John Myricks 2003 Viper SRT-10 11.86 1/4 Mile Video

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Myricks 2003 Viper SRT-10 ran an 11.86 @ 122.95 mph on his second pass. All stock and stock tires. San Antonio Raceway Sunday 2-23-03. Check the video of the burnout and 1/4 mile run. John ran an 11.86 @ 122.95. He backed it up with an 11.95. Then I (a good friend:) got in it and ran an 11.99 on my second pass after having never driven it before.

Jeff

Check the video....

http://www.jeffhelms.com/jeffhelms/cool.htm

Speedstyle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: John Myricks 2003 Viper SRT-10 1/4 Mile Video

Impressive numbers!!! Thats what most of us were looking for in it. We know the powers there.

Speedstyle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On a side note....your video of the 1/4 mile is not a good video. It is quite choppy and will not load fully.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It might work better if you right click the video link and save the video file to your disk. Playing it directly from your machine usually works much better than playing directly from the Internet.

jeff

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice run.

Who needs a line lock!

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

John laid down some nice numbers.

He had invited me to come out and play with him and the other guys. I had already comiited to go race elsewhere that day. The track I went to was packed, and I only got two passes in. Anyhow, props to John on the quick times. In looking at the numbers, my guess that if you can get a 03 into the 1.8s on the radials you should be looking at high 11.7s or low 11.6s.

In discussing it, the rear brakes are quite large, so only one of the new 17" ET Streets will clear the brakes. I am wondering if a 17" front off a1st gen Viper will be the solution for this. With a set of ET Streets, I would suspect that 1.5s or quicker would be attainable.

So, my guess would be some 11.30's on ET Streets in ideal conditions in a stock state. Once mods come into play, well, then its only a matter of how deep the pocketbook is.

The Viper seems to be a fairly stout car from the factory...

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score

John, Great run!! What were your 60' time, shift points and rpms you launched at and how many miles do you have on the car. I need to get out on the track and redeem myself, as you've proved that this car can do it. Congrats!!

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go to download.com and do a search for "wmv to mov"
This should bring up a program you can download that will convert .wmv to .mov, which can then be played on an imac.
-Daffy

P.S. I've been searching, so far, found nothing that can do this. But you should still search, maybe you'll have better luck. I'll search some more.

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Download 'windows media player 7' for the mac. It will play .wmv movies.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had three runs in the elevens... 11.86, 11.94, and 11.99. Here's the details of the best run...

60ft-------1.9748
330 ft-----5.1748
1/8 mph--94.75
1/8 ET-----7.7805
1000 ft----9.993
1/4 mph---122.95
1/4 ET-----11.8657

This was about 10:30 am just east of San Antonio, Texas. Weather underground shows the conditions at 10:30 to be ~62F, ~29.88 in, ~65% humidity (density altitude = ~365 ft). Lowered rear tire pressure to about 24 psig, did a medium length burnout (you can see how long in Jeff's video), reved the car to 2500-3000 rpms, then very slight amount of splippage on the release of the clutch while increasing throttle to try to keep the revs around 2500 rpm. Tried to shift the car around 5700 rpms to avoid the rev limiter, momentarily lifted throttle on each shift but would bring the revs back up aggressively on clutch release. You can see in the video how the car chirps the tires on gear changes. The car had about 700 miles on it. My quickest run was only the third time I had launched the car from a stop, so there is room for improvement. I suspect that with additional practice, and with good weather, a 1.85 (or better) sixty foot time is possible. That may result in a 1/4 mile time in the 11.6's. Don't know if I'll do it or not. Not sure if I can keep it stock for long. Thinking about airbox mods and headers/exhaust.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Awesome!

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

11.8 @ 122 at 62 degrees farenheight.

Hello Lamoborgini! I wonder what ElDiablo would think of these numbers?

<shaking head>

Amazing...

Okay, I'll beat the vette guys to the punch.
"That car couldn't have been stock".

Congrats, congrats, CONGRATS!!!

BTW, your launch technique sounds like the standard I've seen spoken about for the GTS, so really, we just keep doing what we've been doing I guess.

Time for Mike Brunton to get a test drive. Come on, Mike baby! Carry that flag! I wish you could do the driving for Automobile magazine. :p

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not sure but I thknk I would round up 122.95 to 123 mph. Sounds more impressive (at least by 1 mph).

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually John's time has made the rounds on a few Vette boards. The video has been a big hit also. There were a few folks who wondered out loud if the car was stock, etc...

Since I had posted the results of a recent friendly encounter with John's car on those boards I could speak for the fact that it was stock, and that they are plenty quick in stock form...

OP
OP
J

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Corvette guys will just have to come to the realization that the car is indeed that fast in stock form. I think the car is good for 11.6 - 11.7 in stock form. When John and I left Houston for the 2 1/2 hour drive to San Antonio Sunday, the car had 500 miles on the odometer and it was a pure ******...

Jeff

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Any stock RT/10 or GTS owners care to race this beast? I did not think so.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven't followed the car rag mags that closely recently...does anyone know if any car mags have posted any 1/4 mile times for 2002 or 2003 STOCK production cars that run 11.86 or better?

If so, what make/model?

I'm aware of the 12.2 and 12.6 1/4 mile tests for the SRT-10 pre-productioon cars.

Thanks, George

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A couple magazines got 12.0 flat @122MPH, but I haven't seen any magazine tests of production SRT-10 Vipers yet, and I'm hoping to see a few of them nip into the high 11s.

Further, I'm hoping that they do some track testing against the Porsche GT2, Lamborghini Murcielago, and Ferrari 360. :laugh:
I think that the SRT-10 Viper will compete well against those great supercars on the track.

-Dean.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Viper is fast, no doubt. I would say a better launch will pick the car up. I think most Vette owners understand that the Viper is a pretty tough customer. On the other hand don't count out the Vette's because the difference is fairly close. Close enough that if either one of you makes a mistake it can be the other guy's race.

As for the magazines, don't hold your breath. McRat wrote a nasty letter to one of the mags about how lousy their drivers were specifically on the test where the 2003 Cobra was faster than a 2003 Z06 by several tenths. It so infuriated the guy he called him at work, and then a multi-page thread ensued on the board as he explained why their times sucked. I know Cobras are fast modified, but in a stock vs stock configuration the Z06 is faster. Just like in stock vs stock the Viper is faster than the Z06.

Just for the record in a 100% stock state as delivered from the factory my Z06 went a 1.85 60'/ 11.933 @ 114.52 @ HRP. This was on the stock radials, stock airbox, etc... I worked on my launch technique and got my 60' times down into the 1.7s during the summer on the stock radials. But before I had a chance to make any more attempts to better my 11.933 I did two things. I pulled my lid off, and swapped to ET Streets. I don't have to slip the clutch on the launch anymore, and pulling the lid of the factory box picked me up 15hp. So, I can't say what my time would be except to go put the lid back on and try to set a new best... Anyhow, with all that said, most mags were getting 12.8's in a Z06. GMHTP was the only one even close. They went 12.2 on a 2001 Z06. So, don't hold your breath on the magazine guys...

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

GMHTP was the only one even close. They went 12.2 on a 2001 Z06. So, don't hold your breath on the magazine guys...

Ahem ... unless you're talking about another test .....

GMHTP ran a press car Z06 against a stock production 2000 Viper GTS :eek: and went 12.48 with their Z06 PRESS CAR ...... versus 11.98 in MY stock 2000 GTS. Trust me on this one.... I was there!

Evan Smith did a remarkable job by pushing that so called stock Z06 to 12.48 ...... but hit the 11's in my STOCK gts ...... and that was in 98% humidity and 90 degree Joisey weather!

Now, as far as your 11.93 ..... after looking at this thread on the vetteforum http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=499841 , looks like you hold the record .... and no one else is even close on a stock Z06 (although slicks, and Halltech seems to help... but then again, if we ran slicks on our Vipers we'd pick up a few tenths as well). Wonder what you can do in an SRT-10? Sounds like you'd be a great competitor for Evan Smith?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Was watching (but not hearing) ESPN at a pizza joint tonight and they did a show called 'Road to the Chicago Auto Show'. And guess what? They ran a new SRT against a new Z06 in the 1/4. Again, two magazine guys (no helmets if you are to believe the footage) and the Z06 definitely launched out of the hole more quickly. Posted times?

Z06: 0-60 in 4.1
1/4 mile 12.5 @ 114 mph

SRT-10: 0-60 in 3.9
1/4 mile 12.1 @ 121 mph

Both cars were bright red and fun to watch!

Chris

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are correct. I hold the record for a 100% bone stock Z06. 1.85 60' - [email protected] made in October 2001. I have run numerous passes in the 11.9x range, that one was simply the best of the bunch. As the weather got warmer, of course my times slowed. In the middle of the Texas summer I made many, many passes in 85-90 degree weather with over 90% humidity. I got my 60' times down into the 1.7s on the stock radials and was running 12.0s. It was really annoying to run 12.07, 12.03, etc... The 11's just weren't going to come my way in that heat. I planned to try for the 11.7s this fall when the temp and humidity dropped, as a .1 drop in my 60' is usually equal to a .15 or better drop in the 1/4. Two things hapened. I had to have my clutch replaced. Not because of wear issues, but because of a known issue with "pedal stick" in which the clutch pedal simply sticks to the floor under hard acceleration. This was in the middle of the summer when I was finally getting my radial tire technique perfected. I had numerous passes where I would have great launches, but I couldn't get the car to go into second gear. GM replaced the clutch under warranty, but rather than risk destroying a second clutch and possibly raise a flag I decided to get away from having to slip the clutch and go to some sticky tires. I switched to ET Streets. Also in just goofing around one day I pulled the lid off the factory airbox, and replaced it with two zip ties. I figured this would probably be worth nothing. I went to an MTI dyno day after that just for grins and found that this had picked me up 15 RWHP an 10 lbft/Tq. With those two "mods" to the car it has run a 1.675 60' - 11.596 @118.52

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30089

So, unless I go put the stock airbox lid back on I can't really find out what a stock Z06 Vette's max performance is. But, my car isn't the only one capable of such numbers. A friend just got his, came out to HRP with 1100 miles on the car and ran a 12.07 @ 118. He would no doubt have run an 11, but he was afraid to launch with as many RPM as I do on the radials. Anyhow, I know the Z06 is a much more capable car than the magazines report.

But yes, with an air filter and some sticky tires, anyone can get a z06 in the 11s. Just like they will probably get the SRT-10 into the low 11's with similar bolt ons... I have had a chance to ride in the SRT-10 and to see what it is capable of. No doubt it is an impressive car, but I would advise you to not dismiss the Z06 quite so easily...

And if John or any other Houston Viper owner ever wants me to drive their car for them, or wants to run me in my car at HRP I would be more than willing to help out in any way that I can...

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One thing that many forget to mention about the stock Z06's in the 11's is most of the cars were power shifted. Not saying they shouldn't be power shifted but when you compare the Z06 power shifted times to a granny shifted Viper, well... apples and oranges.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can you not powershift a Viper?

S

sachin

Most people dont powershift their brandnew vipers. On your post on supra forums you even said the srt was shifting slow when you raced him compared to your powershifting.

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You are completely correct the owner of that Viper (that I raced) did not powershift his car. The observer said you could see the lights of the Viper moving up and down on the shifts, where mine never came down once I was underway. One thing I have possibly come up with. The guy who watched the race said you could really see the headlights in the Viper move on the shift. One thing I have noticed about HID cars is that with the focus of the lights, the up and down movement of the car is a bit more magnified in appearance since the lights seem to be moving a bit more. I rode with the owner of the Viper in his car, and he made a pass with me in the car. It is an impressive car. In talking with him about his shifting, he shifted as quickly as he could without powershfting the car, but as I said, did not powershift his car. Powershifting can either help or hurt your time. Typically it helps your time somewhat,but, if it induces a lot of wheelspin, it can actually hurt slow you down. For my part, I was powershifting. In the case of the SRT-10 I don't think powershifting 1-2 would be effective. The car starts to spin at 5000 in 1st gear, a powershift I think would simply induce more wheelspin and slow the car down on the street. But the other upshifts might benefit from it.

My question about poweshifting them was simply beacuse I did not know if there was a reason you could not powershift one. I didn't know if the stock shifter might not be up to that, or the shift forks might have issues. I just wanted to find out if you could or couldn't powershift one...

Again, I think the Viper will probably run some 11.3-11.4 on some sticky tires stock, and I think Y'all are already starting to make some good passes in them.

91ZR1#661

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You don't have to beat any "Vett guys" to the punch.I have
always thought a SRT should be capable of 11's in stock form.HELLO-It does have 500 HORSEPOWER!
Very nice numbers.
95yellovett

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery