Just bought a 64 Plymouth Savoy!

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Want your opinions... Car is solid original that has been caged and mini tubed to run 12 inch tire. So wondering what the group thought I should do. Has a 440 in it now with a built 727. The car will be a complete restoration, even though current paint is ok. Can't believe how solid this 47 year old car is..... all orignal sheet metal, no patch panels, no floor pans. Think of putting a cross ram manifold on the 440. Thought of a crate hemi, but they I guess didn't come out until 1965
and would like it to be kind of period correct. Pondering whether to keep the 727 (with no miles on it and $1600 worth of beefing up completed) or go to a 4 speed. Currently black with red interior....most likely repaint in black with a red drivers stripe or could make it match my 08 coupe which is orange and black but that means a entire interior redo. Thanks in advance. *****

OP
OP
S

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No. Bought mine in Wisc. It has the drive train in it, but no interior. Will hopefully look like that car soon!!. Thanks for the reply. *****

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think the Savoy was a pretty rare car. I loved the push button automatic transmissions. Pretty bulletproof, and makes driving in cruising events pretty easy.

Like the idea of cross ram dual quads. Gas mileage goes out the window, but the wow factor is huge.

Only thing I would not keep period correct is the brakes and shocks. Those were both pretty weak, and would be well received upgrades, even by purests.

Enjoy your new Savoy!

OP
OP
S

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car has new Wildwood discs on all four corners. It does have the push button transmission, but a 4 speed is tempting. I have wanted a 64 savoy since high school (40+ years ago) and just couldn't find a solid car for under 50K! Craigslist is your friend...found this one 45 Min. away. Old time mopar guy. Races a M code 'cuda and has a 69 six pack superbee in another garage. Lives way the heck back on a dirt road. Guess it was my time to get lucky. I want the car to be a street car. Had my fill of drag cars for the street! Thanks for the reply. *****

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cross rooms look pretty, but not that great for a cruiser. Same goes for the 4 speed in that combo. Do you want something that goes gas station to gas station or is a real cruiser? I'm finishing up a 61 plymouth. Put in a 6.1 hemi with a 904, with a low gear set out of the old fifth avenue's, with a 2.94 out back should be able to get mid 20's and I have 430hp. Motors are bullet proof, tranny is great and will still have plenty of power.

OP
OP
S

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This car will be just a toy to take out on weekends. Gas mileage is not a concern. Leaning rather heavily toward the cross ram with a 4 speed. Depends on how deep the wallet will be for this project. Have the Viper if I want to cruise. Thanks for the replies. *****.

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car will be just a toy to take out on weekends. Gas mileage is not a concern. Leaning rather heavily toward the cross ram with a 4 speed. Depends on how deep the wallet will be for this project. Have the Viper if I want to cruise. Thanks for the replies. *****.

Used to race with a guy with a '65 426 wedge - single 4 barrel. It was a great car to work on - lots of room inside and out. I remember he was running on the record index and when we took the motor apart to freshen it up and you could almost lift the timing chain off from the sprockets! It was so fast after we got it redone,and run out of the index and still get beat because he would sleep on the lights ! We had a few guys running max wedges and they were fast but a bit of a pain with 12.5 compression. Not something you want to drive on the street. Even with all that going on with the wedges, the hemis were just faster because of the heads and pistons on the same basic long block. Big blocks are torque monsters so whatever you choose, you'll have plenty of power. Talk to someone with experience on the big blocks and you'll be happy. It is all about the heads on the big blocks and the wrong combination will make you miserable. But you are right about the way a cross ram looks! Maybe you cold get a fuel injection set up with the drivablilty under those dual air cleaners!

OP
OP
S

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Just looking at some hemi crate motors. Spendy!! Just took the top end of the 440 today to see whats what...roller rockers, 3/8 inch push rods, steel crank, demon 750 on high rise manifold. Maybe just bore and stroke this motor, throw on a crossram and call it good. Time will tell. First going to take the whole car apart, sand blast the bottom and then strip the body to bare metal, from there, make those panals even straighter and decide on a color. Figure 1-2 year project if I do it right. Lots of time to decide what is going to sit between the rails. *****

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Indy Cylinder Head. I'd still go with the SRT8 motor personally. Tons of parts, much cheaper than some of these other options you're talking about and proven reliable. You can do FI or a mod man intake like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

You can run a single 4, a 6 pack, 2 4's, etc.

OP
OP
S

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the video. Will take this into consideration. Isn't there a 6 liter version of this motor in the new challenger? Sources? Can you get the new motors to turn out 500-525 HP? Thanks for the option. *****.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can put a Kellog stroker crank in that 440 and go just over 500cid. With a good set of Indy Cylinder Heads the torque will be off the charts and the HP in the 600+ neighborhood at fairly low RPM's. And you can do this on pump gas. All with a single 4bbl carb. It's really easy to put a FAST or some other fuel injection system on these as well. You'll never beat the monster torque of the old RB MOPAR's .. Except maybe with a certain V10 we all know and love, even then it's close. The biggest problems for the old MOPAR big blocks was crappy heads, Indy is #1 for those, you'd be surprised how much those give an engine. The MAX Wedge stuff was an improvement [ raced a 65 Sport Fury 426 MAX Wedge for years ] but the Indy heads were stellar by comparison. And the old BB's when built right were bullet proof.

--FQB

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My motor made 430hp and it actually has slightly ported 5.7 heads, but 6.1 internals. Indy has more SRT stuff than anyone in the country. Hundreds of blocks, etc. They've built some big power ones. Just tell them what power you want to be at and it can be had. The option I did was very economical and was going into a cruiser. I have no desire to go fast in my old cars. That's what the twin turbo vipers are for :). I like having proper handling, brakes and safety equipment.

OP
OP
S

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. Will be contacting Indy for direction. *****.

OP
OP
S

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the adventure begins. Will start disassemply today. Wish me luck. *****

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They come out with the HEMI in 64 with the aluminum cross ram and in 65 went to the magnesium cross ram, Buddy of mine had a 64 Original (all original) with the exhaust cut outs and coming out the back through single exhaust. (exhaust was factory). Talk about restriction. He sold the car at Barrett Jackson.

OP
OP
S

Spook120

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That car I am sure was way more spendy than I want to even imagine. The car is basically disassembled. Body will go on the rack next week to start to be beautified. Thanks for the replys. *****

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang