Just installed Double D mods double din conversion carbon bezel and console

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Labtec, do you have a pic of the BACKSIDE of the radio piece? Curious if this guy's skills improved since he was doing C5 vette bezels.

OP
OP
L

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have a picture of the back I just remember making a mental note of the solid construction and extra material sanded smooth, etc.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not do it, fold out eventually break, they are not as nearly as reliable as in dash double din units. The ribbon cable breaks on all of them. The better way is to do it yourself if you must adapting the dash piece for double din. This is cheap and very easy to do.

Ive had these units in the past for years with zero issues.

OP
OP
L

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Apparently he has a sale? LOL. I am not knocking people paying him, it all depends on how much you value your time and how much skill and determination you have. If you have the time and some skill, you can do this part for about 20 bucks or a bit more if you want to spray a textured finish on the piece. BTW, this is what I am talking about

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-95-7861-Double-Installation-2003-2007/dp/B0014GTHKI

This is an actual kit but I bet he gets the actual trim piece for less than a buck when buying in bulk, and without the rest of the kit.

I started to try this with my original bezel but decided against it. If you are going with this approach you could just use the bezel that comes with your specific system although mine did not fit as well around the system perimeter as the one Double D mods used. Considering epoxy is not workable or moldable like bondo I think their part is custom made. The best way to determine if the part is custom and if it is the direction you want to go in is to give them a call. I talked with them a few times before ordering and they were happy to address my questions and concerns.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had these units in the past for years with zero issues.
You need to hang out around car audio repair places to see how many fail before making assumptions based on your personal experience. And even if they did not fail, they never look right and get in the way, just not the same thing as well integrated in dash screen.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started to try this with my original bezel but decided against it. If you are going with this approach you could just use the bezel that comes with your specific system although mine did not fit as well around the system perimeter as the one Double D mods used. Considering epoxy is not workable or moldable like bondo I think their part is custom made. The best way to determine if the part is custom and if it is the direction you want to go in is to give them a call. I talked with them a few times before ordering and they were happy to address my questions and concerns.
Expoxy is just as workable and moldable as polyester based compounds, you just have to know what to get, I already mentioned bumper repair compounds, this is what you have to look at. You can actually make your filler that is epoxy based if you use microsphere filler and mix it with epoxy resin.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to hang out around car audio repair places to see how many fail before making assumptions based on your personal experience. And even if they did not fail, they never look right and get in the way, just not the same thing as well integrated in dash screen.

how can one make an assumption based on personal experience???? At this point its not an assumption anymore but a fact based on that personal experience. Ive had 4 of these units over the past 15 years and had ZERO issues with anyone of them. Only replacing them for a newer model 2 or 3 years down the line. I cant answer for anyone else, thats why i stated "Ive had these units in the past for years with zero issues" emphasizing "IVE"

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Built me a full custom steering wheel too.

Don't mean to throw this thread off topic. But do you have any more info on this?? Viper has such an ugly steering wheel, I could just replace it with a Momo or something, but I would like to maintain the airbag if possible. I know on the corvette forums there is a company that does a full custom 3 piece wheel wrapped in Alcantra that maintains steering wheel controls and everything. Looks sick.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how can one make an assumption based on personal experience???? At this point its not an assumption anymore but a fact based on that personal experience. Ive had 4 of these units over the past 15 years and had ZERO issues with anyone of them. Only replacing them for a newer model 2 or 3 years down the line. I cant answer for anyone else, thats why i stated "Ive had these units in the past for years with zero issues" emphasizing "IVE"
why don't look around the net to see reviews of specific head units, including RECALLS brands like Pioneer and Jensen had a few years ago.. Statistically, your four experiences mean nothing. It is a matter of common sense that anything with more moving parts is always more likely to break down than a counterpart with less of these parts. This is why vaccuum tubes were replaced by transistors and why there are solid state hard drives these days.
Apparently you like to argue the obvious.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not do it, fold out eventually break, they are not as nearly as reliable as in dash double din units. The ribbon cable breaks on all of them. The better way is to do it yourself if you must adapting the dash piece for double din. This is cheap and very easy to do.

I call BS. I've had retractables for years, Kenwood to be specific. Never once had an issue (ok I'm knocking on wood), in fact I even moved one out of my Gen 3 into my Gen 4. So I've had that unit for like 7 years, works great.

And one more thing. The whole head end unit was only a little over $700 so even if it does break buy another one and your even.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I call BS. I've had retractables for years, Kenwood to be specific. Never once had an issue (ok I'm knocking on wood), in fact I even moved one out of my Gen 3 into my Gen 4. So I've had that unit for like 7 years, works great.

And one more thing. The whole head end unit was only a little over $700 so even if it does break buy another one and your even.

Read and learn, then kindly put your foot in your mouth.

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/1485-parts-for-fixing-slideflip-up-problems/

OP
OP
L

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a close-up picture of the bezel that better shows the contours and beveled edges
You must be registered for see images attach

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had my local stereo shop do mine for a minimal amount - As I recall, they charged me $250.00 for the entire installation.

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Reread my post. I said I used Kenwood systems, not Pioneer. Maybe Pioneer has the problem you describe but my Kenwoods have worked great. I have the top of the line units, you could get a retractable for even less than I paid if you go with the next model lower Kenwood. Either way you can afford t buy two Kenwoods for the price of the double D bezel. Seems like a better solution to me.

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a flip out as of now. One of the reasons I would like to get a double din is because with the tv flipped out. It blocks my A/C vents.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why don't look around the net to see reviews of specific head units, including RECALLS brands like Pioneer and Jensen had a few years ago.. Statistically, your four experiences mean nothing. It is a matter of common sense that anything with more moving parts is always more likely to break down than a counterpart with less of these parts. This is why vaccuum tubes were replaced by transistors and why there are solid state hard drives these days.
Apparently you like to argue the obvious.

Peter what part of "I've" had zero issues don't you understand. Let's move on buddy.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's what I've been trying to say!