J.H. tuner ( guess who ) touchy subject but have to know.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was searching online and found a forum talking about what this guy alledgedly ( see, now I can't get in toruble ) did. There were reports that he parted some people's cars, that he would leave cars open outside, and some other stuff. Is this really "true"? I mean, is somebody really "capable" of this?..Francisco

p.s. I know this can be touchy, but I am new and I think anyone who doesn't know the history, deserves to. This is despite any problems in the past. As long as we don't flat out say "he did it", there is nothing to "fear". So don't say that. I really want this thread to contain serious information. No flaming please. If you want, contact me thorugh PM. Maybethat would be safer.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been an overwhelming number of complaints regarding a certain tuner.

Alternatively, there are some EXCELLENT tuners/suppliers available. Specifically Levin, Macedo, Roe, Tator. Why limit yourself to one when there are so many terrific people to deal with?

That's all I care to say at this time.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never ever had a problem with JPH. Great guy to work with and very customer oriented. This is all my experience and opinion. Please do not flame me. My car is my dream come true, and I would have nothing but a Venom!

Regards,

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted here a while back, and was E-mailed directly by John. He very professionally told me that he is making an earnest effort to right previous mistakes, and that through current business and future earnings he is making things right. Realistically, the better he does the sooner he can make every one happy. I have never had any dealings with him and he still took the time to write me and let me know what is going on.

Sounds like he f'd up at one time but is now trying to fix it. I wish him luck and I hope the best for everyone he still has yet to settle up with.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He very professionally told me that he is making an earnest effort to right previous mistakes, and that through current business and future earnings he is making things right.

sounds like another Houston Tuner....DW...but you don't hear much about him any more....

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Oh, so thats what David W...s did. A tuner! I always wondered why people said to stay away from him. I thought he was a child molester or something.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted here a while back, and was E-mailed directly by John. He very professionally told me that he is making an earnest effort to right previous mistakes...

This was an idea suggested to me a little while back:

Someone put together a complete list of all the individuals, businesses, and governmental agencies he owes money/parts/services/etc. and a date that the debt originated (date of judgement, date of non-delivered item, date of verification of only partial service, etc.). If anyone has a current D&B of his old and new business names, that would be a good place to start.

Every time he pays one off, mark it "paid", with a date paid. Every time a new one is occurs or is "found"... it gets added. That way everyone will be able to see what is still owed, what is being paid off, and when.

Waddaya think?

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was an article by Csaba Csere (?) in Car and Driver in the supercar shootout (Apex Lethal GTS on cover) and he went to company that rates other companies. if you don't have it, I can post the paragraph(s) concerning that if you'd like.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted here a while back, and was E-mailed directly by John. He very professionally told me that he is making an earnest effort to right previous mistakes, and that through current business and future earnings he is making things right. Realistically, the better he does the sooner he can make every one happy. I have never had any dealings with him and he still took the time to write me and let me know what is going on.

Sounds like he f'd up at one time but is now trying to fix it. I wish him luck and I hope the best for everyone he still has yet to settle up with.

Did the same to me. He also told me to stop by and he would take me out in his TT car. He still does and has made some legendary cars.

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Despite his past alledge problems, is it possible that he did just make mistakes, and is at leat trying to resolves them? I mean, lord knows I havent done anything near this, but I'm not perfect.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I lived there I would probably send him a car as long as I could stop by and check on his progress. There are some nasty H M S cars running around Houston.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, but why is H.ennessy (when spelled correctly) blocked out like a curse word when you write a message? WHat's the story there?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a corvette guy that apparently got ripped off by John and a bunch of people followed claiming that they were also ripped off. I know his BBB listing was bad (which is very easy to get resolved) Ive never met the guy or done business with him. I have heard from him over email a few times and seems considerate. Perhaps, at one time, he bit off more than he can chew and avioded some customers or batched a couple of jobs to get them out the door.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
I have never ever had a problem with JPH. Great guy to work with and very customer oriented. This is all my experience and opinion. Please do not flame me. My car is my dream come true, and I would have nothing but a Venom!

Regards,

DITTO. Martin, did you get your JPH stroker installed yet? :D

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One comment, it's his D&B rating that is not just bad, it's unbelievably bad and it's been posted on ALL the boards, and it IS NOT EASY TO FIX, that comment would piiss off any small business owner, and this is the first time I ever commented on this guy. But gimme a break, his D&B contains major numbers of multiple lawsuits and credit problems. And this IS IMPOSSIBLE to fix, and he hasn't and he can't, this is not personal credit stuff where you have a right to correct it via the fair credit reporting act congress passed a few years back if you are an individual, this is a BUSINESS rating, and what you do sticks forever and rightfully so! I have spent 10 years in this environment and you cannot fix something if you blow it, and that is why most small business owners (or large for that matter) use and respect this D&B rating, Dun and Bradstreet for the uninitiated. Sorry for the rant, it's irritating to hear that some guy thinks it's "easy" to fix bad business credit when I've struggled to pay millions on time to keep a good D&B. Others who are business owners are welcome to comment.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yeah, serious! We started 7 years ago, and sometimes payroll reached as much as $20,000.00 a week, but the jobs don't pay steady, so its a big bat to swing. Sometimes I wondered if we were gonna make it..

Things are looking up now, thank God, but it sure has been a long road.....

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted here a while back, and was E-mailed directly by John. He very professionally told me that he is making an earnest effort to right previous mistakes...

This was an idea suggested to me a little while back:

Someone put together a complete list of all the individuals, businesses, and governmental agencies he owes money/parts/services/etc. and a date that the debt originated (date of judgement, date of non-delivered item, date of verification of only partial service, etc.). If anyone has a current D&B of his old and new business names, that would be a good place to start.

Every time he pays one off, mark it "paid", with a date paid. Every time a new one is occurs or is "found"... it gets added. That way everyone will be able to see what is still owed, what is being paid off, and when.

Waddaya think?

Talk is cheap, so I am all for this. Post it when he ACTUALLY fulfills his previous committments. It seems I read everyday how he says he is working to make things right. Does anyone actually think this will ever happen. The man has no incentive to make things right. It's not his nature.

Just my opinion. Never had any dealings with him. I have only heard the victims stories on the different sites. Good luck to all, but I think your chances are better playing Powerball.

As Chuck said earlier, there are numerour Reputable tuners capable of producing high hp, reliable Vipers that you won't have to worry about whether your car is getting parted out or if you will even get the nods you paid for.

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion he will never make things right and I'm sure he gets a good laugh when he reads you guys writing that. Steve, it's great that he "e-mailed you directly". Now think about all the people that sent him money and cars that can't get a e-mail or voice response for months, it's infuriating. Do a complete search on this board and you can see a fraction of what he has done to people. Catch up to some old employees and they can tell you much more. Even the now famed Larry Macedo (ex employee) has emailed me and admitted he knew how he was screwing people. I have seen first hand how he can turn up the [******] charm at the same time he is stealing your money. I am very happy for those who actually got a good product and didn't get ripped off, but I will always try to warn any potential victims so he doesn't make suckers out of them. If a search doesn't yield good enough results, I am always happy to answer emails. Good luck all!

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One comment, it's his D&B rating that is not just bad, it's unbelievably bad and it's been posted on ALL the boards, and it IS NOT EASY TO FIX, that comment would piiss off any small business owner, and this is the first time I ever commented on this guy. But gimme a break, his D&B contains major numbers of multiple lawsuits and credit problems. And this IS IMPOSSIBLE to fix, and he hasn't and he can't, this is not personal credit stuff where you have a right to correct it via the fair credit reporting act congress passed a few years back if you are an individual, this is a BUSINESS rating, and what you do sticks forever and rightfully so! I have spent 10 years in this environment and you cannot fix something if you blow it, and that is why most small business owners (or large for that matter) use and respect this D&B rating, Dun and Bradstreet for the uninitiated. Sorry for the rant, it's irritating to hear that some guy thinks it's "easy" to fix bad business credit when I've struggled to pay millions on time to keep a good D&B. Others who are business owners are welcome to comment.

Isnt Dun & Bradstreet businesses(D&B), like Nielsen and Moodys different then the BBB?

I thout BBB dealt witth customer and D&B went off documented data. (lawsuits stuff like that). I know someone that was a member of BBB and his company was on there. He wrote some letters and made things right with his cuatomers and, after he did so, his name was cleared.

Didnt mean to pi$$ of someone that has had bad business experience.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some excerpts from Csaba Csere in Car and Driver's Steering Column in their Sept. 2002 Supercar Challange issue.

"For example, in April 2001, according to a detailed Internet posting, one eager buyer sent his Dodge Viper GTS, with a check for $122,500 to, to [******] Motorsports in Houston. The check was for converting his stock Viper into a [******] Venom 800 Twin Turbo, and it was supposed to be delivered in 12 weeks. Later, the buyer sent an additional $20,000 to pay for a further horspower boost to 1000. But the owner didn't get the car back in 12 weeks. In fact, some 10 months later, in February 2002, no work had been done on the car- and worse, according to the buyer, several parts hd been removed off his stock Viper an sold off! This owner has since filed a lawsuit against [******] seeking the return of his car, his $142,500, and the usual "punitive damages."
Another customer with a long over-due Venom says he went armed with a camera to confront John [******] at his Houson shop. [******] reportedly had the customer arrested for making "terroristic threats."
There is, of course, no place in the world where talk is cheaper than on an Internet message board, and a few lurid posts hardly constitute proof of wrong-doing. So I went to the Web site of the Houston Better Business Bureau (www.bbbhou.org)and searched for [******] Motorsports. The BBB reported 12 complaints, only one was listed as resolved. To put this performance in context, I ran checks with the local BBBs of every participant in our Supercar Challenge. Just one other complaint turned up, against AutoThority, and it was described as "resolved."
Then I went to Dun & Bradstreet, the financial research firm, where for $117 I purchase a comprehensive report on [******] Motorsports. For comparison, I also purchased a report on the well-known Lingenfelter Performance Engineering. The report indicated that LPE was financially sound, with no liens, lawsuits, or judgements pending against it. In contrast, the [******] report revealed that courts have four times ruled aganst the company and that there were 10 lawsuits currently in various stages and three liens. The D&B report also provided a "Financial Stress National Percentile" rating, measured on a 1-to-100 scale, with 100 being the best possible score. [******]'s company had a rating of one. (LPE had a 79.)"
...we've tested three progressively faster Venoms. None of them ever broke. Every one endured our brutal battery of tests, including top-speed runs up to 207 mph for the '99 Venom 560R.
In addition to producing fast, reliable machinery, [******] is a kindred spirit, a good guy, delighted with the performance he's achieving and always planning to go even faster. We've had fun when he's delivered a car to us. His frequent trips from Houston to Ann Arbor to deliver his cars also impressed us. You might think supplying test cars to obtain editorial coverage in the world's largest car magazine is a no-brainer business decision, but many cash-strapped tuners can't afford to invest time in a magazine test (the Supercar Challenge took three days total, plus travel) that provides no immediate cash return, no matter what the long term benefits may be.
[******]'s history of building and delivering strong-running cars was completely at odds with the widely circulated rumors about customer dissatisfaction. But the BBB and D&B reports suggested that it was time to ask [******] a few questions. When we raised these matters, [******] declined to go into any details about cases that were in litigation, but he did admit some problems in the recent past.
"I have to say that there have been issues in being able to deliver cars on time. We're building our fourth set of turbo headers and down pipes, and that particular system has taken longer to get out. I used a supplier [for the turbo exhaust manifolds], and they're out of business. I paid them a six-figure sum of money way back when and got little out of it.""
What about the complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau? "When I've gotten a complaint from the BBB, I've tried to resolve it with the customer, but I did not go back and respond to the BBB with some sort of follow-up. That's something that, in retrospect, I should have done and still can do.""
What about the D&B report? "We have had our ups and downs in the business, and without getting into specifics, if there's been a judgement in the past, we have had to pay to take care of it. We'll continue to make an effort to resolve any issues and keep moving forward.""
How can you reassure your customers? "Generally, now we're not scheduling he work into the shop until we have all the parts ready for the car. That way, the car only comes into our shop when the work is being performed. Ultimately, the best PR for me is delivering a car that performs and then the customer goes out and tells everybody he's happy with it.""
"Word of mouth will certainly be key to [******]'s future success. Meanwhile, it's worth remembering that buying one of the road burners we write about in this issue is more like commissioning an artist to paint your portrait in oil than buying a mass-produced car from a mainstream dealer. I recommend plenty of research, clear communication regarding costs and expectations, and a large dose of patience."

OP
OP
F

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he is possibly both sides of the coin. A smooth talking con artist who can build awesome cars, but regularly messes up. Can you believe that a "upgrade of service" is not taking orders until they have the parts? Well duh?!?!?! I mean come on, taking $140,000 from a guy, before even having the parts to do the work is ridiculous. One or two complaints ok, but when you have 12 complaints ( if not more ) when the rest of the field has 1 or so, and that whcih are resolved, how can you trust this guy? This is even despite his actual abiltiy to provide a veru unique vehicle?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah - it's actually too brutal Lee. When you consider that many if not most extremely successful entreprenuers have had a past failure or two - the total lack of forgiveness for past mistakes takes away all incentive to even try and redress past failures - so people walk away - get creative and start again.

You can't keep a good person down, but the same principle also applies to cons - they also bounce back until eventually they make a mistake and inside the slammer they go.

I've met some extremely gifted and decent bankrupts (or ex) who deserve the success they created afterwards. They tended to look after those that they burned that looked after them and used the clean slate of the law to make a fresh start. Now they pay their debts on time and some are very wealthy. But they still can't even open a bank account in their own name.... crazy.

re the issue on this thread - I've got no comment - i just wanted to comment about how harsh it is for good guys who suffer failure. They will always be a ***** to someone after that - and that is NOT rightly so in all cases - as I'm sure you'll agree Lee. Things could have turned bad for you - and you may have lost the battle - that would not make you a bad guy! Doing your best to put it right is great - but if not enough, and bankruptcy results - you are still not a bad guy. You did your best! Carrying that burden after the slate is clean by law is not justice. If I knew you and trusted you I'd be first to help you make a new start. Sure creditors suffer, but the only way you can fix it is to create real wealth again - and you can't do that carrying a big load on your back. As for those who screwed you (in this imaginery illustration) - you have no more obligation once the law cleans the slate - they've had their reward IMHO.

A friend of a work collegue worked 3 jobs for 20 years trying to pay old debts. It took him until he was almost 60 - every day working 3 jobs - 100 hours per week +. He paid the last dollar, went home and died suddenly. Some would say good on him for his integrity, others would say he gave his whole life to people who didn't care at a cost of his wife and children and friends. There's got to be a balance.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a couple of you missed my point, or I wrote poorly. I was NOT writing from the exerience of having failed to maintain a good D&B or BBB rating. I was relating how HARD it is to keep a clean record for a business, I've kept a stellar record by doing the right thing and paying creditors on time even though as a small business owner the temptation is always there to "stretch" your creditors. My point was it's a good idea to follow the straight and narrow with this as it is almost impossible to correct a D&B even if it is in error. D&B has absolutely NO obligation to even tell you who gave you a bad rating, sometimes they will tell you what category of business did it, as in office supply company or telephone vendor. And anyone can call in anything on you without fear of reprisal or lawsuit, it's a pretty scary system....So it's ridiculous to say this stuff is easy to fix. As a business owner you have NO rights as you do as in individual, and the record that the gentleman created is gonna follow him around forever, even when he starts using different names.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI
General Information

Principal : Mr. John [******]
Phone Number: (281) 346-1370
Fax Number: (281) 346-2296
Email Address: [email protected]

The information in this report has either been provided by the company, or has been compiled by the Bureau from other sources.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaint(s).
When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

Closed Complaints

Number of complaints processed by the BBB since the firm's BBB file was opened in December of 2002: 2

Number of complaints processed by the BBB in last 12 months: 2
----------------------------------------------------------------
At he has resolved the complaints. He may be trying to make an honest effort. I know his web page has been 100% revamped if that means anything.