Leaking pics from the rear of my car... Need some help from the experts!

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well yesterday i drove the car and it was fine. Today i just moved it out of my garage to wash it, and when i walked into my garage i saw 2 big spots of some sort of red liquid. It almost looks like blood, but of course its not. I took some pics of the garage floor. The 2 spots are positioned just inside where the rear tires are. I jacked up the rear of the car just to look with a flashlight and really didn't see much. (I am not mecanic though). The red stuff was pretty sticky feeling. Does anyone know what this can be? i attached pics to hopefully help. I hope its nothing serious. But i have a feeling when something leaks its never a good sign. :(

You must be registered for see images

The big dot here is just a bug that fell in it and died....

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Have seen a similar situation on a Gen II from over fill of lube points (boots) with Mobil's Synthetic Grease...which is red, and drips/spreads out when it warms up.

Are you SURE that it was not from the front end??

I ask, as the only other "red fluid" in a 2005 Viper (as I recall) would be the ATF+4 used in the power sterring and fan systems.

Maybe others can give a better answer.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing but not as much. Power steering is likely the problem. Have not taken mine in yet.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rears on each side symmetric like that...possibly the shocks blown. Unlikely but... Did you jar the rear suspension over something recently? It would have to be something pretty abrupt...or did you let someone drive it that might have ruptured something??

OP
OP
Y

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is coming from the rear of the car since its in the back of my garage right rear the rear tires and my car has never been backed in my garage ever.

So this cannot be power steering unless something to do with power steering is in the rear of the car between the rear tires?

As for blown shocks, hmmm, i am not really sure. I just switched to these Doug Levin Motorsports coilovers from my KW V2s that i had problems with. I would be surprised if its blown shocks already since i put maybe only 300 miles on this suspension. I did not hit any bumps and i am the only one who ever drives the car. But i will admit the rear suspension has not been as good i thought. It does seem to rub a lot and is very soft. The suspenension looked clean, so i am still not sure.

Can this have anything to do with my differential or tranny?

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow, have you found a good Viper tech yet or tuner in your area? I know there must be more than a few of them near you and I'm sure they can help once they see the car.

Good luck with it, it's always frustrating when the hot rod breaks even if it's brand new!
Larry

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
looks like gear oil to me... check the diff assy, especially the yoke's seal. that is the only place that it can leak and distribute evenly down the shafts.

or worse case scenario, you have a cracked diff case.

get back to us and let us know, good luck!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
IF you are using Dodge factory fill tranny and diff fluid...they ane NOT red.

Shocks are high on my list...now that you mention your swap-out.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE:

"Have seen a similar situation on a Gen II from over fill of lube points (boots) with Mobil's Synthetic Grease...which is red, and drips/spreads out when it warms up."

So far I would be looking at your grease fittings and seeing if they are clean or have red grease spilling out of the upper and lower ball joints. You will need to remove your rear wheels to get a really good look around the rear end and spindles. If everything is clean have you ever had the factory diff fluid changed to a non Mopar spec lube? As for the Motons you should be able to see if there is a leak.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As red as it is it looks like either power steering or Transmission fluid.

If the trans is leaking, it could be dripping onto the under tray and be running back towards the rear of the car.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An easy thing to check which seems stupid but happened to a local owner is that they had a bottle of fluid in their trunk that they forgot about and it started leaking. Same thing, they could not figure out where a red fluid was coming from at the rear of the car.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mopar factory fill tranny fluid for a 2005 Viper NOT red as I said above. If someone has substituted fluids that's a different story.

OP
OP
Y

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. When i get home from work i will take off a wheel and see if i can get a better look at where the leaking came from. Of course if i can't find anything i will bring it to the dealer or maybe Doug Levin Motorsports. But i am going away tomorrow so i would need to wait till i come back to bring it in. I will let you guys know what i find later and take some pics if i see anything.

The car has 5,900 miles on it and has only been serviced by my dealer. So if the tranny fluid is not red, then i suppose it can't be that unless the dealer used something else.

YELLOWFEVER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had fluid on my garage floor from the drivers side rear that ran into the inner side of the rim and tire. when i would back out of the garage, i would also see a tire mark a few feet out of the garage from the fluid that apparently had also run under the tire tread. I couldn't determine where it was coming from, so i put the car up on the lift in my garage and noticed that fluid was coming out of the top seal on the schock absorber. When i touched the shock, it was wet. I had the dealer replace the shock which took care of the problem. they had to order the shock since they don't stock them. I can understand why, the price of the shock was somewhere close to $900, glad this was covered by the warranty. The mechanic at the dealership said he had seen another viper come in with a leaky shock. It's odd that both of your shocks would be leaking though, but i guess anything is possible.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As red as it is it looks like either power steering or Transmission fluid.

If the trans is leaking, it could be dripping onto the under tray and be running back towards the rear of the car.

Good thinking and advice.
Larry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32