Katrina devastating - let's step up

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Katrina devastating - let\'s step up

The scenes of suffering in New Orleans and all along the Gulf Coast are gut wrenching. The people there are now all homeless, have had loved ones literally pulled from the grasp of their fatigued hands by tidal surge in the dark of night, have only the clothes on their back, and now must even evacuate the shelters because of the rising waters health concerns. Recovery will take a massive effort and last months if not years.

Some have still not been rescued. Imagine, at this very moment, being in total darkness with your family in the attic of your house, forced there by rising water and not knowing when help will arrive. Hard to imagine.

If we lived in the path of this storm, this could be any of us.

FEMA will pour billions of dollars into rebuilding and relief, but for immediate relief for essentials like food and water to eat and drink RIGHT NOW, the Red Cross seems to be the best delivery service.

I called the Houston Red Cross to see what the local shelters need, but the Red Cross has provided all the essentials needed for the hurricane victims that travelled here. The Red Cross said the best way to help is to donate cash. Well, I don't normally advertise my charitable gifts, but I'm making an exception this time. I am appealing to you all to go to http://www.redcross.org and make a donation to the 2005 hurricane fund. I just did. Thanks for reading.

Jim

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Katrina devastating - let\'s step up

Excellent post Jim. Made use of it already. Dr. Bob :usa:

Incredible human tragedy and physical devastation!! Got to help somehow.

OP
OP
J

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Katrina devastating - let\'s step up

Thank you Dr Bob. You have compassion.

The news this morning is even worse. New Orleans' worst scenario is coming true. 80% of their city is now covered in water and getting deeper.

DCR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Katrina devastating ...

I'm just back from a 3-year recall to Navy active duty and not up to speed on some stuff ... but didn't/doesn't Jay Herbert live down there? Has anyone got his updates? What about other VCAers?

DCR

:usa:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Katrina devastating ...

Jay is in northern Arkansas, so he should be fine - at least as far as the hurricane goes. ;)

There are at least 3 or 4 other VCA folks down in New Orleans proper, with several others in outlying areas. Our prayers are with all of them.