Is there a new radar band being used?

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on I95 heading south into Baltimore the other day, doing about 5-7mph over posted limit of 55. I was in my daily driver, and had the Valentine One mounted. A Toyota Camry was just passing me in the left lane doing at least 70, when a cop (state) jumped out from the middle median, and waved the speeder over. After I passed by, I realized the Valentine One never went off, either visual or sound. What was the cop using that would not let the Valentine One detect it? It's functioning properly, and volumes were set correctly, so I'm puzzled. Do I need to send it in for a software update?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Possibly using laser as the scatter effect is minimal and detection even with the V1 will probably not save you from a speeding ticket.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could have been POP, but according to the maker of the POP guns..they are not to write tickets with POP.

More likely it was VASCAR...where they time you from palce to place using a known landmark.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Could have been POP, but according to the maker of the POP guns..they are not to write tickets with POP.

More likely it was VASCAR...where they time you from palce to place using a known landmark.

This is the problem, they DO write tickets when using POP.... and how do we know what if they used it or not?

I think when they write a ticket as the result of getting you on radar/laser, they should give you some kind of printout that states the settings of the device, last calibration date, brand/model#, etc.

Cal

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think when they write a ticket as the result of getting you on radar/laser, they should give you
some kind of printout that states the settings of the device, last calibration date, brand/model#,
etc.

You have to ask for it, but it can be obtained.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good possibility, but maybe without the stop watch.... I once sat with a officer while on radar duty.... It went something like this:

Officer: They're going 72 mph, point radar gun, shoot.... 72 mph
Officer: They're going 68 mph, point radar gun, shoot.... 68 mph
Officer: They're going 65 mph, point radar gun, shoot.... 65 mph
Officer: They're going 71 mph, point radar gun, shoot.... 71 mph

It was scary, but sort of like our ability to look at the head of a bolt and say "7/16 inch". Let's face it, the radar, laser, etc. are just for proof in court. Any speed tap officer has so much experience they can judge our speed without a radar gun :(

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In some areas of Wisconsin there are lines painted on the cement on certain interstates. The spacing between the lines is 13 lane markers. I think 13 lane markers equal 1/4 mile but am not sure. Anyways, A cop will be in a plane and timing you to see how fast you get from one line to another. Simple math and they have your speed. Dirty bastages!! Also, if the cop was aiming the laser at another car that is near your car would it make your detector go off?

prm06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One comment on the laser. I was coming out of Houston a week ago and my Valentine gave me the laser alert just as I topped an overpass. It then went back off. Then it came back on and I looked down the road and there was one of Houston's finest standing by his car shooting with his laser. So this proves to me that the Valentine will pick up the laser signal if someone ahead of you gets shot first. The advance notice for laser is much less than radar but it will give a little chance to adjust your speed.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I think when they write a ticket as the result of getting you on radar/laser, they should give you some kind of printout that states the settings of the device, last calibration date, brand/model#, etc."

That's fine. But how do you know who he was pointing the radar at?

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In CO on I-25 headed into Denver, they often run a plane that uses the painted lines on the road to determine speed. Via radio, officers are notified of the speeds that cars are traveling ahead and they are pulled over and given speeding tickets. No Radar, no warning .... makes you watch the sky a bit more if you speed though.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What ViperJay said is correct. My neighbor is a motorbike cop for the city, they have two where I live, and he told me him and his buddy can sit and watch cars coming, say what they think the car is doing, and then hit it with the radar. It's a little competition they play. They are both usually within 2 mph. Not suprising really, this has been their job for many years.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"I think when they write a ticket as the result of getting you on radar/laser, they should give you some kind of printout that states the settings of the device, last calibration date, brand/model#, etc."

That's fine. But how do you know who he was pointing the radar at?

OK, a printout with a picture of the car in question :)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I always fight tickets as far up the judical food chain as I can get 'em (going on my third appeal 6/13 on this latest one.) You'd be surprised at what a cop can and can't get away with in court. For instance - I recently learned that a cop in Delaware cannot pull you over with radar unless you pass his vehicle.

By more on-topic it is possible that he used laser and your unit just didn't pick it up. You would have had to been within the line-of sight and with a range of 1/2 mile+ he could have shot the guy when you were not around.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4