Know why the vettes pulled me - K&N strikes again

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I finally figured out why those pesky corvettes were pulling me on the straights. At least part of it turned out to be the K&Ns.

I just bought them a month ago from parts rack so I figured they would be "the new ones". After taking them apart today, I noticed that one of the holes in my stock air box was 1/2 inch while the corresponding one in the K&N was somewhere between 1/4 and 3/8.

Boy what a difference it makes. My seat of the pants dyno says about 25rwhp (or so). The car is way more responsive and pulls much more aggressively.

For those of you as unmechanically inclined as I am, the left hole in the K&N (standing in front and facing the driver) is supposed to be slightly larger than 1/2 inch diameter. Not certain exactly what it does but its pretty easy to check and fix so I'd HIGHLY recommend it.

Thanks a ton to those on the board who found this a few weeks back. Wish I had checked it before my last track day <oops>

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after everyones K&N being so messed up I think I'm just going to get rid of mine and put my stock filters on until I get my car supercharged!

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's real simple ... drill out 1/2' on the large hole, and drill out 1/4" on the small hole ... runs like a champ then

OP
OP
G

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hold it - was I supposed to drill the small hole as well? you mean there may be more power to be had?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you guys find excess oil in your throttle body, on your sensors, etc.?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and for the people that have this problem does your car just "feel" like it has less power or does it actaully have less power on the dyno as well?

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have asked over and over, Has K&N fixed this problem??? :rolleyes: I am still surprised that any vette could pull on a viper K&N or no--unless the filters are making your viper run that badly, in which case the SOP should pick up on that. :confused:

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have asked over and over, Has K&N fixed this problem??? :rolleyes: I am still surprised that any vette could pull on a viper K&N or no--unless the filters are making your viper run that badly, in which case the SOP should pick up on that. :confused:

I have the "new" one and I'm not sure if its great or not...I know my car seems like its choking sometimes and I gotta rev it a few times to fix that...but that problem seems to be fixed now hasn't done it for about 2 weeks

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought many times of getting K&N but it seems to me that the problems out weigh the gains..............Maybe I'll wait a little longer.

Cheers
patrick

OP
OP
G

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SRTRICKY - No excess oil in the throttle body. It was all pretty clean.

Also, I am convinced that the K&N as previously installed was actually sapping horsepower so I don't think I had all 500 to play. I am fairly cerain it would show up on a dyno that way. Also, the responsiveness is so dramatic - when I hammer it, it goes.

I put the K&Ns on before I had 500 miles so I never really opened the cat up without them. I can tell you for certain - it is way more what I was hoping for now than it was before.

Kelly06 - I don't think the Z06 was stock. He is a really good driver and I have had a slight edge on him with the GTS for several years now. I think the lack of responsiveness and ultimate lower straight speed gave the edge back to him. In any case, its been pretty close for years - just trying to stay a couple of car lengths ahead :)

j

-

05 Venom

FYI....The K&N's were not designed exclusively for the Viper. Many vendors would want you to believe there was alot of research and development going into the K&N system for the Viper...truth is the filters were on the shelves and K&N just threw together an intake tract. Ever notice how small the filters are compared to stock and green filters? The filtered ends don't add much.

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I missed the original post on this issue. I've never felt that the K*N's did ANYTHING for me.. I simply couldnt tell the difference..

Can someone point me towards the original posting? Which holes???

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I definitely felt the improvement (SOP) when I drilled out the K&Ns (but it felt sluggish and sick until I did this) ... I'm keeping mine on now

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05 Venom -
FYI....The K&N's were not designed exclusively for the Viper. Many vendors would want you to believe there was alot of research and development going into the K&N system for the Viper...truth is the filters were on the shelves and K&N just threw together an intake tract. Ever notice how small the filters are compared to stock and green filters? The filtered ends don't add much.

I suspect your correct that the K&N's don't flow the same as the stock paper, but it will be close.

K&N filters = washable instead of replacing paper elements.

Smooth tube intake = more power over stock.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is solved as far as the bad running of the engine. As discused before one need to remove the baffle and then remove the K & N filter assembly and clean any oil from inside the throttle body. Also remove and clean the two sensors with electric motor cleaner and air dry. I looked at mine and found that the two hose connections were much smaller than the stock, my unit was the lster design i was told, so I drilled them out to the same size as the stock unit. The stock air box does not come even close to fitting tight around the K & N plastic T assembly so I would suggest putting foam tape around it between the air filter box and the T connector, make sure you check mit with a flashlight as there is a ton of room between the two. Next one needs to remove the factory baffle from the ram air duct in the hood and again use foam tape to seal between the air box and the hood so no outside air enters except throuh the hood scoop. The change your spark plugs to Autolite XP985 and you will not believe the difference! Be sure to disconnect the negitive battery post, 10 mm socket, and leave it off for a few minutes so that the computer is reset. This made a whole world of difference on my viper. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR KEYS IN YOUR POCKET BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE NEGITIVE BATTERY BECOUSE WHEN YOU REATTACH THE BATTERY CABLE THE WHOLE SYSTEM GOES INTO ANTI-THEIF MODE AND SHUTS DOWN. JUST OPEN THE DOOR WITH YOUR KEY, UNDER THE SIDE SCOOPS ON THE DRIVER DOOR IS A KEY LOCK, AND GET IN AND START THE CAR AND LET IDLE FOR 10 MIN AND EVERYTHING WILL WORK AS IT DID BEFORE

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
05 Venom -

I suspect your correct that the K&N's don't flow the same as the stock paper, but it will be close.

K&N filters = washable instead of replacing paper elements.

Not likely ... K&N's probably flow much better than stock, even if they are smaller. Most K&N type filters flow more than any throttle-body (or intake) is capable of using. The washable filter is typically the easiest flowing part of the entire intake system (not so with paper).

Smooth tube intake = more power over stock.

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just drilled out my "new style" K&N with the proper diameter holes tonight. Holy Sh$^!!!! What a huge difference. Also removed the rain baffle and top of air box. What a huge difference....car pulls much harder. Anybody have any suggestions about the air box??? Should I put the top back on? Seems to flow more air without?????

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drilled out my K&N s today and agree that, seat of the pants, the sluggishness was gone, pulled harder (though stumbled a bit on first few full throttles(recalibration?)) and throttle response much quicker. The stock holes on the K & Ns are very small. You will be amazed at the amount of plastic that will need to be drilled out.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Know why the vettes pulled me - K&N strikes again

It certainly isn't right you have to drill out the holes; that's K&N's job. This is an incomplete product.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My K&N intake breather tube was 3/8. I drilled it to the 1/2 required.

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Can anyone post pics? What holes are we talking about. I looked in my car and don't know what holes you are talking about. Thanks.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The problem is solved as far as the bad running of the engine. As discused before one need to remove the baffle and then remove the K & N filter assembly and clean any oil from inside the throttle body. Also remove and clean the two sensors with electric motor cleaner and air dry. I looked at mine and found that the two hose connections were much smaller than the stock, my unit was the lster design i was told, so I drilled them out to the same size as the stock unit. The stock air box does not come even close to fitting tight around the K & N plastic T assembly so I would suggest putting foam tape around it between the air filter box and the T connector, make sure you check mit with a flashlight as there is a ton of room between the two. Next one needs to remove the factory baffle from the ram air duct in the hood and again use foam tape to seal between the air box and the hood so no outside air enters except throuh the hood scoop. The change your spark plugs to Autolite XP985 and you will not believe the difference! Be sure to disconnect the negitive battery post, 10 mm socket, and leave it off for a few minutes so that the computer is reset. This made a whole world of difference on my viper. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR KEYS IN YOUR POCKET BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE NEGITIVE BATTERY BECOUSE WHEN YOU REATTACH THE BATTERY CABLE THE WHOLE SYSTEM GOES INTO ANTI-THEIF MODE AND SHUTS DOWN. JUST OPEN THE DOOR WITH YOUR KEY, UNDER THE SIDE SCOOPS ON THE DRIVER DOOR IS A KEY LOCK, AND GET IN AND START THE CAR AND LET IDLE FOR 10 MIN AND EVERYTHING WILL WORK AS IT DID BEFORE