Is there a simple way to test if individual injector is working?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not just that the harness/pug is telling the injector to fire, but that it actually is squirting fuel. I have heard of unplugging an individual injector while the car is running and if that alters the idle it shows that the injector was obviously working, but the car idles so lumpy I'm not sure I can notice a difference with one injector shut off.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Injectors are solenoids and you can hear and feel them clicking. That won't tell you if they are clogged or if the spray patterns messed up though.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like you might be able to put a mechanics stethoscope on each injector to hear if they are actually operating. Haven't tried doing this myself, so don't know if it will actually work.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not just that the harness/pug is telling the injector to fire, but that it actually is squirting fuel. I have heard of unplugging an individual injector while the car is running and if that alters the idle it shows that the injector was obviously working, but the car idles so lumpy I'm not sure I can notice a difference with one injector shut off.

Trust me, it will start to run even lumpier if you unplug an injector that does work. I've had a similar case at the (Fiat) garage where I do my work experience where one of the cylinders of an engine wasn't running. This turned out to be a faulty injector plug: if I pulled it out slightly for let's say one milimeter the cylinder would run normally, but as soon as I plugged it back in the car would run on three cylinders. Needed new wires soldered in and the engine ran fine again.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can check the sparc plugs.
The one which has a trouble will have either darker color or lighter color.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can check the sparc plugs.
The one which has a trouble will have either darker color or lighter color.
Excellent idea. Thank you for reminding me of the obvious answer. I guess a couple high speed runs are in order. :cool:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several ways to an end:

1. Mechanics Stethoscope.

2. Do a fourth gear run in WOT, then you have to kill it to get an accurate reading on the plugs - you cannot run it or idle after the run to get an accurate reading.

3. The most accurate way is to use a scan tool with the ability to drop the injectors. This is done while graphing the rpm's. Using this method it will be obvious.The EASE enhanced versioned will accomplished this task easily.

4. One more - use an electronic thermometer with a contact probe. You will see a drastic difference in temp at idle. My car runs approx 575 degrees one inch away from the head with Balenger headers. I had a bad injector and it was about two hundred degrees less at idle.