viper, even though on many levels, it is a better car.

just my 4¢ (worth twice your 2¢) :D

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper versus vette? why pick one? i say buy both. does it really matter? the ford GT out pimps em all anyway. unless of course you have a saleen twin turbo S7 :headbang:

chevy, dodge and ford.......... its all good 4 me :usa:

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper versus vette? why pick one? i say buy both. does it really matter? the ford GT out pimps em all anyway. unless of course you have a saleen twin turbo S7 :headbang:

chevy, dodge and ford.......... its all good 4 me :usa:

I saw a blue w/ white stripe Ford GT yesterday. :shocked: As bad *** the Z06 and Gen II's are, I'd probably take the GT. And that's saying alot since I'm a big fan of the Gen II's. He left the light w/ only 1/4 throttle. It wasn't enough to hear the blower whine, but enough to hear the exhaust which was sweet.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the Ford GT at many a car show, and it is jaw dropping. Much like the Gen II. Too bad they didn't price it like they initially said they would (90K). Even at MSRP 150+K, it is out of reach for all but the wealthy. I think that is another reason people view the Viper with such awe... It is with in reach for many, even though it may take sacrifices in other areas and a few years of saving. Makes the car more realistic for many, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi