Keys locked in car with dead battery

alduin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally found my key fob for my 2013 Viper.... they fell out of my pocket and are on the floor of the car.... but the battery is unplugged because of electrical issues my car has....

This hasn't been my week.

I hear there is a set of terminals or something under the hood that I can use to power the car so that I can open the doors.

Is anyone familiar with this and can they point me to them (or post a pic)? I'm assuming I'll need another battery and some jumper cables (perhaps I can steal the battery out of my daily driver).

Thanks for the help!!

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should be a charging post under the hood. Follow the heavy wires from the starter to a large nut on the jumper post, usually covered by a RED plastic protection cover. It's usually right next to the fuse panel. From a jump pack or other good battery, hook positive cable to that point, it should be labeled as POSITIVE or +, then negative to a good ground and it should allow you to open the door and get your key.

I found a pic of a 2008 and it's pictured right in front of the brake booster with a white arrow pointing to the POSITIVE point! I assume the 2013 is similar.
You must be registered for see images attach

On a Gen II it's just behind the left front wheel, under the hood, on a flat area just above washer bottle. I removed the plastic cover and added a battery disconnect at that point that I isolate the battery from the system with. I can leave the car sit for months and even a year or more and the car will still start without jumping it or ever charging it!

Good Luck!

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So I finally found my key fob for my 2013 Viper.... they fell out of my pocket and are on the floor of the car.... but the battery is unplugged because of electrical issues my car has....

This hasn't been my week.

I hear there is a set of terminals or something under the hood that I can use to power the car so that I can open the doors.

Is anyone familiar with this and can they point me to them (or post a pic)? I'm assuming I'll need another battery and some jumper cables (perhaps I can steal the battery out of my daily driver).

Thanks for the help!!

Silly question I know. But, don't you have 2 sets of key fob's?. Both the Fob's have a key that you can pull out and use to manually open the door with.

OP
OP
A

alduin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I found the positive terminal in the fuse box as mentioned. I also had to put the negative terminal on some sort of 'gray pump looking thing' because apparently the cross bar and some other black bar near the wheels don't work as grounds (hah, forgive the terminology).

And unfortunately, I don't have a second key fob. I should probably pick one up.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I found the positive terminal in the fuse box as mentioned. I also had to put the negative terminal on some sort of 'gray pump looking thing' because apparently the cross bar and some other black bar near the wheels don't work as grounds (hah, forgive the terminology).

And unfortunately, I don't have a second key fob. I should probably pick one up.

Unless you bought it used, Vipers come with 2 Key fobs. Even used it still should have 2 unless the prior owner was a dick and kept it. Glad to see you got the battery sorted though.

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Normally anything that is painted is NOT a good ground! Look for bare metal or a bolt head.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave