Lighthearted fun...which car gets the most looks, Gen II or III/IV?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess this mainly applies to people who have had both....which Gen Viper seemed to get the most looks? I plan to get a SRT Vert later this year, and while its aggressive in its own right, its not as over the top as the Gen IIs. Just curious to hear your experiences!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what no gen 1's? :dunno:

I'm sure I'll get many looks from people tomorrow morning when it's 45 degrees and I'm driving mine on the highway with no top on :headbang:

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I should have probably specified...but I had the GTS in mind when I said Gen II. Gen I's will certainly apply as well...but I'm talking about today's standards, not necessary back in the early 90s, because they were literally stopping traffic back then!

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd agree with the "gen3 Vipers looking like vettes comment", but I would still say that my 2008 SRT-10 gets more far more stares than my 1997 GTS.

But after all, the '08 is SSG in color with black stripes.....you know the color....."just give me the ticket already officer, green". And I thought the '97 was bad for drawing attention, but I've literally had 17 year old kids doing drive-by photo shoots at stop lights and gas stations with this thing! I'm sure this is no different than any other Viper owner's experiences though...just thought I'd share

All I can say is that if you like your privacy, stay away from SSG!!! Haha! :)

snakebite52

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i think theres two viper fans- the one LOVE gts's, the style the lines the curves and everything aobut them. while some people like the gen3/4's due to the performance and the looks, a different look then the gts. the gen 4 gets lots of attention and lots of stares. its a pretty different look. i prefer the look of the gen 4's more.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No question the Gen 1's and 2's are better looking shapes. Any Gen 3 & 4 owner that disagrees is simply wrong ;) (or jaded with their own purchase). 1's and 2's are definitively individualistic/exclusive shapes. 3's & 4's are just not.

However, having moved to a Gen 4, I must admit that, like myself, they (1's and 2's) are beginning to get a bit "post modern". That's not necessarily a negative comment. IMO they seem to be beginning that move towards...well...how I would describe the look of an XKE. Eternally gorgeous, exclusive and exotic, but nonetheless, now dated.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Denver Autoshow a few weekends ago, they had all the new cars. Corvette ZR1/2010 Shelby GT-500, New Challengers, New Camero, etc. etc. The largest crowd around a car was the lonely old 2008 VOI10 Viper, followed by the Dodge NEO concept car. They just dropped the Viper out of the way, like a "well we have to show it, but we are kind of embarrassed" feeling.

Both GEN1/GEN2 and GEN3/GEN4 have their following. I like them both for looks. Park them side by side and the GEN1/GEN2 does end up looking a lot more dated, which is weird in it's own right. The GEN3/GEN4 are much nicer to drive and live with, but there is just something about the original raw-ness and heart flutter cause by the GEN1/GEN2 the great thing is that original feeling NEVER goes away. I do have to say from the stir caused on the street and the way people react, the GEN4 ACR takes the cake. People see that big wing and they go stupid to try to see more.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I have to admit that both do seem to attract a huge amount of attention, and for different reasons.

Me and my Buddy John Bourg were cruising through Annapolis the other day and people mouths just hit the floor.

My favorite comment of the day was " Damn two Vipers in a row! You don't see that every day "

It's hard to say I think when both cars have the right stance and wheels they both KILL.

And lets get one major thing straight, Gen Vipers don't look like Vettes! Vette's look like Gen III Vipers we came out in 03 and GM copied the styling in what 05.

I think both styles resemble the times, the C5 Z06 is very curvey and smooth as well on a smaller scale then the Gen II and they, like the Gen I and II Vipers still look great today. The Gen III VIper and C6 Z06 (not coupe) look mean and edgy in their own right as well.

Just my opinion:2tu:

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting question. I may have some insight to share. We own a Gen 1, and 3. Both are white with blue strips. We drive each car about 3000 miles per year.

I have two views; mine, and the public's.

Personally I like the gen 1 look the most, but prefer the Gen 3 ride.

The public seems to like the Gen 3 more. In the past year I have noticed that more people seem to stare or comment more when we have the Gen 3 out.

The only problem with my comparison is that one car is an RT, and the other is a coupe. Guess I need to start working on the wife for a Gen 4 (w/b) or GTS/R

I would have to think the Gen 4 would top the Gen 3 for grabbing attention. The hood does make a difference, plus there are sever very hot colors to pick from.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel it also has a lot to do with the color you go with. Non-striped Vipers do not get nearly the attention that striped cars get. Non-striped ones (especially Gen 3/4) do look like Corvettes from a distance. I can see striped Vipers coming from a far distance, and sometimes I miss a non-striped car as it passes the other direction. Most people do not know the difference in generations, they ALL get a lot of attention. My Z06 is basically invisible compared to my Viper, not even in the same comparison league as far as head turning.

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely love the looks of the Gen 2 GTS. But have grown to love the SRT-C, especially the ACR. It's sex on wheels in my opinion!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Gen 3 dropped the rear Ducktail spoiler and awesome rear end of the GTS ... until the coupe came out in '06 (no 07s built). Then the GTS rear was back with a vengence!

Higher mph with the rear end of GTS/coupe/ACR.

Although I'm a Gen2 lover, I appluad the SRT engineers bring back the 4mpg GTS rear end. I really don't like the rear view of the roadsters - too round/Solstice/Mazda looking.

I think that the difference is the stripes, fastback, Ducktail spoiler, vented sides and 4mph more than the Generations.

Ted

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned a Gen 1,2 and 3 and I have to say that my 94 RT/10(red) and my 98 GTS(Silver/Blue stripes) got more attention than my 04 SRT-10 Mamba(White). I love them all, however, the SRT-10 is , by far , a better handling car all the way around.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One look is current, while the other is timeless. They will have Gen1/2's in museums in the future. The 08-09 ACR's will get a lot more looks for all of the aero stuff. Hate to say it, but the blandest Viper (and a bland Viper is better than most other cars out there) would be a gen3 vert stock.

Performance wise... gen4 tops them all!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I often have have both of my Pace cars, Blue/white GTS + 06 Blue white Coupe, parked at public track events alongside each other, or nose-to-tail.

The GTS gets far more "curb appeal" photos, looks, and comments from a casual observer. If they are CHOOSING which pace car to ride in, they usually ask "which is fastest" and depending on my ANSWER that's the chosen ride!

Park Doris' ACR next to them and they both become INVISIBLE.

PS when I gad a 96 GTS and a 01 ACR with a wing, the WINGED CARS had 10x curb appeal. Fact.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
over the weekend i parked the GTS on mainstreet at UofD and the viper had a wonderfull time with the fans.

As me and my friend were driving home a silver gen3 passed us going the other way. I said, Wooo another viper. My friend said o i thought it was a vette. He seriously thought it was a vette and said that he wouldnt have known unless i told him. (-true story)

With a Gen3/4 attention has much to do with the color.
If you have a solid red or silver one it realy blends in with the Vettes.
Now a SSG or a Black/Red, or many of the other combos look great.
But Remember, it is possibly not the beatifull body they are gawking at rather just the paint job...

o look a vette with a custom paint job!!!!(says the average joe)

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is some food for thought:

If I were to take a New Vette, Paint it the Sick ACR Black/Red scheme, add a wing, splitter, and some nice wheels.

See where im going with this?
It would be a Sick/Awesome car in the eye’s of the general population

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One of my best buddies here had a Gen1, and 2 x Gen 2.......he got a very early 2003 SRT10 back in the day, maybe the 3rd SRT10 in NW.

He was repeatedly annoyed that almost EVERY vette he encountered gave him their "corvette wave," that most vette owners do when they see another oncoming vette... Some times they would OOPS the wave and stop it in mid-greet....but usually not. When the SRT10 was new, it happened a lot. Now, vette owners have made the mistake enough that it happens a lot less....

He sold the SRT after 6 weeks !!!

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting info!

For me personally, I'm coming from a Vette...so the comparisons don't phase me at all. I still love the looks of a nicely modded Vette, but after driving a few Vipers, its just a little too refined for my liking out on the road.

I am 80% sure I am getting a SRT Vert, but the coupes look so damn ****, I am going to keep my eyes open for a deal when the time is right!

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found that my Copperhead gets a lot more attention than my GTS. Of coarse the GTS is solid black while the bright metallic burnt orange Copperhead says arrest me!!
I have also noticed that women like the Copperhead way more than the GTS, where men seem to like the GTS more.

So if the Copperhead is a chic magnet the GTS is a d$%k magnet, sounds bad but the truth is teenage boys seem to be the people that are into the GTS the most.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the Gen II GTS. Just as long as it's not YELLOW... :crazy2:

I get tons of looks and have heard "That looks like a race car" more times than I can count.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21