Its Alive

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdlmUJ-w5wQ[/media]

Hopefully the video will improve. Still, at least its running. Amazing what functioning injectors will do. Put the hood back on and ran around the neighborhood. Feels great to be back on the road. Can't go for a drive today for a shakedown cruise, but soon.

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds awsome! What size pulley with the K/B?(How much boost?)I had a 2.2 in my dakota and liked how quiet it was, made quite the sleeper....:D

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running the old 10 PSI pulley so its overdriving the blower the same way the legendary 2.4 was spun. Before I bent the rod, it was hitting 14-15 PSI but I hadn't moved much off the old 10 PSI tune so it was running on eggshells to say the least. I guess we see how that worked out for me. I presumably won't get many break-in miles since my schedule is packed and am painting the house over Labor Day weekend. Gotta get my priorities right you know! Oh, the new fuel system should be an improvement as well.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhh yea...i know the feeling my supercharged nsx bent a few rods ect. And it took a year to source a replacement engine...got her back running a few months ago and what a great feeling...congrats

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a good heat cycle on it last night (going out to pick up milk you know!). Runs good. No drama. Cam is a bit noisy and needs the valve lash set a bit tighter. I think I might be tapping the baffles on the valve covers too since I haven't modified those for the larger cam. Couldn't hear any interferance during cold cranking but I know there has been many posts about roller rockers hitting those things.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! I am like everyone else wanting to see what it does with a good tune. Who are you going to have tune it...and when will you dyno it. Let me know, I will try to make the trip out.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting some break-in miles on it now and getting the cam lash dialed in a bit tighter in the next day or two. Greg recommended .002 cold lash and I set it initially at .005. I'm thinking I'm going to need an SCT tune along with running the VEC for my periphrials. Currently getting about 9 inches of vacuum at idle where as before with the stock cam I was pulling 14. Idles nice though. I'll give Sir Larry a call and see what he recommends as far as tuning options and check on his schedule. There are some local dyno guys here but no one is familiar with the VEC. Street tuning is out due to the crazy accelleration and I prefer a more controlled environment this time around. I'll get an adequate street tune on it but to really wring it out will require a dyno and experience.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update. Man this thing sings!! Done with my break-in miles and did some hard 2rnd, 3rd and 4th pulls today on my usual rural road course. Vec tune is now spot on and got great traction with my KDWs on a mid 90's sunny day here in greater Tampa. No rich or lean CELS or misfires that I had been struggling with last week. Put over 100 hard miles on it today. Fuel mileage sucked!! Hard to express the sensation other than those that have an amp'd-up ROE running on the jagged edge. Put down a soild 12 PSI without any drama. Modified ROE manifold seems to have solved the resonance and harmonics issue I was having before. No fouling on cylinder 10 anymore. All cylinders trimmed the same at this point in the tune. Used ALOT of W/M. I bet I sucked 2 gallons over a dozen or so pulls. 2x325 ml nozzles @ 250psi. Did get some heat sink since I was getting into audible knock during light accelleration (closed loop) after these pulls. That's where a SCT tune would help in the baseline PCM tune that the VEC can't get at. Once the W/M comes on in open loop everything is fine and once the engine temp cools, the closed loop accelleration knock goes away...back to normal so to speak. Ready for some dyno time just to see what sorts on numbers its putting down. For those thinking about the 2.8...all I can say is this thing is a riot! Do the heads & solid roller cam while you are in there and then kiss what your thought about yesterday goodbye! Just a great day for the EllowViper.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
She sounds mean man! When you get her 100 percent running you owe me a ride! Let me know when your local again since I won't be local here for too much longer. Might talk the wife into taking a drive down that way for a vacation :).

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome news Eric!

You were on 10# before, correct?
You think you are making quite a bit more HP than before?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the heat build on the 12# pulley? Also, who did your port on the manifold? I will need to do that sonner or later. Time to get it on the dyno, I am looking forward to seein ght enumbers you are laying down :2tu:

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a little snooping around on porting the ROE manifold and did a compromise between how GG opens them up and how they were stock. Basically opened them up quite a bit on the outside (head side and corresponding runner) but not to the extent Greg does on the intake side. He really fillets the runner on the manifold side. I also port matched the hogged out ROE to the heads. Also did a bowl smoothing, unshrowded the valves, and cleaned up the valve seats and associated intake/exhaust transitions. What I think really is making a difference is the centerline rib I put in the manifold along with some corresponding mesh air deflectors to assist with calming the internal airflow while still not restricting any inherent flow out of the manifold. Before, my boost gauge was bouncing around once I got over 10 PSI. Indicated to me a lot of turbulant air. Now the gauge just reads a steady pressure...12 PSI. I was hoping for more but that is a big engine and with the cam and mildly ported heads, I can see its breathing better. So inthe final analysis, probably could have gotten by with the standard 2.8 blower vice the 2.8H. Really don't gain any efficiencies at under 15 PSI boost wit the 2.8H. As far as heat sink. Same as the 2.4. I haven't seen any real difference in basic functoning of the system other than boost is even more instantanious with a little bit more whine. Oh and I'm running the old #10 pulley from my 2.4 to get the current 12 PSI. I don't think you can spin it any faster than that without running the DW crank pulley. I think the belt might not agree with that however. The #10 pulley is pretty small as it is and I doubt ROE develped anything smaller. It would be interesting to know the limits of how fast one can spin the 2.8 however....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960