Just installed my K&N and Corsa Track: MY GOD...THE SOUND!!!

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just installed the Corsa Track Exhaust and K&N. Thanks Dave for the helpful advise on how to take the screw out near the front tire fender by taking off part of the liner. The total take off took me about 1.5 hours. I also wrapped the cats with thermal wrap....that took an hour by itself. The putting back of the parts took about 35 minutes. Thus, it was a lot simpler than I thought. However, I had the help of a friend's shop where we were able to put it on a lift which made the job so much easier....Okay...so when I first turned on the engine, the sound was nice, but not as loud as I "was afraid" or "hoped". It was definitely louder, but I now realize that I really don't like the sound of idle of the viper. As we drove out to the freeway, my friend drove my viper and I was in my Honda Pilot. Seeing him go pass me on the freeway, I rolled my windows down to hear it and when he passed me, it literally STARTLED me. MY GOD....the sound was so LOUD and so mean! My friend later told me he was on 3rd gear at about 4000rpm.

When I took over to drive it for about 1/2 hour, here are my observations:
*At idle in the garage, it was louder than stock, but not much.
*If you drive in the city, it gets loud real quick because the characteristic changes drastically at about 2500 rpm. At 4000 rpm, it is LOUD. There is drone at between 2500rpm to 3500 rpm that is a bit annoying.
*At highway speed around 80mph at 5th gear, It is just as quiet, if not quieter than stock. Same speed at 6th gear is also just as quiet as stock if not better.
*Powerwise, I did not feel anything at the higher end but I did not go above 4000 rpm or above 100mph. However, I noticed that there was noticeable increase in the lower torque. Usually at 60mph on 6th gear, my engine would feel like it is about to die. Now, I can push down on the gas and the car pulls...not significantly, but there is power now, even on 6th gear at 60mph.

Overall impression so far: I've only driven about 2.5 hours total. I LOVE it. I wish the idle would be a bit better sounding or louder. During acceleration, the sound is just right. The cruising speed, and usually that is when my wife is with me, it is just peachy! I am very happy with it.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good for you...the Track sys sure does make the Viper sound a lot meaner…and that's a good thing! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No I did not lose the shift eliminator. It still turns on like normal. I assume that those who lost it probably damaged the air temperature sensor. That thing was a b**** to install into the tube. I ended up using a dremmel tool to open up the opening and sanding down the sensor. I don't know if I had to do it again, whether I would do the K&N install. Before I put the exhaust in, I drove around with the K&N and realistic, it was impossible to detect any hp improvement. Even if everyone is correct in their estimate of 15hp-20hp gain, that is a 5% increase. In a car where there is just so much hp already, another 15hp just is negligible. Now when installing BOTH the K&N and the exhaust, I am assuming it added up to 35-40hp increase, I was able to feel it at the lower end. I did not feel any increase in the mid-end.....However, I've only had the car for 1 month before the change and have only driven maybe....1000 miles total. I may not have gotten use to the stock yet. I really enjoy the SRT so much more now with the exhaust install.

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing the K&N and Corsa Track in my 03'(thanks JonB). A little trick to remove the sensor I found was to spray some WD 40 around the rubber holding the sensor,Then use a hair dryer to soften the rubber. Slide a small flat blade screw driver between the sensor and the rubber to expand the opening and carefully remove the sensor. A little WD 40 and the hair dryer also helps to install it in the K&N. I went ahead and installed the Skip Shift wiring harness as long as I had the skid plate removed. Hope this helps!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32