K&N Filtercharger whistle

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished installing my K&N. Simple. There was no plastic flash on any of the *******. When I started the car a slight whistle was heard that became very loud with RPM increase. The noise was coming from the attachment point for the crank case vent hose. I removed the system and inspected the ****** and it looked very clean. I passed a 3/8 drill bit into the opening and it hung half way. I then took a 1/2 drill bit and enlarged the entire length of the hole. I cleaned out the snorkel and reinstalled the system. There was no whistle at any RPM afterwards. Save yourself some time, before you install your K&N, go ahead and enlarge the hole for the crank case vent hose to 1/2". I did not have to do anything with the idle air vent hole. I am anxious for daylight to feel the results.

OP
OP
T

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took it out today, no real noticible increase in exhaust sound. At 140 it did feel like it pulled better.

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got mine today and took the "tube" piece out and tested the airflow through the fitting. By pushing enough air through it I could definitely make it whistle. Is there any reason to be concerned about boreing out that hole another 1/8" (from 3/8" to 1/2")?

sbtviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I received mine the tube looked clean so I just installed it and it whistled. Seemed to whistle when cold and then go away. Just saw the post and decided to drill it out. Alot more came out than I expected. thanks for the tip on the 1/2 bit.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mine should be here shortly, I ordered it a couple of weeks ago based upon some hopes of increasing air flow and hp. Is this snorkel that you are drilling plastic? Have you guys noticed an improvement in performance or any other benefits or results, such as increased noise? I spoke with Dan at DC performance a couple days ago and he reported that this "part" whistled since he first tested it some time ago. Is there some reason that K & N can't make it right from the start? I guess I'll just do the 1/2 inch bit too. Don't want a whistle. Thanks for the info. :2tu:

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone contacted K&N and asked them if it's _supposed_ to whistle for some unknown reason? Perhaps one of the vendors can comment here.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is more than 1 design/level of the K&N inlet tube. I got mine fairly early and cannot enlarge the PCV opening to 1/2 inch. The picture below shows the PCV ****** with a tap measure beside it. My PCV ****** OD is 1/2 inch. I did enlarge it to 3/8 inch and still have a whistle sound about 30-45 seconds after starting. The whistle slowly dies out but has a lot of rushing air sound. Prior to the whistle (after starting) the rushing air sound does not exist. It also stops immediately when I disconnect the PCV make-up air hose.

Suggestions?

225100_1536.jpg

OP
OP
T

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper SRT. Make sure you are measuring the correct ******. The one that I am referring to is the one that comes off the snorkle at a 45 degree angle. It is on the passenger side and is to vent the crank case. The idle air vent ****** did not cause a whistle on mine, so I left it alone. It is notably smaller than the crank case vent ****** and is on the drivers side.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I think I now understand. Unless I am incorrect (I am of course never wrong, just misunderstood).

The smaller ****** near the inlet temperature sensor is the PCV make-up air ******. The larger connection, at about a 45 degree angle, is the idle air control hose.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also installed the K&N filter kit. I have the whistle about 15 seconds after starting the vehicle and it goes away when the temp. gage reads about 150 deg.

When I installed my kit I disconnected the battery per the written instructions.
After driving the car I have found that my skip shift doesnt activate anymore. The yellow light ( and red light ) come on when you turn the key to the on position, during its self diagnostic check.
I talked to a couple Viper techs about this and no one can seem to come up with an answer as to why this happened. Disconnecting the battery is the only thing anyone can think of that could have caused this. I have driven about 125 miles since the install and have no check engine light and the car runs great.
I definately dont miss it. ( its a 3 mile drive at 15 mph to get out of our neighborhood )

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I installed mine last night. I drilled the larger fitting "hole" out to 1/2 inch and the smaller fitting "hole" out to 3/8 inch. This is about as large as I would dare drill these plastic fittings. When comparing the inside diameter of the two fittings at the same locations to the stock piece, the K & N fitting openings / "holes" are quite a bit smaller. I removed quite a bit of material. Result = no whistle. Getting the air temp sensor back in required some vaseline. Throttle seems slightly more responsive and cruising seems to take a bit less throttle at freeway speeds. :2tu:

Brian, I did not disconnect the battery and never do. With today's electronics, sometimes disconnecting the battery can create a "reset" with some electronic components. I wish I had a suggestion for you. Try the dealer. Good luck.

OP
OP
T

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed today that my skip shift seems to be disabled also. I did not disconnect my battery. Wonder why.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got a couple e-mails from other guys who also have no skip shift after K&N install. One guy disconnected his battery, the other didnt.
I called K&N Thursday and talked to TONY, he said he would pass it along to their tech support.
I forgot to ask about enlarging the ****** to 1/2 inch. Will call again Tuesday.
BTW I dont miss the skip shift, just really curious to know why it disappeared.
Chuck the Viper Wizard suggested I take the car to the dealer and have them connect the DRB and see if the skip shift is turned on in the PCM. Believe it or not I thought of that and had already went to my local dealer who said they needed a special card for the DRB to be able to work on the Viper so they couldnt check it for me. ( Chuck laughed and said they are full of crap, no special card is required )
:eek:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No change to the skip shift here. I just hit it yesterday while creeping to get gas (was way below E). Generally I never hit it.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since this is a new product offering by K&N, I wonder if they are going to address these minor issues with future production runs. Surely it wouldn't be a bad idea so it is right fresh out of the box without modifications needed.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed mine today. Skip still skips, and the whistle lasts about 10 seconds after startup, and is pretty loud. I'm not going to worry about the noise, since it vanished after the 10 seconds. Besides, it is too hard to take the box back off and put all the stuff back on.

By the way, removing that temp sensor was a real test of my patience.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drilled both ******* out to 3/8 inch and the whistle is gone completely. Anyone who gets one of these should at least open both ports up (note my PCV - smaller ****** - was blocked off completely). JonB notified K&N after my first issue. I have not passed on the whistle issue but my guess is that he is already aware of it and has notified K&N.

For a $300 dollar piece of plastic you would think that K&N would exercise a little quality control. Guess not.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After enduring a weekend of rain and more rain, I was bored stiff so I thopught I would go ahead and take the K&N Aircharger off the car and drill out the idle air vent hose. I only had a whistle after initial startup, but what the heck I am BORED.
I decided to pull out the original air intake tube and check to see what the factory hole sizes were before I started drilling on the K&N piece.

Factory idle air intake ******=.470 dia.
Factory crank case vent ******=.270 dia.

K&N idle air intake ******=.370 dia.
K&N crank case vent ******= .156 dia.

After seeing that both ******* were small, I decided to open them both up to the same size as the stock air intake. The whistle is gone.

Ps. Did anybody else think that the K&N filters had not been oiled when you removed them from their original packaging?
Both mine were dry, so I gave them a modest coat of K&N oil before I installed them.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also thought that, I called john b form partsrack and asked him. He said that the filters come pre oiled. To much oil is not good for the tps sensor.

vd..

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ViperD.
I have a K&N cleaning kit on hand for cleaning and oiling the filters in the other vehicles. It says in the instructions a second oil application is recomended for heavy duty applications, so I should be ok. I just gave it a quick spray and waited 20 minutes then reinstalled them.
:2tu:

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as Frank_03SRT. Installed mine on Saturday and it whistles for the first 5 to 10 seconds then disappears. I think I'll pull it back off and drill the ****** out anyway. I did experience the check engine light (I did not disconnect the battery for install). It lasted for roughly 20 miles then extinguished itself on the next startup.

Note to people getting ready to install -- the screws for the airbox lid, although appearing to be captive, are not... I found out when one fell down through the steering linkage into the carbon-fiber belly pan under the front fascia. After an hour of scraping my knuckles I employed the help of my contortionist 4 year-old son, who pulled it out in about 18 seconds. Then he got his first GOJO baptism :2tu:

Also, to remove the intake temp sensor cable, pull the red slide towards yourself (away from the intake) and squeeze the black tab towards the sensor body and it'll slide right out. To lock it back on, slide the fitting on until it clicks then push the red slide forward, towards the intake.

If you haven't done this yet, I took a ton of pics that'll walk you through it and will email them upon request. The kit does come with good instructions but it's not very detailed when it comes to the small stuff (like "HOW" to remove certain fittings...) Hope this helps.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Engineering and Marketing at K&N. They evidently never got the message about the flashings, and small holes. They are currently unboxing every unit, and will drill as necessary to enlarge the holes. They will also contact their supplier, and explain the situation to them, so the problem should soon go away.
If anyone wishes to have a before and after free dyno of this installation, they have offered to do so to anyone with a 03 or 04 that would like to swing by their Riverside facility.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All production from this date 6/23, and what very little they had in stock 6/22 is being factory-fixed. Thanks to your input.