1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

June 14, 2006 SRT Engineering Thread

Discussion in 'SRT Engineering Q/A' started by Jay Herbert, Jun 11, 2006.

1. a-mechanic

a-mechanic Viper Owner

On the LX srt why no limited slip? Is it mainly because of "esp"?

The LX has an open diff, but the BLD (brake locking differential) functions as the limited slip quite effectively. BLD is an algorythm of the ABS/Traction control system. You'll notice that the LX SRT8 lays two strips of rubber at the drag strip. It also works great on split coefficient surfaces. With one drive wheel on ice and one on pavement, the system has enough torque capacity to spin the high traction wheel.

Quaife has a limited slip that we have run successfully at One Lap of America and Targa Newfoundland in a pair of cars last year and for the short term, It might be an avenue that you want to explore. Quaife is located in San Juan Capistrano California here in the States.

2. JonB

JonB Viper Owner

MS....

With the AZ Proving Grounds going away soon, where will D-C test HOT? Starting when?

Any plans to race more Jets? Does Herb have a new driving suit? His faded-orange VINTAGE suit wont pass tech any modern race venue ! I bet he could AUCTION that HISTORIC suit at VOI......Ill open at $10, (and WAY MORE if autographs are included)
    Jon, stay tuned. I'm told they still fly jets in Arizona. And we're taking up a collection to buy Herb a new driving suit.

3. 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR Viper Owner

Ok that was funny.

PS. Get to answering all the other questions, that are in the back log now, I am not so patiently waiting .. like a kid in a candy store !! thx again !!

4. Cris

Cris Enthusiast

So you are saying that when the ABS is in default mode rear brake lock-up is almost guaranteed? Same brake pressure, same brake caliper and rotor with much less weight on the rear.

If your ABS light is on and the system has faults, it would be wise to get the system fixed and not drive the car at the limit. Depending on what component (which wheel speed sensor, ABS pump, etc...) is at issue, EBD will function to maintain brake bias if it can. EBD operates at lower slip thresholds than ABS, and dumps pressure to the rears, so the hydraulic pump does not necessarily need to be functional for EBD to work. Most newer cars use EBD to maximize front brake pad life and stopping distance performance. The ABS light won't just be on, but will flash if you have lost EBD.

5. madman

madman Enthusiast

6. 418viper

418viper Enthusiast

"On question 4 FYI the trunk release on the key fob will work with the ignition on if the car is stopped and the park brake is engaged"

The issue here is when the Key FOB is accidentally locked in the trunk, happens quite often from the posts I have seen.

That is why we equip each car with 2 key fobs and two keys...

7. Jay Herbert

Jay Herbert Enthusiast

Related to a previous question:

Can factory options that do not affect emissions such as a rear diff. cooler, shifter, etc. be added at CAAP assembly in additon to being available only as Mopar Options?

8. SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers SRT Engineers VCA Member

Coupes are running about 2/3 of production.

9. SRT Engineers

We don't have the weights handy, but they should be similar.

10. GR8_ASP

GR8_ASP Enthusiast

Normal track use. I have been told it is a common failure with comp coupes as well.

11. a-mechanic

a-mechanic Viper Owner

I'm sorry, catalytic convertors.
    thanks again.

12. Cris

Cris Enthusiast

Anything to say to our invasive vette Z06 friends who come here to inform us that the Viper cannot beat the Z06 in ANY performance category? Not exactly a high pedestal to respond from.

Bring it on. On the track, multiple laps. Notice how stock Z06s do in One Lap of America compared to Vipers.

13. Tom Sessions

Tom Sessions Enthusiast

Is there a way to turn off the low tire alarm on the srt viper. We have quite a few owners that run track wheels with us at viper days and would like to turn this off.
    Thanks

From SRT - No not easily...

The best you can do is disconnect the TPM module (Schraeder Box) but that means you need to pull apart the instrument panel. Even at that the low tire symbol will still stay on steady.

You could put the ignition switch feed to the module on a toggle for a "Track Mode". And just turn back on once you are on the programmed street rims.

14. Cris

Cris Enthusiast

Can you reply with a color or bold or italics so we can quickly see what is the response? [color:red] something like this [/color]

[color:red] [/color] Test. Test. HTML does not appear to be working. Sorry

We are working on th :needpics:

15. SRT Engineers

We are continuously evaluating opportinites to bring new features into CAAP but we have to balance this with a thing called build complexity which affects quality adversely.

16. SRT Engineers

Hello?

17. 2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR Viper Owner

So I appeciate answers to SOME of my questions, what about the rest? Or are questions your not able to answer, just ignored?

Thx.

Jon

18. Jay Herbert

Jay Herbert Enthusiast

:) As a Manufacturing Engineering Manager... have to laugh. We build in the 4 digit # of SKU's.... keep telling Materials/Scheduling/marketing that the changeovers are not good for line uptime.... you must have a more supportive scheduling group than me ;)

Line uptime is not as big an issue with us as quality is. Remember, Vipers are hand build by craftspeople at CAAP so the mass production philosophy is foreign to us.

19. Jay Herbert

Jay Herbert Enthusiast

OK, ya got me.... line uptime AND quality. We designed to new line to do changeovers inside of one cycle.... and quality is designed in (DFM)... if it is not a good part.... it won't fit!