Learning so much about cars from owning my viper

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well it has been over one year of owning my 2000 GTS ACR and am learning quite a bit about cars since buying. I would advise anyone who isn't rich (like me) to strongly consider the opportunity costs before buying a used expensive car. I made a post a year ago about valve cover paint bubbling and had no idea what a valve cover was called. Since then I had to have my wife's sister's boyfriend teach me how to work on my viper. I was driving to work the other day and I lost power steering and my AC went out so I KNEW I just lost my serpentine belt. Since I recently learned to change one on my wife's old car, I realized that was the problem before opening the hood. Fortunately the balancer was only "wobbly" and not in need of anything more than loctite red threadlocker application and a new belt (old one looked fine but since it was off...why not replace it). Just put on new ps2's all the way around as well.

It feels good to learn about a car you own and that has been a gratifying experience; albeit an expensive one.

Now to some questions. Since replacing the serp belt my check engine light came on. I disconnected MAYBE a temp sensor or something located by the smooth tubes to have easier movement when putting on the belt. I reconnected it but that is the only thing I can think would cause the check engine light to come on. Any ideas?

Also, my side sills are disgusting. Besides a repaint, anything to get heavy tar build up off. I tried a bug and tar remover to little result. My vavle covers look bad and am debating what to do. Is powder coating the best option?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My vavle covers look bad and am debating what to do. Is powder coating the best option?
The general answer is yes, but the magnesium likes to bubble powder coat so be prepared for a couple of imperfections - especially if you go wrinkle finish as it is more prone to bubbling than smooth powder.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just powder coated my valve covers and intake. Powder coating is the best option but these pieces require a lot of prep work by your powder coater. So, find one that is knowledgeable, experienced and has done these successfully. I wish I powder coated mine sooner, it came out incredible but was worth the wait.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reconnected it but that is the only thing I can think would cause the check engine light to come on. Any ideas?

Besides a repaint, anything to get heavy tar build up off.

Item 1: Get the CEL code. CEL = Check Engine Light.

Item 2: Try Goof Off on the sills. I has some crap on the sides of my Super Duty that normally WD-40, which is 50% mineral spirits (paint thinner) would take off, but squat. Goof Off did wonders. Test in an inconspicuous area of course.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is somebody here from PA I think that seems to be very knowledgable about powder coating the valve covers. Hopefully he will chime in because I have a spare set I'd like to get done.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to Autozone and have them read the code for you, write it down or they may print it out for you. If it is benign, ask them to clear it for you. They aren't supposed to; but, often they will anyway. There is a really cheap basic code reader often on sale at Harbor Freight that you can quickly read codes and clear them with.

If you started the car before you reconnected the temp sensor on the airbox, that is your issue.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to Autozone and have them read the code for you, write it down or they may print it out for you. If it is benign, ask them to clear it for you. They aren't supposed to; but, often they will anyway. There is a really cheap basic code reader often on sale at Harbor Freight that you can quickly read codes and clear them with.

If you started the car before you reconnected the temp sensor on the airbox, that is your issue.
aha.....that is exactly what happened. I will get it erased then.

on another note; sway bar end link bushings.....***. My bushings are beat but am not spending 200 a pop. Isn't someone here trying to use Dakota ones? That would be interesting and cost effective.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMBPerformance.com does lots of Viper work and is an excellent powdercoater. I had mine done there and they look great.

P9270299.JPG

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The viper isnt nearly as expensive to maintain as other high end cars...my nsx clutch job set me back 4k.....same job on the viper is 1k

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

aha.....that is exactly what happened. I will get it erased then.

Been there, done that. The Autozone guy was happy to sit in a Viper. Said that he wasn't allowed to erase the code when I asked. He printed out the code and said "you're good to go." I thanked him, drove away, and, surprise, no check engine light anymore. That's when I used my 20% off coupon to buy the cheap HF reader when it was on sale so it is more convenient for me to do.