Lingenfelter Engine Packages

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's

L I N G E N F E L T E R

I see Ligenfelter, Lingenfeler, Ligenfeler, and now Lingenfeller. I feel bad for the guy - his name commands respect and power in the car world, but nobody can seem to say/spell it right.

Sorry Lowcrawler, not meaning to come down on you, but it's a pet peeve of mine... along with "Venon" Vipers and "Cameros".

Reaction score
There are several Viper tuner choices. I would expect that most are pretty good. What is important when picking a vendor? Location? Engine Application(sprint or endurance road racing; drag racing, track and street use, sound)? My question is why would you select L I N G E N F E L T E R a GM Tuner? Viper has a fantastic race record in the FIA series, 24 of Le Mans, ALMS. These race series represent the highest level of sports car racing. ORECA has most of the wins from 97 on. Who builds the ORECA engines? Caldwell Dev. Inc. CDI engines are the ones that finish ahead of the best!
You must be registered for see images

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their sure are a lot of ways to match the Car and Drive performance for alot less than $34 Grand. Can't believe anybody would pay that kind of $$.

Mamba man steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hull, Ma. summer /Delray Beach Fl. winter
Mr. Lingenfelter has a high over head and you have to help pay for it. I use one of his cams (most F.I. CAMS) where developed from his work with G. M. also the F. I. He has spent a lot of time developing the crank, rods, pistons, etc. that go into the venom engine. If it were not for NOS we all would have to spend the big bucks. My hat is off to Lingenfelter, Hennessey, and the other people who spend thier bucks to make a product. I have missed only a hundred or two names from drag racing.

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lowcrawler W:
Why not pay the extra 6 grand and get the
$38k 540 cid package vs. the $32k 510 cid package .

I would think a person willing to spend 32 grand to get there viper and extra 130 hp over stock would be willing to pay an extra 6 grand to make it 275 hp over stock. What am I missing here?

JOE

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>510ci vs. 540ci Which is better?

It all depends at the way you look at it. Of course we all have heard the phrase... "There is no replacement for displacement." And there is good merit to that common perception. But to compare the two by analogizing the cost comparison scenarios are quite different.

Both are very good engine combinations and the tuners most admirable, but the two will offer different results for your racing applications. In short, torque band, horsepower desire, drive train predictability (handling characteristics), temperament & street ability, and the list continues.

And last but certainly not least, there are other ways to make a stock 488 inch Viper motor make just as much power by thinking it's a 540 inch motor. But, I don't want to bore you with the art of SUPERCHARGING

Best wishes for the holidays,
Doug Levin

Reaction score
What does Daytona and Le Mans have to due with it? It is called a long history of reliability.

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JEFF,THANKS FOR THE INVITE GOOD BUDDY!THE HEARING AID WONT HELP. I HAVE PERMANET HEARING AND BRAIN DAMAGE LOSS FROM STANDING TOO CLOSE TO VEHICLES WHEN MAKING DYNO RUNS.HOWEVER I WILL BE MORE THEN HAPPY TO ACCEPT ANY CASH DONATIONS FOR A FRONTAL LABOTOMY OPERRATION.LOL....BEST REGARDS! NORM KOERNER

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK FRED I SEE U STILL HAVE QUESTIONS AND NO ANSWERS.U BROUGHT UP LEMANS AND AND ORCEA.I POINTED OUT THAT MOST VIPER OWNERS WHO UP GRADE THIER SNAKES WITH AFTER MARKET PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENTS ARE NOT LOOKING TO SPEND MONEY ON ORECA ENGINES,HOWEVER THERE ARE A FEW OUT THERE.WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR AND ONE POINT U AND I BOTH AGREE ON IS CALLED A HISTORY OF OF RELIABILTY.WELL FRED GOOD BUDDY U DONT HAVE TO LOOK VERY FAR.LINGENFELTER PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING IS ALL ABOUT A HISTORY OF DEPENDABILITY THATS WHAT THEY HAVE BUILT THIER REPUTATION ON........................... PERFORMANCE AND RELIABILITY!WE ARE AGAIN TALKING ABOUT AFTER MARKET TUNERS AND ENGINE REBUILDERS OR AM I STILL MISSING YOUR POINT?BEST REGARDS! NORM KOERNER

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, since its the holidays and I am feeling generous, let's all chip in and get Norm one of those expensive keyboards that have both UPPER and lowercase letters. I know after getting the "R", money could be tight
, so maybe this will help.

Here's my $1 pledge. Anyone else???

Seriously, please try to type in both upper and lower case. It is quite hard to read all upper case, not to mention the netiquette issues... Thanks.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Norm doesn't use a keyboard at all. He uses a voice-recognition software program. You should be there when he's posting something. __

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on November 30, 2000 at 15:34</font>

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Norm just mashed the keyboard with his palm until the letters on the screen remotely resembled something he was trying to say? I could be wrong
(just kidding Norm).

Fred, I think Caldwell would be a good place to take your snake to get the motor build.. do they do street motors? What sort of power are they making from the Viper V10 for street applications? As for why someone would go with LPE, they are probably THE most respected tuner out there, IMO. John's packages are virtually indestructible, and he sells quality and he backs it up with great support of his product. I'd prefer to go with Lingenfelter than most of the "Viper Tuners" because I've dealt with LPE before, and I know I'd get what I wanted. There are a few good Viper tuners - and people like Doug Levin and TNT really stand out, but I'd say LPE is right up there with these guys in terms of reputation.

As for the original question, I don't know why you would "only" get the 510cid motor when the 540 isn't too much more. I do, however, have some experience dealing with Lingenfelter, and I have a friend who has a lot of experience with him. As Doug Levin said, bigger isn't always better. Maybe the 540 package is louder, harder to drive and overall less streetable? Maybe it's not as reliable, since he's pushing the engine a bit more? Maybe it doesn't come with as long a warranty? I can tell you that if you call up Lingenfelter and say "I want your 540 package" they will talk to you for a while before telling you to send the car over. They will want to discuss your options, and make sure you know what you're getting into and that you're makin the best choice before you buy.

Reaction score
No Flames only facts! LINGENFELTER did NOT build a Viper engine form his knowledge only! Who did LINGENFELTER call for info on building a Viper V10? Caldwell! And Caldwell is not as expensive as many of the tuners! On Sunday Dec 3, 00 the S.CA. Club will see a nice street package in the process of final street tuning. Dan Cragin and Caldwell are sharing info for a nice package. As I said in my first post there are many reasons to select a Viper Tuner. And there are many Good Viper Tuners to select. Many of them support this site and promote their wares. Caldwell is primary business is building Race engines once example is Dodge endurance racing (24 hours of Le Mans) But they do build engines for customers who want the knowledge of Caldwell Viper V10 history in a street car (not street legal). And I am not talking about the 10 throttle body ORECA engine. A Viper engine with good air and fuel flow (extrude honed manifold, port matched to the heads; heads ported and polished, etc.) using the stock throttle bodies and crank (488cubic inches)
=600 to 630HP+/600ftlbs+.

EuG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>they claim the 540 package give roughly 725 hp, whereas the 510 package gives 580 hp.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should read more carefully.

510ci gives you 580RWHP, where 540ci gives you 725 Estimated Crank HP
If you use 15% loss, that’s ~ 616RWHP
(I know you guys sometimes you 12% loss, it would be 638RWHP then…) Not sure which one the correct one to use for Viper

I hope it makes a bit more sense now…

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MR.FRED KINDER,INTERESTING POINT OF PERSPECTIVE U PRESENT.THE REASON A PERSON WOULD PICK LINGENFELTER,HENNESSY,SEAN ROE RACING,TNT,DOUG LEVIN SUPERCHARGED VIPERS,BTR TOM,OR ANY OTHER AFTER MARKET TUNERS OR SUPPLIERS IS THE PERFORMANCE THEY PROVIDE TO THE VIPER COMMUNITY WHICH THE MAJORITY OF MEMBERS ARE NOT GOING TO ENTER THE ROLEX DAYTONA OR LEMANS NEXT YEAR.IN OTHER WORDS WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR ORECA ENGINES.WE ARE LOOKING FOR AFTER MARKET PERFORMANCE OPTIONS BASED ON HORSEPOWER,PRICING,DEPENDABILITY AND APPLICATION.I HOPE THIS CLEARS UP ANY CONFUSION AS TO THE QUESTION WHY.NOW I HAVE A COUPLE QUESTIONS FOR U. HAVE U HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO FOR A SPIN IN LINGENFELTER,HENNESSY,TNT,OR ANY OF THE OTHER GREAT AFTER MARKET TUNERS MODIFIED VIPERS?ITS NOT ABOUT BRAND NAME RECOGNITION I.E.DODGE,GM,FORD,ETC.ITS ALL ABOUT AFTER MARKET ENGINE TUNING.WHY WOULDNT LINGENFELTER BUILD A GREAT SNAKE HE BEEN TUNING AND BULDING ENGINES ALL HIS LIFE?BEST REGARDS! NORM KOERNER

Reaction score
Well said Norm! By the way, I want to switch cars with you just for one race, or get you to ride with me at the next TWS race. Would that be OK?

PS: Guys, I'm taking up a hearing aid collection for Norm SO HE WON"T HAVE TO YELL AT US ALL THE TIME! But, in my car, that may be an advantage....I wouldn't hear him otherwise!

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELL FRED THERE U HAVE IT........ CASE CLOSED!HEY I GOT ONE FOR YOU...... COLUMBUS REALLY DIDNT DISCOVER AMERICA IT WAS LEIF ERICKSON.WHAT DO U THINK?BEST REGARDS! NORM KOERNER

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala