Lengthening 02 wires and other exhaust installation questions

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O2 wires carry/resist voltage. Cutting/lengthening the wire will trigger a CE light. I made this mistake and had to replace the sensor @ $100. I assume you're referring to the l/s sensor. Loosen the a/c compressor and reroute the wire from between the compressor and engine block and you'll gain about an additional 6" to 8" of length. Worked for me!

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do the 02 wires have to be lengthened when installing headers if the sensor is still in the collector, or is that only if the sensor is moved to one of the primary tubes? I'm getting close to tackling the installation of a complete B&B system and need to know what else I might need besides what they sent me.

Also, I read the recent discussion of which RTV sealant to use, but would you still use sealant if you're using copper gaskets? B&B sent 10 copper flange gaskets and copper gaskets for the collectors as well. I didn't know whether the sealant was only for connections without gaskets, or for both.

Finally, should I reuse the stock manifold bolts, or invest in some locking header bolts?

Thanks, and any other tips are most welcome!

Ronnie

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the B&B tri-y headers and I used a graphite NAPA gasket for the two bolt flanges, but did use copper for the 3 in. three bolt flange. The copper gaskets did not seal well enough on the two bolt. The red Ultraseal works fine, but use it as they recommend, on one side of the gasket only.

The O2 sensor wire does not have to be lengthened; you only have to reroute it so that it does not go through the steering pump bracket.

For the gasket to the heads, I used the stock Viper graphite gasket. This will not burn out if installed correctly. Also get a set of 5/16 ARP stainless header bolts for mounting to the heads. These come from Summit Racing, 800-230-3030.

Jerry Scott
303-697-0662

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Jerry, I have the 5 into 1 version rather than the tri-y, so I don't have any two-bolt flanges in between. When you say you used the stock gasket at the heads, did you reuse the one that was on there, or did you buy a new one?

Ronnie

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Joe, got a question. I too had the cats removed and o2 sensores lengthened. Check engine light came on for reason you stated above. I put in the mopar computer, thinking it was normal because of the lack of cats, and it disappeared. After talking to few people I realized what you did. When I thought about it, I also remember a dodge tech telling me that he check the code and it was a short. I ignored him because once again I assumed it was normal because of the lack of cats. Once I learned that the light should not be on I decided to put the stock computer back in and get the problem fixed. the only problem is, is that there is no problem. the light hasn't come on again. i can't explain it. Like I said before, the wires were lengthened, so shouldn't the check engine light come on again?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21