latches for RT/10 Hard Top

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen latches on a Hard top like the ones on the soft top for GEN 2?? do they even exist??? if so please post a pic or where to buy...Thank You!!!

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want the long latches from the soft top for the hard top? Your hard top latches should easily latch if you're putting a bit of downward pressure from above when you're closing the latch.

Have you called Chuck Tator?

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm missing a front left latch on my hard top, I have no idea how or when it fell out and disappeared but it did. I checked with Chuck a couple years ago and there were only a handfull left of the OEM hard top latches and they were $450 each. I've been wondewring if the longer soft top latch would fit, please let me know what you learn.

OP
OP
A

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify I have the latches but no handles to lock/unlock in place, I have to use a hex/allen every time. I talked to Chuck and he said they didn't make long handle type latches for the hardtop cause there wasn't enough space that's why we have to use the hex/allen wrench, it's a pain in the butt, I could've swore I saw some with them though, maybe someone made an after market set???

OP
OP
A

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess there is no reason you couldn't gorilla glue one of these in place: http://www.bluetoothtools.cn/en/UploadPic/200906\200906951.JPG

:p

I've never seen one... but I have to say, I am going to look at my old broken soft top, to see if I can harvest the handle off of it and use it on my hard top...... hmmmm......

that's exactly what I plan on doing using JB-weld, I never used gorilla glue but JB-weld I have and it bonds very good...

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guys, I've used JB Weld but not Gorilla Glue but I've found some applications these products work and others they don't. I try to only use them where they won't be seen because if it fails to bond and the handle breaks off you're going to have a bunch of glue smeared all over your latch.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a part-time machinist (but without seeing what you have), I'd bet something suitable could be fabricated, a better solution perhaps than JB weld.... What's wrong with just using the little allen to turn it?

OP
OP
A

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a part-time machinist (but without seeing what you have), I'd bet something suitable could be fabricated, a better solution perhaps than JB weld.... What's wrong with just using the little allen to turn it?

nothing, that's what we've been doing all along but this is just a very small bit of evolution and ingenuity taking place, that's it nothing more and nothing less!!!...by the way JB-Weld is often used by hillbillies and rednecks to fix cracked engine blocks and they say it holds pretty good on those john deers...JB-Weld is specifically designed for metal but can be used on just about anything with a surface including smooth glass. I've never had any problems with it and I've never broke a allen wrench so I don't think there's really much that can fail but do as you wish, I will rig mine!!!

Fangs10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing, that's what we've been doing all along but this is just a very small bit of evolution and ingenuity taking place, that's it nothing more and nothing less!!!...by the way JB-Weld is often used by hillbillies and rednecks to fix cracked engine blocks and they say it holds pretty good on those john deers...JB-Weld is specifically designed for metal but can be used on just about anything with a surface including smooth glass. I've never had any problems with it and I've never broke a allen wrench so I don't think there's really much that can fail but do as you wish, I will rig mine!!!

So aloushi never had a problem with it so does that make him a redneck hillbilly? :lmao:

Only issue I have with those damn latches is squeaking. I fixed that yesterday with a quick wrap of electrical tape. So far so good.

OP
OP
A

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So aloushi never had a problem with it so does that make him a redneck hillbilly? :lmao:

Only issue I have with those damn latches is squeaking. I fixed that yesterday with a quick wrap of electrical tape. So far so good.

LOL, you got a good point there, guess I do have a little redneck hillbilly in me!!! yeeeehawww.. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala