'Long' vs 'Short' oil filters

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'Long\' vs \'Short\' oil filters

Recently, I decided to take my '70 340 Duster out of mothballs. While working under the car, I noticed the right angle oil filter adapter and the long (Purolator PER 1A) filter I last mounted. It got me to thinking, could I mount a 'long' oil filter (say a Mobil 1 M1-301) instead of the short one (M1-204) on my Viper? Anyone try this? Will it fit? (*Looks* like it should.) I would think that other than perhaps an additional half-quart of oil, it would be a good thing all around.

-viperrwk

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'Long\' vs \'Short\' oil filters

viperrwk,
Long oil filters only fit on Gen1 motors. I use the Mopar Race filter [P4529190] on my 94 and it just fits! We tried to put one on a Gen2 motor, no go.

OP
OP
V

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chuck -
Thanks for that. Since mine is a Gen I, not a problem. And I assume you've had no problems with clearance as the engine torques around within the motor mounts.

Of course, it then begs the question, will the old right angle filter adapter allow Gen II owners to put the long filter on?

-viperrwk

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

viperrwk,
No problem with the torque.
BURNOUT.gif

I don't know about the adapter if it would work on Gen2's?

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

WHY???? Oil filters have one purpose...removing contaminates. Like most (i.e.99%) Viper owners, you probably have 50% of the capabilities of your normal filter left when you change it and pitch it. No purpose, I wouldn't screw with it.

OP
OP
V

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

tzoid -
If the filter were more expensive or there was something significantly different in the design of a long vs short filter which didn't make the long filter as efficient, then I'd agree with you. However, in the case of the Mobil 1, there's no difference in price between the M1-204 and M1-301 (Autozone, $11.99) and I assume (this is where I go out on a ledge) that internally, the only difference is the greater surface area of filter material, and since it fits in my application, then why wouldn't I go with the bigger filter? I would think that it would be even less likely to block and bypass than the smaller filter.

-viperrwk

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viperrwk....I hate to sound old fashion, but there is some logic to the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" type conclusion. Can't argue with your comment that more filter media must be better. I will say, though, that DMC engineers spend alot of time and money designing these engines and the lubrication requirements. If they needed or wanted a bigger filter, it would be there. I'd be willing to bet that they have never experienced a true warranty type failure where the lack of filter media caused a contamination type failure. As for bypass, do these engines have a bypass valve to bypass the filter when there is a blockage problem or on cold starts? I know that this is engineered into many large block, high horsepower diesel applications (large heavy equipment, i.e. Caterpillar type engines), but didn't think it existed in "street" engines. Don't mean to sound ignorant, but I think your worrying about nothing. But, to each his own....

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whay are you using a Mobil One filter anyways? I have seen many problems with guys using those filters at the race track. Most over the counter filters are junk. I had was having oil pressure problems on one of my race cars a few years ago. It was a porsche & by I was using a factory filter that was made by purolator. It just so happened that one of my customers was a Purolator factory rep. I was mentioning my oil pressure issues with him & he said to change the filter, stating that any over the counter filter was NOT fit for real high performance work. To make a long story short, I picked up almost 1 bar/15 psi more oil pressure using a racing filter at the end of my run. Ever since i have been running the Fram Racing filters in all my HP cars & boats with excellent results. There are many diffences in the construction of a racing filter burst strength & the packing of the filter medium just to name a few. 2 of my cars run over 85 psi when cold & having a filter that can take a hammer blow without denting is cheap insurance. I think any REAL racing filter is the only way to go.

OP
OP
V

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wild Dude -
The latest on the oil filter study can be found here -
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters.html

It does back up the Fram quality issues, especially the email from the Allied Signal engineer that worked on the Fram production line.

However, this doesn't also condemn the Fram racing filter and that *may* be made to different standards and a different production line. Or it may not. Without someone taking one apart and reporting on it, or someone who works/worked at Allied Signal telling us, we don't know.

Tzoid - I hear what you're saying about 'ain't broke, don't fix it' and that's fine. Unfortunately, I'm a natural tinkerer - sometimes it gets me in trouble but that's why I come here, mostly reading posts so that I don't get into trouble tinkering with something I shouldn't.

And Chuck, any guesses as to who makes the Mopar race filter?

-viperrwk

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey viperrwk,
Thanks for the updated study. My only comment is that given the makeup of the rest of the fram line of filters, I would not trust the race version without cutting it open. Besides, the object here is to keep the oil as clean as possible for as long as possible, or 3000 miles, which ever comes first.
laugh.gif
bounce.gif
laugh.gif

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang