Just returned from the Silver State Classic!

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The event this year was more exciting than the last one I attended. There were more newer high performance cars making for a much more interesting car show (for me anyway). There were dozens of Corvettes (possibly 10 new Z06's), 3 Ford GT's, 9 or 10 Vipers, 3 Ferarris including an F40, 1 Lambo Gillardo, several Mustangs and various others. I have unfortunately misplaced the results sheet but they should be posted on the SSCC website in a few days. My son and I ran in the 150 mph class with my '96 GTS and finished with an average speed of 151.*** mph. That was obviously not close enough to win but I was happy. I told my son that I didn't care if we won, I just wanted to finish with an average speed above 150! I also don't know my radar trap speed yet. After I crossed the finish line and slowed to enter the pits I discovered that I had no clutch! The pedal was free and I could not get into any gear. I coasted to the pits and had to be pushed off to the side of the road. Fortunately, after letting it cool down it came back. Time for some new clutch fluid I guess.
There were a few Corvettes that didn't finish and that seemed to be the joke of the day. I was the 11th car out (of about 130 cars) and came upon a dead '06 Z06 about 3 miles from the start line. The driver was just heading for the perimeter fench as we passed by. He had to sit there until the last car finished. I'm sure he was not a happy camper!

Fast Freddy had an excellent run in the 150 class but still had to settle for second. I think Bill Bagshaw had a good run too. I can't remember the other results so jump in here if you were there.

One high light for me was getting to ride in Wally Fasnacht's twin turbo GTS. It dynoed at 996 rwhp and 1247 torq and it was insane!!!

Bob K

Reaction score
Bob:
Looks like you had a great time.

Fast Freddy did outstanding (to come in 2nd). :2tu:

The best I have done in 5 years was within 1 second (2005) and took 2nd. At this event, being within 1 second was good for 8th Place - VERY competitive!!!

I look forward to seeing the results for the Shootout and Z1Z.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats, it's an awesome event no doubt.

Not sure on the total rundown, but an ultima GTR with a TT LSx won the Z2Z. Says he was having ignition issues but still took it by a safe margin.

Now I have to call and break Rick's (F40) balls a bit :)

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anybody have the 1 mile shootout results?
Car would only rev to 7000 rpm (instead of 8000)
but would still like to know my speeds in the 2
runs before I broke my half shaft on launch.
if someone can email them to e I would appreciate it.
TIA
Wayne
[email protected]

2004 Lamborghini gallardo

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob K - well i survived the trip home, lol. as we all know the real race is just getting to the track and back on time and safe. it was a 1500 mile drive round trip for me to do this event and i blew a trailer tire on the way up. anyway, it was worth every bit of the time and effort. it was my first time doin the silver state classic and i had alot of fun. i look forward to doin it again next year. all of the people involved with this event were very nice to both me and my navigator Jeff Wren. in addition to you Bob K we met lots of other cool people that had some tricked out race cars. my fav cars at the event were the ford GT's and the ferrari F40. by far and away the best representative for this event was John Schnieders (aka bo duke) 69 dodge charger the "general lee" from the DUKES OF HAZZARD. after the race was finished when we were all pitted down at the finish line he had opened up the trunk to the general lee and he must have had at least a 100 lbs of junk back there. i said to john: 'you wouldn't happen to have any cold beer back there would you' john said: "no....... but i got some moonshine"

:headbang:

here are a few pix that my navigator took of my snake and the general lee doin the 1 mile top speed shootout on saturday.

2776scan00021-med.jpg

2776scan00011-med.jpg

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, i see they have finally posted up all of our 1 mile top speed shootout results. it seems that everbodies times seem awfully slow. obviously the 6,300 foot altitude played a role in this but that is not what i am talking about. i am not sure where the finish line was but my gps indicated i was doin 166 mph at the end of the cones. everybody i talked to gave me speed figures way higher than what they have listed on their site. either the finish line had to be way in front of the cones or their radar guns are way off. i think that the 1 mile course they had layed out was not really 1 mile in length and was more like 9/10's of a mile in distance. does anybody know exactly where the radar guns were located at the finish line :confused:

OP
OP
B

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, Fred. I also noticed that the 1/2 mile shootout results are post in the order of the fastest run whereas the 1 mile are post in the order of the first run only. That seems a bit odd to me. All three of my runs were with my navigator on board which would add about 200 lbs. to my weight. I did one 1/2 mile run without the navigator and extended it out to a mile. According to my speedometer I gained 3 - 4 mph without the extra weight. It's too bad they shut the course down early (The Japanese car blew up on the track). I would have liked to make a few more passes.

Bob K

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950