KwikLift garage car lift for those with small garages!!

Reaction score
lift1.jpg

lift2.jpg

Here is a shot of the oil collector I got from KwikLift:

oil1.jpg

Note: I did have to modify the oil collector to fit under the car. I was initially upset about this, but I sat for a while and figured that most normal cars would be OK. In it's "stock" form the collector has a sliding aluminum tube so the large collectr can telescope up and down. What I had to do was cut the neck on the orange part down to about 3/4" (just enough for the clamp), and I ended up having to remove the aluminum tube. I also changed the wheels to smaller wheels. I could have left the wheels off, but I didn't want to. :) As it is, the whole assembly fits under the frint of the car and there is about an inch clearance to the oil pan. I just finished the first oil change and it was easier than I had thought it would be. The filter was a little interesting....but it, too, was easy once I figured oout how to approach it.

Here is a shot (camera *****) that tries to give you some idea as to how much room you have underneath.

lift4.jpg

And another right around the oil pan area:

lift3.jpg

Here is the all elusive skipshift solenoid. The Eliminator itself is the black piece with the rubbery end....and the plug has the blue end with white clip:

skipshift.jpg

And finally, the kit my wife bought came with the center-lift bridge (on right). I bought the creeper from them as well. Ractheting head-rest, very smooth!

lift5.jpg

OK....overall the assembly was easy! My 15 year old son and I did it in about 45 minutes....but it was FREEZING and threatening snow...so we busted our butt to get the Viper back under cover. :) The ramps have three lengths....mine are in the middle and the lift fits in my tiny garage perfectly. I cannot, easily, get around behind the car (I can but it is tighter than without the lift). I can get around the front easily. You should have seen my son's eyes when I started to hand him the keys and said "OK, what I want you to do now is drive the VIper up so I can watch for problems". LOL!!!! He guided me on without problem. I added the non-skid strips as suggested in the manual. Get it???? Red....balck stripes..... :)

The way it is right now....as long as I keep the driver front tire just "hiding" the outside black stripe...I am on perfect. Something I learned from Wing King is....I plan to add a mirror on the front wall so I can load without someone watching.

I have a low profile jack I got at Sam's.....no good. The jack you need for this has to go down to 5" or less....but UP to about 20". So....I bough another jack. :) Drive on, jack the back up, release the rear legs, set it down. Now you can get under there without having to worry about jack stands, etc.

Oh, it came with those cute little "approach ramps", which I initially scoffed at. To my pleaseure, though, they came in handy!!

All in all, it is perfect for my situation...my wife done good! I have some fine tuning to do.....such as the mirror, and maybe placement. My goal is to have it so I can drive up, hit the door opener, drive on, and hit the opener (closer in this case). Right now I have to get out and set the little approach ramps at the edge of my garage floor, leaving about a 6 inch gap between them, and the lift. Like this, I do not rub.....but I would if it weren't for the little ramps. Thank goodness my son was watching!!

BTW....customer service has been great! I would like for the oil collector to be better...but that is about it. AND...it is probably perfect for normal cars. I do have Eibachs. My neighbor wants to change the oil in his F-body....so I'll know in a few days about clearance.

The guys at KwikLift kept me in the loop WRT shipping. I was initailly supposed to pick it up at the loading dock. I called Overnight and arranged for home delivery. I'm still confused by that.....but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. :)

Yes, my camera *****...it is OLD!!! Yes, my garage *****.....but it, too, is old....and it happens to be where I am right now, so I accept it and move on to things I can change at this point in my life. :)

kgrif

Viper Owner
Reaction score
don't apologize, your stuff is just fine and many of us are envious of your kwiklift. Enjoy and be safe!

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[******], why apologize? You've got a cool lift with a Viper on it! You're doing better than 99% of the people out there!

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
[******], why apologize? You've got a cool lift with a Viper on it! You're doing better than 99% of the people out there!

I wasn't really apologizing.....I guess I was really just giving myself a hard time...hence the smilies. :) I really feel exactly how you say.....I couldn't be happier (well....my wife could move up from FLA.). LOL!!!! :)

I popped over to see Bugeater today and I am always awe-struck by his garage....maybe a bit of garage-envy I guess!! ROFL!! All he needs in his garage is a little kitchenette....it already has a bathroom!! LOL It wasn't long ago I was storing the darn car in a self-storage place....so yeah, I'm happy. :)

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good! I am also garage challenged and it sure seems like a pretty good setup if you can't fit a full lift. Price seems pretty reaonable too. Once it is up on the lift, can you jack the car from that point to remove a tire?

--- Ken

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Looks good! I am also garage challenged and it sure seems like a pretty good setup if you can't fit a full lift. Price seems pretty reaonable too. Once it is up on the lift, can you jack the car from that point to remove a tire?

--- Ken

If you have the center-bridge piece, yes. In the picture it does not look very substantial....but I can assure you that it is VERY sturdy. Just inside both non-skid strips (relative to the center) on each ramp are groves. The center bridge spans the ramps and has a portion that rests inside the inner grove. Directions say to mount it solid with bolts....but it isn't going anywhere when I have it in there. Calls for a bottle jack for lifting...I'll have to experiment and see just what it will take. In theory this is how it works....I have not done it yet. :) Mind you, the theory was that the oil collector would roll right under. :)

They have instructions for laying the ramps out flat and parking on them....but I have a hard enought time getting the nose over the end of the ramps when they are tilted......there is no way I could get up on them if they were flat. Two major things stopping me from be RORO (Roll On, Roll Off) easily are the little approach ramps that help me clear the nose......and the mirror. I guess I could get good enough to simply line it up as I approach and roll right on....but visions of car half on and half off have me nervous!! LOL!

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don’t think I have seen any bad comments from those of us that have them; it has been invaluable in my work on the car. I wish I had room for a four post lift but this thing is pretty convenient. My car stays on the ramp all the time, if I am using the car a lot I just leave the ramps down, pull the parking brake and put the wheel chocks behind the rear wheels. I have jacked the car up using the center bridge and two bottle jacks, though I do brace under the center bridge using wood blocks to prevent flex. I was cheap though on the oil collector, my 5 gallon bucket fits great under the car…

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I don’t think I have seen any bad comments from those of us that have them; it has been invaluable in my work on the car. I wish I had room for a four post lift but this thing is pretty convenient. My car stays on the ramp all the time, if I am using the car a lot I just leave the ramps down, pull the parking brake and put the wheel chocks behind the rear wheels. I have jacked the car up using the center bridge and two bottle jacks, though I do brace under the center bridge using wood blocks to prevent flex. I was cheap though on the oil collector, my 5 gallon bucket fits great under the car…

Good to hear Jim! All who know me know I am a poser...so I had to turn my little garage into the Vipermad garage....not quite Vipermed's, but it looks good!!!! LOL!!! Thanks for the tip on the braces under the center bridge!!!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,,,,, that's not a garage,,,,,,,, that's a shoebox!!!!!LOL
j/k cool! a lil ingenuity is all it takes!!! :2tu:

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really neat! Bet you had a ball rolling around below your snake taking in the sites! Sort of like an astronomer looking up at the stars. Now you can finally paint the stipes on the bottom of the car like you've always wanted to.

One question... How come your "Big Red" shop stool is black? :)

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own and use a Kwiklift too - love it. Wonderful little lift.

I can stash it out of sight when not in use which is the best part and nobody even sees or knows that it's in the garage. Come spring, all the cars take a turn on the thing over a course of a week and voila - all done for a while. :)

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Craig 90 oil changes...

What's your trick for an oil change a three foot wide pit dug in lawn you park your car over?

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
ROFLMAO!! You should try getting around in there!!!

No walls coming down....I just have to bide my time here until my wife moves up from FLA. :) We can then consolidate our two households into one HUGE garage.....and a small living area for her!! LOL!!!

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love my KwikLift. I mad a set of approach ramp so I could park on it when it is flat. Just make sure to put a 2x4 or so under the back part as it is angled and when you start to drive on it it will pop up :shocked: it put the car at a nice height to wax ect.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Love my KwikLift. I mad a set of approach ramp so I could park on it when it is flat. Just make sure to put a 2x4 or so under the back part as it is angled and when you start to drive on it it will pop up :shocked: it put the car at a nice height to wax ect.

Thanks....I thought about that, but I really want to see if I can get it RO-RO. I don't see a problem parking it at an angle, nor do I see a problem with dropping the thing flat and parking as you have stated. Either way is OK with me.....as long as I can get in the car, hit the door button, and drive out. Then, upon return, hit the button, park car, be done. I still have to experiment with the placement in the gargae...but it is just too friggin cold to be messing with that right now. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala