K & N filters and smooth tube

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
got the k & n set up installed today, the filters look a bit smaller than stock but you can hear the differance in flow.

install was a snap.

can't wait for the rain to stop.

big thanks to parts rack and john b.

vd..

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
[quote
As JonB has graciously offered to loan one for our Dyno Day, I will get it done the same day it arrives here - hopefully next week.

[/QUOTE]

On the way....It left a couple days ago.....

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just purchased and received a complete set from 4Filters.com for $364.70! This is lower than Parts Rack! Not by much - not sure what the $100 off is all about with Parts Rack. This was just an online order and it arrived in about 2 days! Also included FREE shipping!

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just purchased and received a complete set from 4Filters.com for $364.70! This is lower than Parts Rack! Not by much - not sure what the $100 off is all about with Parts Rack. This was just an online order and it arrived in about 2 days! Also included FREE shipping!

I think parts rack is $299 now.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you are correct. I am still kicking myself as I went for the Summit proce before JOnB lowered his. And now of course I am waiting as it is backordered. Oh well as the weather here is not really cooperating anyway (but I did go for a short jaunt this afternoon).

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just purchased the setup for $269.00 from Nickels Performance. Arrived in two days.

Skip White

Gotta love our free enterprise system.Anyone at $199??lol

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the number to Nickels Performance, 1-800-251-0331 ext, 3030 Ask for Larry. This is the best deal I found on this setup.

It still seems so high for what you get.

Skip White

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Chris,
I'm not trying to rush you or anything, but did you get any dyno results yet? If not, when?

Hey JonB,
Any response to Nickels' pricing? All things being equal, I would like to support our VCA sponsors.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to rush you or anything, but did you get any dyno results yet? If not, when?

Well, a box arrived this weekend while I was out of town (youngest son made state finals for Science Olympiad) and I had too much work on my plate today. I have an appointment at my local Dodge dealer for the cooling/steering recall in the morning, but if it gets done early enough I will get it down to the dyno for a before & after. Otherwise it will have to wait until Thursday when I get back in town. Should be fun either way!

Chris

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey JonB, Any response to Nickels' pricing? All things being equal, I would like to support our VCA sponsors.

Thanks Mr Lee! A customer calls today and tells me to re-visit this thread. So I do. Thanks for the question to RESPOND: Here goes......long and whiney

It sounded too good to be true, so I called Nickels. Nickels says: "Skip White's Uncle Fred owns a parts store, White's Performance" so we gave Skip a private deal on two." Nickels denies this is a retail price. They were doing a favor for Uncle Fred. I would say 'call em' but Nickels says he even asked Skip NOT to post this as a retail price! Nickels does not stock them. Nor do they sell singles. Larry says he cannot handle any single/retail calls at $269.

Neither can PartsRack !

I laid my K+N soul open here, on how the pricing transpired, all in 36 hours. I apoligize for taking 36 hours to get real.

*** blew off a known, honest VCA vendor and he got fanged.
*** suggests a non vendor who now says "not true."
Others got a 'good price quote' but at places that have no stock.
Sheesh.

We have them IN STOCK, NO WAITING, at a fair, competitive $299 VCA price. If I sell for less I might as well not carry the product, much less LOAN it for VCA edification! This is a famous retailer's joke: "When I'm out of stock, the item is half price...when IN stock, they are fairly priced" So if you choose a competitor who is out of stock, what good is a low price?

WHINE: If "WE" vendors are to continue to advertise here, pay for this site, literally, support VCA and its events, we must be allowed to make some small margin. PLEASE? Skip, Fang, et al can take all the support, advice and benefits that all the VCA vendors provide here FREE, and then just search (for hours?) to buy elsewhere to save $20. Sheesh. They absolutely have that right. Summit Racing deeply APPRECIATES your business, I am sure. What have they done for the Viper community in return? WalMart comes to mind.

WalMart closed the Mom n Pops. PartsRack is a Pop n Pop competing with Billion-Doller Summits and TireRacks. So are ALL of the VCA vendors here! PLEASE consider supporting your VCA vendors even if we might occasionally be a few measly bucks higher? MANY OF YOU DO ! SINCERE THANKS! End of whine. Sorry.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just purchased and received a complete set from 4Filters.com for $364.70! This is lower than Parts Rack! Not by much - not sure what the $100 off is all about with Parts Rack. This was just an online order and it arrived in about 2 days! Also included FREE shipping! VCA President Sir Fang 4/2

Lemmi see Jerry.....how many THOSUSANDS I have donated in advertising and prizes to No and So CA VCA events... Thou$and$ of hard dollars over the years. And you paid MORE elsewhere and then post this versus PartsRack ?

As posted 3/22 PartsRack is $316 delivered, and you earn the deep gratitude of a VCA vendor, VCA Co-Founder, VCA 5-year national officer, and 8-year Regional prez.....who who makes his sole living in this way. Thanks Anyway. But keep sending those ad and prize solicitations...

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon is dead on.His price is real,and he has them in stock.I spoke to him today.Support those that support us.Jon,I will call you tomorrow on the headers.Thanks A.J.

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look out JonB. After that eloquent plea to members, if the results are impressive, you may be overwhelmed with orders! ;)

On a more serious note, you posted above in this thread some points that I very much agree with about adding 7-8 HP and proving that out on the Dyno. (Of course, there's the whole other question about whether and how much that translates into real world track numbers.) You concluded with "sometimes you gotta go with your gut". I'm curious as a Viper owner, club member, and vendor who has seen the parts, what is your "gut" on the performance benefit of the parts?

And I agree, Chris. HURRY!!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon - I'm in now that the dyno results are posted. Send me a set to the usual address. $316 sounds like a fine price to my ears.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon - I'm in now that the dyno results are posted. Send me a set to the usual address. $316 sounds like a fine price to my ears.

Many thanks Ben................for your umpteenth order.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just noticed the JonB reply on this post. Wow!

I do have an account with Nickels Performance and do have the ability to by at wholesale prices. It was my intention to pass this deal on to the Viper Community, and this is still possible. I really don't like the idea that someone would start out at a price of $374.00 and then drop his price because others have found the same product for much less. This is classic JonB, and in a sense this is part of business, but then carry on as if he will always provide the best deal out there. If the people on this site can't see a problem with this, then I must wrong.

JonB thinks it's ok to write up a reply like this, I will not tolerate it. I will sign up with K&N at wholesale level and I will offer these system's to my fellow Viper Owners at a normal price mark up. I have had dealing's with JonB in the past, and I don't want to go into that right now. Read this post completly, and you will have a more clear picture of what I'm trying to say. I'ts my opinion that if JonB could control the price of parts, and he doe's try to do this, we would be paying much more for parts. I've experianced this first hand.

Skip White

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if Jon B set the price of his stuff at one level, then reduced the price as competition demanded, so what? Isn't that what free enterprise is all about?

Second, price is only one consideration in deciding from whom to buy a product. As Jon points out, he supports the Viper nation in a number of ways. Not the least of which is to educate us - for free in many instances. It seems that all you need to do is call him or post on the board and you get information. Sure, Jon wants you to buy stuff from him and, at least in part, that is why he spends the time to hand out free information. But, the fact remains that he does it.

So, if you pay a few bucks more for stuff from Jon from time to time, big deal. What you get from Jon exceeds the product itself. Sheesh. If saving a few dollars means that much to you, perhaps you should trade your Viper in on a Corvette. Or, better yet, on a clapped out Pinto.

I'm not familiar with the other retailers named in this thread, so it may be that they hand out free advice like Jon does. Though that seems unlikely because I don't recall seeing them answer questions and post other information on this board. In any event, if they do, then it may make sense to buy from them. Just don't be so short sighted as to make your buying decision based on saving a few cents.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few bucks saving's! How do you figure, $374.00 then he drops down to $299.00 a small amount. Yes I do believe in free enterprize. All I tried to do was pass a good price on a product to the Viper Community. It seemed ok for two others on this post to mention where to buy the system for less, what is your problem with me doing the same. You'r reply makes no sense. All I'm saying is that I don't like the comment's or implication's JohnB made. They were totally uncalled for.

What business did JohnB have, posting the conversation between him and Nickels Performance, then changing it around to make it sound like I was out of my mind.

The funny thing is that you seem to think JonB is the greatest, when in fact I've never met someone so unfreindly unless you deal with him exclusively. I really don't like such intimidation.

I spent over $20-K with Sean Roe in the past and he had treated me pretty much the same, when I spent $200.00 with him, and as many of you know, he is a gentleman all the way, and in my opinion much much more knowledgeable on the Viper than JohnB

And far as what determines my decision on buying something, that is very important to me, It is this very reason I don't buy from JonB. I don't like someone that tries to make you feel stupid if you do buy elsewhere.

Your remark about me trading in my car is uncalled for, and makes no sense.

Like I said, I have my reasons for not wanting to deal with JohnB.

I don't really understand why you are defending JohnB the way you are.

Skip White

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be impolite but could the pro and con conversation regarding Jon be taken elsewhere. This was a good, informative post about the new K&N filter system for the SRT. Let's try to keep it that way.

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be impolite but could the pro and con conversation regarding Jon be taken elsewhere. This was a good, informative post about the new K&N filter system for the SRT. Let's try to keep it that way.

Yeah, that's probably the best idea.

Nonetheless, I want to add that my point was not necessarily to defend Jon B. My point was that buying something (almost anything?) based on price only is short sighted. My point also was that it seems unreasonable to criticize a business for setting a price, then reducing it in the face of competition. That is the nature, if not the definition of free enterprise.

In any event, there certainly are worthy parts suppliers and shops out there in addition to Jon B. Many Viper owners have sources who, for any number of reasons, they prefer over Jon B. And that is fine, so long as more thought and reason go into it than "I'll go with whoever can save me a dollar or two."

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I will throw in my two cents here, as well as point out that an "unpolluted" thread on the filters is listed with the dyno results... ;)

When the price was first posted by JonB, HE did not post it - I did. I pressured him for a price on it and he looked at suggested retail ($473) and figured he could knock at least $100 off of that price without even knowing what his cost was. And that did NOT include his VCA member discount of 10%, which brought it down to $335. He was trying to make sure he had his company in there as a vendor and assumed his price would work for him and for consumers. When he spoke more at length with K&N and also found what other vendors were trying to sell for, he lowered that price down to $299. The only "crime" I see here is that he tried to get a price out immediately in order to satisfy the demands of the market without knowing his costs beforehand.

Make no mistake, I think the world of JonB and again thank him for the loan to test these filter setups. However I also know that as one of the larger Viper vendors he DOES have some control over some of the market price points and it isn't always the best price 100% of the time. Guess what? That is the way the retail world works. If anybody has EVER shopped for anything like computers, etc., you will see that most retailers offer to "match the lowest advertised price." They aren't setting the pace, but simply covering their butts in the event somebody has a better price. Nobody mentioned a price on this thread until I forced JonB to give me one. He could very easily have offered it at retail ($473) and left it at that. Instead he rolled the dice and figured $373 retail ($335 VCA member price) would work.

I support those vendors that support both me and the VCA. Doug Levin Motorsports, Roe Racing, Elite Motorpsorts of Tampa, and PartsRack have NEVER hesitated to step up to the plate when the Kansas City VCA asked for support for an event - like our upcoming Dyno Day. Add the fact that they are spending some serious money to support this site and other Viper events, and I don't give a crap if they do get a little more off the top from me. They have EARNED my business.

Sorry for the tangent, but I wanted to point out that it was me that posted JonB's price originally. I guess that is the price you pay when you try to get information out early.

Chris

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree completely with Chris. And Skip...chill a bit dude. Modding a Viper is like mowing your yard...as soon as you get it done it needs it again. JonB has helped me "learn" my '01 and continues to assist me with the '03. Sure, I buy from other vendors but JB knows he is my main supplier. I don't take up a lot of his time because I've got a life of my own to deal with and I respect that so does he. When you have given to Vipers what JB has...you can call him on his efforts.
Until then...enjoy your car and keep the yard looking good.

Sorry for the hijack...had .02 too many...needed to get rid of a couple.

CStegall

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang