Is this gap in the pic normal bwtween the hood and front bumper by the headlamp?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if that picture is normal but there are a lot of large body gaps on a Viper.I have a Saphire blue car and the gaps don't show up when you get one of the darker colors. Bruce

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gap looks large to me. Another observation is the hood seems to be above the front fascia in front. The whole hood could be lowered to make the leading edge of the hood just below the fascia. that is the easiest hood adjustment and is done by adjusting the rubber stops and lowering the hood latches.

A gap in the 1/8 inch range should be possible.

Ron

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks to me like the fascia needs to be raised up via the slotted holes behind the fiberglass bumper support, but the headlight pods may "sink" if you do that. To address the hood corner gaps, you can slip a 10 or 11mm wrench in beside the outer pods and the fascia corners. Loosen the two bolts slightly and you can play with that hood/fascia gap.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only problem is is that when you adjust the rubber stopper, the hood will "hit" or rub the lights inner portion causing the paint to chip on the hood where it meets the light. If I make the rubber stopper higher, I also get the gap.. Oh well...

Gerald

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JGK95:
There was a 96/97 BLue/WHite at a dealer in Lincolwood, IL who appeared to either have replaced the front fender or front fascia. Valid question: Was the car ever in an accident? Maybe a 5mph or less?

Jay K.

Just my 2 cents.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VERY good call sir....
biggrin.gif
I just received an e-mail (after I posted this pic) from the guy who is selling this nice Viper and he told me the bumper was repainted before he purchased it. This car is for sale in the classified section. Looks like a nice car for someone.

LotsaHP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, nice car TobyT, look forward to seeing you around Cincinnati. Second thing, I had the exact same thing happen to my hood on my 1994 RT/10. Took it to my regular mechanic and he couldn't determine the problem. Then I took it to Kerry Dodge. It took their mechanic about 10 minutes to fix it and have me out the door. He said the left hand side of the hood wasn't latching properly. All he did was tighten a bolt and it was completely fixed. Make sure you have it fixed soon, mine wasn't and it rubbed on the right side and scuffed up the paint.

OP
OP
T

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info...but its not my car. It is a car I am looking at in Chicago. The car looks great so far. I emailed the guy about the hood and waiting for a response.

BurnR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
umm guys.....if we are looking at the picture and talking about the gap to the left between the headlight and the wheel it is because the hood is not shut all the way...when I first got my car I would do this all the time because I close the hood too lightly

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BurnR8:
it is because the hood is not shut all the way

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Possibly, the same thing happened to me when I first got my RT/10. But it could also be a problem with alignment, hood or fascia. The fascia can be easily twisted out of alignment just be going off road, er I mean, track.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a gap like that on my GTS. I asked Ted May to adjust it and he said if he did, the front would rub. so I left it. It doesn't bother me that much and even less now that I see other cars with it.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a 96/97 BLue/WHite at a dealer in Lincolwood, IL who appeared to either have replaced the front fender or front fascia. Valid question: Was the car ever in an accident? Maybe a 5mph or less?

Jay K.

Just my 2 cents.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that it is normal. My '93 has a normal gap there.

You must be registered for see images

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It looks wide to me, the gap just to the outside on mine is about 3/16th to 1/4 inch.
It should say how wide the gap should be in a Viper body manual, they list all the body gaps.
I've got one somewhere,just don't remember where I put it.
Anyone else have one handy?
You must be registered for see images

A pic of my car from the Mopar Nationals courtesy of Performin Norman!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,
that gap look very large.
my 2001 has a very very small gap on both sides if the hood is
closed correctly.
if it is not then i have the big gap like shown.

when i say closed correctly both hands having equal pressure
on the pushdown.

but i would not be happy if that was the amount of gap all the time.

i think i should look like rich's
JIM

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I took a closer look and the gap in the picture does look pretty large on the side. I was looking more at the headlight to hood gap and some of these are pretty noticable on cars I have seen, including mine. Often the gap appears uneven. On mine, the hood almost hits the inside portion of the lamp and the gap increases as it goes toward the outside of the lamp. Just moving the front fascia and the lamps up would not be an option since the hood is already close to hitting on a portion of the lamp as it is and the side gap is pretty small. It almost feels like the lamp wants to be rotated slightly to make it more square to the opening formed by the hood. For me, it's not enough to worry about fixing.

--- Ken

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken described my problem with my 96 RT/10, and I know it has not been hit...And is does bother me alot...Looks sloppy to me...

If any kind soul out there could provide a write up on how to adjust the hood/facia/headlights, that would be awesome...

I know, thats asking for a lot.

Tomer