Limp-in mode?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the PCM has entered a Limp-in mode (identified a failed emission component) what exactly does it do? Does it change the A/F ratio?

I have something wrong with my air temp sensor that I am trying to figure out. I get a code 23 and my check engine light comes on and stays on once in awhile (until I shut the engine off). I read that if the light is on the engine is in Limp-in mode. Just wondering what that means because it doesn't appear to run any differently.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a '97:

Code 23 is "intake air temp sensor voltage low / high"

Basicly the voltage to that sensor is below or above the acceptable voltage. Yes, your check engine light will be illuminated during engine operation. But I don't think you will go into limp in mode (when MIL is on all the time).

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you start the engine with the IAT sensor unplugged? This will trip a fault code and illuminate the MIL. Sometimes, the light will clear after several key-on, key-off cycles, but the code will still be in memory.

When one of your sensors dies, the computer begins to take readings from others and interpolate a surrogate value based on long-term adaptive fuel strategy block values stored in the PCM.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear a ground up ****** tablet in the gas tank works good to combat the limp-in mode. Should also add about 50 hp.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
devil.gif