"Keep-the-car-alive" Requirements

• Thread starter Bob Weidenfeller
  • Start date
B

Bob Weidenfeller

\"Keep-the-car-alive\" Requirements

From the day I drove this car home, I decided to get involved in some type of performance driving / track events. The ViperDays seem a perfect fit, however none seem to be available in the Dallas area. Before venturing to an out of town event, I decided to sign up for Keith's Texas Triathlon consisting of a 1 day school, and 2 days for autocross, road (TMS oval and the infield?) and drag racing.

I also decided to resist the urge to add any performance upgrades to the car until I understood more of its dynamics. I did, however agree with myself to proceed with any upgrades that fell into the "keep-me-alive" or "keep-the-car-alive" categories.

For the keep-me-alive, I've added a hardtop (Autoform) and planning on installing a 5-point harness.

For the keep-the-car-alive, my original assumption was this was taken car of by the engineers at Dodge. From posts I've been reading the last little while, I'm not sure that is a safe assumption. I've seen mention to brake fade with stock fluid, brake heat melting ball joint boots, fan upgrades for pre-October '98 (mine is 2/98), oil starvation especially on oval (TMS?), ...

So after all this verbage, the question is ... For an out-of-the-box '98 Viper RT/10, what should I be worried about for this type of event? What upgrades could be considered required to prevent damage to the car?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"Keep-the-car-alive\" Requirements

Get a battery tender. A must to keep the car alive, not to mention the battery.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck,

Stainless steel brake lines on your GTS??? Are you really thinking about putting your baby on the track??? Or did you just want her to look good in that cocoon you have her in?

Jon 98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bob,

I don't mean to say that any of the upgrades mentioned in previous posts are a bad idea but imo, you won't damage the car if you DON'T do all of them...

For example, if you're running street tires and stock pads, I doubt you are going to be able to generate enough heat to worry about damage to the ball joint boots. The only times that I've seen the boots be a concern is with people who are running slicks and performance pads (or other brake upgrades); with street tires, it is much less of a concern.

Take a look at the Viper lettering on your calipers. If it is white, then you have nothing to worry about. If it is dark brown, then definitely heat wrap the ball joints. On the other hand, Al foil is cheap and easy -- you won't hurt anything by doing it. But is it "necessary" to prevent "damage to the car?" Probably not for an "out of the box" car. Personally, I think the Porsche deflectors would help more than heat wrap...

A lot of it depends on your experience as a driver. If you can drive the car hard enough to peg the temperature gage, then you probably have enough experience to watch the water temp and back off until the car cools off. If you can brake hard enough to experience brake fade, then you probably know what to do when that happens. In other words, no upgrade will ever take the place of common sense and experience.

Use a high temp brake fluid, make sure the PS cap is tight (consider adding a $2 breather hose on the top of the cap), always do a cool down lap (try to avoid using the brakes) and pop the hood open when you park it. Relax and enjoy the car. If it's a bone stock car, it's not going to break; you're only going to wear out brakes and tires...

Oh yeah, one other thing: change oil and filter before every weekend at the track and bleed the brakes.

See you at the track -- Jon

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jon 98GTS:

if you're running street tires and stock pads, I doubt you are going to be able to generate enough heat to worry about damage to the ball joint boots.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. I know of at least one person who cooked the rubber boots while running street tires and stock brakes. The Viper logo on his brake caliper was definately brown from the heat. Another friends front wheels have a gold tint because of the heat and he too is running street tires and stock brakes.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BWoodbury:
Chuck,

Stainless steel brake lines on your GTS??? Are you really thinking about putting your baby on the track??? Or did you just want her to look good in that cocoon you have her in?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say that I have them! But I am interested in going out on the track. After VOI I was hooked. But I'm still very concerned about it's appearance...
You must be registered for see images

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well Chuck, your '97 sure looks better than my '96. But I got a whole box of Zanio stuff sitting in my garage. When the weather breaks I'll at least try to get the same league as you.

I'm planning on going up to Viper Days when they go to Road America August 9th and 10th. Looks like a great chance to go out and play on the best track around here.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Keeping the car alive longer:

Less Fluids Heat! Coolant, oil, tranny, rear, brakes, P/S.

Better oil capacity and circulation in motor.

Insulaton/shielding of exhaust, rotor heat, P/B booster, Wires.

Other stuff I'll think of when I end this post! E-me !

JonB~~~~:&lt;~

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang