Light Flywheels : Worth doing? Why or Why Not? Whose to buy?

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the process of a motor swap and have a chance for a "free" flywheel install.. Should I go with a lighter flywheel?

Most of my driving is in and around the city.. lots of start and stop..

Who makes nice flywheels for the SRT? Any recommendations??

Thanks

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Light Flywheel serves Threefold in the Viper;

-Increase rev speed due to less rotational mass
-Increase overall accelleration due to weight reduction
-Increase smoothness of shifting due to less rotational mass having to be "slung" to the correct rev-matching speed.

I recomend the flywheel that DC performance has available. I have heard nothing but good things about it, as well as the multi-plate friction surfaces ability to resist warpage.

OP
OP
N

nevrenuf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any difference between buying a Fidanza from DC Performance or a Comp Coupe flywheel from Woodhouse??

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drag racing = stock flywheel

Road racing = light flywheel

At launch to heavier flywheel will help you get off the line with increased rotating mass. Well as roadracing it will rev up and decellerate faster, it depends on your poison. :2tu:

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the rps lite flywheel and b/f my srt was supercharged i notice a big differance. From a bad launch (bog) the car would recover like an animal almost like it was a perfect launch.

vd..

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I too have the RPS unit and it works quite well. Make sure your tech adds loctite to the pressure plate bolts when installing.

You will sacrifice some drive-ability in traffic with the lightweight unit, but you will gain speed quicker any time you are accelerating. Stopping / slowing is more controlable on the track and on the street.

Good luck,

Dan

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have Fidanza's in '96 and '03 Vipers and I think they are one of the best investments for a Viper. Much quicker revving thru the gears. Sometimes cruising in town at 25/35 mph in first or 2nd the car will start to buck, but shifting to 3rd cures that immediately every time.

eagles

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96