Light em up!

LarryJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly do people want when they yell this at me? Do they just want me to squeel my tires or something else?

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They want you to "boil the rubber", "smoke the tires", "do a burnout", "lay a patch", etc., oh, and also possibly get cited by John Q. for a "demonstration of speed" violation.

Ignore the comments. They come much too frequently and have no redeeming value whatsoever. On the track, however, go for it as big as you like!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACR Joe:
no redeeming value whatsoever.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta disagree with ya Joe.
cool.gif

Reaction score
lightng them up means:

1. The person telling you that is an idiot
2. Your spinning and not going anywhere
3. Your car can spin the tires but your still slow
4. You are an idiot
5. You are an idiot and spinning your tires

OP
OP
L

LarryJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't been on a drag strip yet. what is the best way to do this at the track? do you just gun the gas and break the tires loose? do you apply some break and if so do you need some kind of heel-toe technique? would a line lock be helpful? any details would be great please.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a special button in the glove box that gives the Viper extra HP and torque to perform this feat. Start the car, hit the button and stomp the gas. If this button isn't pushed, your Viper will not get enough power to spin the tires..
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Good Luck
Gerald

Reaction score
Everyones driving technique is different. If on street tires I launch the car around 3000 and feather the gas while feeling for traction, once the car hooks go WOT. If on slicks dump the clutch at 4500 and hold on. The first time at the track my first pass was a 12.70, by the end of the night I was running 12.20.
You will get the hang of it. Just practice.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '96 still has the original rubber on all four corners. I've never had 5 year old tires on any car I've owned. And since rubber degrades over time I have been doing my best to wear it out. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

I love the sound, sight, smell of spinning tires. But there is no place for this kind of fun on a track where it just wastes time...

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ah, Gerald...Some things about the car are to be left within the inner Viper circle.

Guess the button is working

Buy Tom's (BTR) Drag RAce Video for the tips.....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
There is a special button in the glove box that gives the Viper extra HP and torque to perform this feat. Start the car, hit the button and stomp the gas. If this button isn't pushed, your Viper will not get enough power to spin the tires..
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
Good LuckGerald
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Albert - Love the 5 points you made and the liberal use of the word idiot; quite valid. Thanks for the laugh!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon Albert, Joe. We're just havin' a little fun smokin' the tires once in a while. Just another display of the mega power the Viper has.
smile.gif

Besides, I don't care what anyone says - it's cool.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bill, not my car but I think it's from Autoform
You must be registered for see images

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Trinity:
Marv, What spoiler is on that Viper?Thanks!Bill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dmora

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you guys serious? Some of yall dont know what light em up or whatever means? and you dont know how to smoke your tires? I thought yall had the highest HP per US mass production vehicle made. It should be as simple as that button in the glove box
cool.gif

I agree that it is rather ******** and a fantastic waste of expensive rubber.... BUT
heres how you do it.

1.Depress the clutch.
2.Drop into 1st
3.Rev up to about 3000rpm and hold it.
4.Ease out the clutch till you hear the squeal...
5.Release the clutch but sit on the gas then keep it floored.
Make sure you have both hands on the wheel at this point since the car may get sideways VERY FAST. If you do not release the clutch fast enough, the smoke you see billowing out from under the car will be from melted clutch and not melted tires.

This will cause the tires infinately spin until you get some form of traction. Usually it will ease on out from this point as traction increases.
Now if you want to prevent that, rolling off the line, then you will have to do some fancy footwork. Go back to step 1.
1B. Depress the clutch with your left foot, and the brake with your right.
--- Heres where we heal/toe heal/toe heal/toe--- (race bable)
2B. With your feet on the clutch and brake apply the gas pedal. To do this, have your right foot's big toe on the brake, and the rest of that foot on the gas.
3B. Rev up to 2500rpm, and then let the clutch out slowly and give it more gas all while keeping your foot on the brake... you may need to apply a little more brake slowly as to not inch forward.
4B. Once the clutch is out and your spinning your tires, use your left foot for the brake, and the right foot for full throtle.
by now you should be engulfed in a homemade cloud of vaporized BFGoodrich.

Happy smoking!

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald, this is a serious topic and if you are only going to give half a$$ advice, why even give any advice at all.

We all know you don't need to push the button in the glove box, if you just jam a toothpick in the side next to the button and hold it there with a piece of tape. This way the button is always on.

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good advice so far, here's my 2 cents. I've done dozens of street burnouts, is it smart, no, it's ******* the car, a bit dangerous if you're stupid about, you can get a ticket, etc. But, I've done them in my Mustangs, viper, motorcycles, even in my BMW 540i 6 speed, I guess I'm dumb enough to do it, smart enough to be safe as I can, & can afford the rubber. Here's the simple way I do it:

in first gear - rev it to about 3K rpm - drop the clutch fast to get the tires spinning smoothly (you don't want a slower spin or to start them softly, this can cause axle hop, very ******* the car) - put your left foot on the brake @ about 50% pressure - balance braking and accelerator to get a solid 4K rpm spin while holding the front wheels locked - sit & spin as long as you dare to. This the same technique I use on the street & track.

Also, FWIW, on street tires at the track I never do the above - only on racing tires. Street tires I just do a hard peel out forward, like the above but don't use the brake - just to clean off the tires & warm them a bit. Sitting burnouts don't do much at all for street tires traction, on street tires a burnout is more for show than go.

I hope that helps, I'm no pro driver (disclaimer), just one of the fools who enjoys doing a burnout now & again.

PS, I hope I don't sound like an a$$ doing burnouts, it seems people are pretty negative about burnouts here, maybe it's just the safety thing, but I do them not to show-off but because I & people love to see 'em, and I'm as careful as possible - for ex., I think a controlled burnout is safer than a cruise through a neighborhood at 50mph in a minivan where kids play, just be safe whatever you do. Just "think before you do", advice my Dad gave that's probably saved my life a few times.

Dave.
smile.gif

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always thought they were asking for matches to light up a crack pipe or something. Hmmm. Learn somethin' new every day. As for that button, I moved mine to the top of the shifter.

Babble aside, if I have the time and nobody else in the car, I stop and talk to the kids. The best behaved (respectful, intelligent, obvisouly car nut) gets a ride in the snake. He always goes back to his homeys with the biggest grin. I never mention the shear terror displayed as the snake blew through his favorite valley.
Never say "catch me if you can" to his buddies- they could kill somebody trying.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry, given that you are asking the "how-to-spin-my-tires" question, I suggest you DO NOT try this at speed or at a track.

Go to a vacant lot and practise "donuts" first.

Same instructions as above, except turn the steering all the way to one side.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH CLEARANCE TO SPIN AROUND.

DSSX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That guy must be one COOL DUDE! Now thats how you drive a VIPER! For a small fee I can teach you too!. Anybody know where I can get some tires cheap.

Greg the artist for the picture above.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One cool dude? I won't touch that one.

That guys car is very weak, those clouds and tire marks were superimposed!

Heard he lost to a newer RX7!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good idea on practicing in a parking lot where it is safe (and where the parking lot owners won't mind). It looks something like this:

<center><FONT size="4">Turn the wheel, depress the gas, let the clutch out quickly:

Then stand back and admire your work:
</FONT s>

</center>

Just remember that with ANY car that can break the tires loose you are basically losing control of the back of the car. Some can predict the movement better than others. Those that haven't done this often may find their car pointed in places they DON'T want to go. Be very careful with even a straight-line burnout as it can get squirrelly on you in a hurry. Have fun and stay safe!

Chris