lets ask Bill Pemberton about engine noise!

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill Pemberton of Woodward Dodge in Blair, Ne. sells a lot of Vipers. Bill, if you would please, read the posts on percieved engine noise on the 00/01 Vipers and give us your opinion. We all would appreciate your view. Thanks, from a happy Woodward customer, Fred. 01GTS

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, not Bill here, but bought my '01 from him.

First, some '01 cars had low oil pressure episodes when new. I did, changed the oil and no more problems. I am going to guess someone was too generous with assembly lube at assembly. Has everyone done an oil change and made sure the oil pressure is over 40 psi at cold idle (and near 40 hot?). Low pressure can cause valve clatter with hydraulic lifters.

I now have about 3K miles on my car and have had 3 other Vipers (still have the '93). There may be some more valvetrain noise in the '01 than earlier cars, but I am not sure. This car is so much smoother and quieter everywhere else that this sound may appear accentuated.

In any event, it does not worry me. The car runs & drives fine, uses no oil, makes good power (119 mph in the 1/4) and so why worry? In fact, I miss my neutral gear rattle and the idle lope of the earlier cars.

If Dodge is forced to take too many rough edges off the car due to noise complaints, we are going to end up with a real marshmallow car, guys.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The consensus appears to be that the neutral gear rattle and lumpy cam concerns have been replaced by the noisy lifters in 2000/2001. The comments from numerous owners of earlier models have mentioned that there seems to be more lifter noise in their new cars, but the engine also seems alot quieter. Take away lumpy , and we can hear the engine better, hence the non-technical thoughts are, the lifters appear noisier. The main thing is no one appears to be having any problems.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In addition to the cam change and ECU changes which quiet the underhood vibration sounds, a main reason that 2000 - '01 - '02 Vipers are much quieter is the lighter piston weight, and tighter bore-fit of same. Less overall vibrations on the crank due to the tighter fit, and less reciprocating mass of the cast pistons. One results is quieter operation. End bonus is a longer-life of the crank..........

So you now can HEAR the other noises: injectors, lifters, belts... they even went to a "quiet-runner" Serpentine belt!

If you want those sewing-machine noises to go away, call me for some header/cat-back options !

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bill for your reply. Of course it is Bill Pemberton of Woodhouse dodge! Good people!

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right on JohB,

I was going to comment, "Are those sewing machine noises you are hearing?"

Best way to describe the wear associated with "those" noises is that if you look at the metal that has worn away on a sewing machine with 100,000 miles on it .... well, that will be the amount of metal that will wear away on your Viper in 100,000 miles.

I had a ride in a bi-plane where I sat right up against the firewall. I would take my hand and place it on the jug of the radial engine I was so close.

I heard every imaginable noise that could come from a reciprocating engine: whir, tick, knock, rap, slap, whine, you name it. Every moving piece was making a noise? It was a symphony of sound..... (ride was pretty impressive too.)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fred:
Of course it is Bill Pemberton of Woodhouse Dodge!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't get the name right, It'll be Bill P. from WoodSHED Dodge.....and he'll take you there next visit!

Then again, I remember something about:

"*****'s Dodge, Pemberton Arkansas, next to the Old Wood House, where you always get a better BILL for your Dodge."

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 2001 from woodchuck
and will sold it to me!!!

and it now has 3300 miles and the engine sound just perfect
this is my first viper so i have nothing to compare it to.
but no loud noises or clicks or bangs or rattle just a nice
purring.....

I love this car!!!

Did i mention i love this car??? Woodhouse and bill were great to deal with!!!