Looking for a Gen IV, quick questions...

s.hasan546

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all id like to thank you guys for having a pretty awesome board here.

So anyways im looking for a Gen IV. I had a few questions.

My upper limit is $70k

1. is there any checklist for what i should look for in used Gen IVs? Like the GTS checklists ive seen on this board?

2. what should i expect in price? i know that is a very hard question but im looking for a '08 my. Vert preferred (harder to find it seems). & Would prefer stripes.
I see cars in a huge range from $54k-$75k... Is it worth $5-$10k to buy from a dealer that has a low mileage viper (3-5k miles)?

Also take into consideration i would drive the car a decent amount. More than the average that i see on the cars being sold. I would drive the car around 5-10k miles. Seems like Vieprs really depreciate after 10k and 20k miles. Is it better to buy me a higher mileage viper since ill drive it a decent amount?

3. How much do extended warranties costs normally for 08s still under warranty?

4. One thing i am worried about is accidents. Now ive heard the hood costs $18k? My biggest worry is someone backing hitting me in the front of the car even at low speeds. Would ins. total the car for something like that? Lets say no frame damage but fender, headlight, and hood damage?

5. would most sellers allow a PPI? Who pays for that?

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am unaware of a checklist specific to 2008 or Gen IV Vipers. Just the standard items like tires, brakes depending upon mileage of the car. Extended warranties are between 1 and 2 K depending upon year of car and amount of deductible. Regarding accidents, get insurance to cover the purchase price of the car. If it were totaled you would be reimbursed for the replacement cost of the car. I think a PPI is not only a good idea but think it mandatory. Normally the cost is borne by the purchaser. However, you very likely could ask a knowledgable VCA member local to the car to take a look at it for you which could save you time and money.
Good luck in your search.
PAVenomRT/10
2009 ACR

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I answered your question in the quote below. Hope it helps.

First of all id like to thank you guys for having a pretty awesome board here.

So anyways im looking for a Gen IV. I had a few questions.

My upper limit is $70k

1. is there any checklist for what i should look for in used Gen IVs? Like the GTS checklists ive seen on this board? Ive never seen a Gen4 check list but I could be wrong

2. what should i expect in price? i know that is a very hard question but im looking for a '08 my. Vert preferred (harder to find it seems). & Would prefer stripes.
I see cars in a huge range from $54k-$75k... Is it worth $5-$10k to buy from a dealer that has a low mileage viper (3-5k miles)? There were 712 verts and
867 coupes so verts are a tad rarer and even more rare with stripes. If you find a clean title no history 08 with under 50k miles for $54k you better buy it quick, I have seen two 08s sell for low 50's with rebuilt titles. The average range for 08 seems to be between $62k-$70k and the verts are the cheaper ones in that group. I would rather give 5-10k more to buy from the original owner than buying used from a dealer who has no clue about the cars true history and every salesman has taken her out for a test drive.

Also take into consideration i would drive the car a decent amount. More than the average that i see on the cars being sold. I would drive the car around 5-10k miles. Seems like Vieprs really depreciate after 10k and 20k miles. Is it better to buy me a higher mileage viper since ill drive it a decent amount? I also drive my Viper 5-10k miles a year and yes it will hurt the value some but the joy of driving is more than worth the loss

3. How much do extended warranties costs normally for 08s still under warranty? There seem to be different prices between dealers when it comes to extended warranties so you'll want to contact your local dealer to find a rock solid price

4. One thing i am worried about is accidents. Now ive heard the hood costs $18k? My biggest worry is someone backing hitting me in the front of the car even at low speeds. Would ins. total the car for something like that? Lets say no frame damage but fender, headlight, and hood damage? The Gen1 and 2 cars had the $12k hood but the gen3 and 4 hoods are like $2k its the side panels on a gen3 and 4 you dont want to damage them they sell for around $5-6k each side.

5. would most sellers allow a PPI? Who pays for that?Yep most that dont have anything to hide will be glad to have a full inspection done on their car at your expense of course. I sold my rebuilt title 04 to a fellow forum member 2 years ago and was more than happy to take it to the local dodge dealer for a full inspection but I knew my car wa repaired perfect and was not trying to hide anything. Of course she passed with flying colors and the buyer was tickled pink. But you are making the best decision going with a Gen4 when I was driving my 04 and 06 I always heard thet the 08-up was so much better to drive but I never really believed the hype till I actually bought my 08. There really is a difference in the ride and drive and well worth the money difference IMO. Best of luck on your search if I didnt love my Smurf blue coupe so much Id hook you up!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

s.hasan546

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding accidents, get insurance to cover the purchase price of the car. If it were totaled you would be reimbursed for the replacement cost of the car.

What insurance companies would have this? i just called my ins. company (geico) and they don't do it.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about the hood costs. The expensive ones are the Gen I and II. The Gen III and IV hoods are not anywhere that expensive.

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just missed out on Cop Magnets 2009 ACR (classifieds) with a 7 year warranty- for $70K-
That is the type of deal you need to find - if i could of scrambled together
the coin I would of bought it in a heartbeat..Sold on Ebay for $70K.....

OP
OP
S

s.hasan546

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just missed out on Cop Magnets 2009 ACR (classifieds) with a 7 year warranty- for $70K-
That is the type of deal you need to find - if i could of scrambled together
the coin I would of bought it in a heartbeat..Sold on Ebay for $70K.....

Yeah i know :( i just saw that like 2 days ago. Great deal! But an ACR might not be ideal for me anyway and i would love to find a vert.

Also do you guys think itd be better to wait to purchase in the winter? Would prices drop decently? Only about 1 1/2 months left of driving anyway. won't drive much from dec.-feb. Ill be gone on business nov. anyways too.

Last edited:

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as a PPI- If you are not local to the car you are interested in
- you can hire someone locally for under $200 to do a PPI for you-
and send you the results- You of course pay for the PPI- or have the owner take the car to
a local dealer for you and you arrange for a PPI there- and pay for it...

Do this before you fly out to look at a car -etc...

Listen, if you do a PPI and shell out $200 for it- and it makes you NOT buy the car is the best money
you ever spent.....

If you do a few PPI's, a couple of flights, a couple of 5 hour drives, etc. before you find the right car
at the right price for you it is money and time well spent. I mention the out of state because my
last 4 car and bike purchases ended up out of state....would like to buy local, but you limit yourself
to selection and price, especially a low production car like the Viper.

A dealer in Temecula - Ca- had a blue 2008 coupe up for asking price of $65K, with $7K worth of rims
I think it could be had for low 60's....

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What insurance companies would have this? i just called my ins. company (geico) and they don't do it.

This is known as an 'Agreed Value' insurance policy. These types of policies usually have requirements, like not a daily driver, used for club events, shows, and cruising only, when not in use locked in a garage, all insured drivers must be over 25, some have milage restrictions, etc. There are a handfull of companies that offer this type of policy, I believe Grundy is the most popular?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2. Also take into consideration i would drive the car a decent amount. More than the average that i see on the cars being sold. I would drive the car around 5-10k miles. Seems like Vieprs really depreciate after 10k and 20k miles. Is it better to buy me a higher mileage viper since ill drive it a decent amount?

I generally drive 7k a year. No doubt it would make a difference in a resale, but frankly I would never think of a contemporary production car as an "investment". The value should be in your use. Think about it. Choose between having a 2008 with 2k miles vs. a 2008 with 75k in 2020. You'd likely have a Viper valued at $150k (2020 dollars) that you spent 9 years polishing every Sunday in your garage ... OR ... you'd have a Viper worth $25k (2020 dollars) that you drove to your heart's content. :dunno:

Figure about $2k (+ $100) for a $50 deductable policy that will take you out to 7 years and 50k miles.

Best of luck!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always cheaper to wait. As the cars get older they bring less money. Problem with this strategy is that you never get a car. Always waiting for cheaper.

As with most exotics it is better to pay a bit more for an excellent example than to go cheap and end up with problems.

Everyone is looking for the absolute best deal, but that often ends up with you not getting the model and color you really want.

A better idea for most Viper buyers is to determine, as close as you can, which Viper would make you the most proud to drive, then look for the best available price for that specific car. It is more important to wait for the right car, than to wait for the right price.

A higher mileage vehicle is usually cheaper, and if you intend to drive your car a lot, it would be the best deal for you.

Best of success in finding the right Viper for you.

Then join the VCA. Nothing is more rewarding for a new Viper owner to be able to attend events with others of the ViperNation.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lots of good answers above to all your questions...... Be patient, and if you find a car you could even reach out HERE, [Owner, Member, Regional Club, or vendor ] to see if someone could make an inspection / look-see for you. That kind of camaraderie happens here all the time.

Good luck in your quest......

ps: If you find another ACR for $70k and PASS while looking for a $70k convertible, you are making a huge mistake......

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn well im 22 so i guess that won't work.

I envy you----22 and can afford a gen-4- good for you, I hope you find the one for you
and enjoy to your hearts content....My first "nice" car was @ 36 and it was a new 93 RX-7 Turbo
- after the house, retirement savings, Harley, etc.

I just bought a 97 GTS for half of what you are spending- and had to think a while about that one.
Cash buy--so note- I hope that you have all the other things in life taken care of, home, savings,
retirement - bills paid- etc. before you plunk down that kind of coin-

Not on your butt or anything-or playing papa to you....I just think that there are other things to have in
order before the nice cars....IMHO

OP
OP
S

s.hasan546

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I envy you----22 and can afford a gen-4- good for you, I hope you find the one for you
and enjoy to your hearts content....My first "nice" car was @ 36 and it was a new 93 RX-7 Turbo
- after the house, retirement savings, Harley, etc.

I just bought a 97 GTS for half of what you are spending- and had to think a while about that one.
Cash buy--so note- I hope that you have all the other things in life taken care of, home, savings,
retirement - bills paid- etc. before you plunk down that kind of coin-

Not on your butt or anything-or playing papa to you....I just think that there are other things to have in
order before the nice cars....IMHO

Thanks. Im actually very happy by the reception on this board. Many people on other boards get jealous/pissed from me being so young. They think my dad pays for everything :rolleyes:

Just some background.

Im 22. started as a mortgage broker at 16 (during the golden days). Opened my first business around 19. Own 2 of my own businesses currently. Already have roughly 12 months of savings for "just in case" situations.
The Viper/any car purchase is not a priority for me. Im looking for more businesses to purchase. thats why my budget is about $65k. Thats what i could comfortably spend while still having excess cash for my business; etc.

$0 debt. No house though. But i didn't/won't purchase a house since fortunately I'm being left a house in the next couple of years from my parents who will be moving back to their home country. But i travel extensively for work. So my cars stay at my parents house and i have a rent controlled apartment in Manhattan, New York.

Have a H3, GTI, and S2000. Selling the s2000 since no need for 2 verts.

Also im not a crazy driver. I use to be bad (can you blame me? i was 18). Nowadays its just nice to go for a cruise after work lol. S2000 use to be supercharged at 400 hp. No accidents; etc on my record. Honestly i can't imagine driving like some ***** out there. I love my cars too much for them to get damaged.

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is re assuring to see young people have their act together like you seem to have...
You sound very responsible, more than I was at that age..LOL...and have a great future ahead
of you-

Enjoy that Viper when you get it--I see why you want a vert. They are fun ----hope you find one soon !

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I purchased my extended warranty less than 2 months prior to when the factory warranty was going to expire. I paid $1,814 for 7years/60,000miles no deductible. With $250 deductible I think the cost would have gone down to under $1500. Very affordable IMHO.

-Make sure you get a genuine OEM warranty!
-The prices are negotiable. Some dealers are going to ask more than others. Look around!
-It's still possible to purchase the warranty when the car is into its 4th year, so don't dismiss the idea of an extended warranty just because you happened to pass the 3-year mile stone.

Last edited:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Im 22. started as a mortgage broker at 16 (during the golden days)

What state do you live in?. And have you lived there for the last 6 yrs.?

Um ya, I just looked up the Mortgage licensing requirements for New York and the minimum age is 18 yrs old. Plus, a notarized statement containing all experience that qualifies them to be licensed, and a credit check. So please carry on and tell us more about your three cars and whatnot.

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Um ya, I just looked up the Mortgage licensing requirements for New York and the minimum age is 18 yrs old. Plus, a notarized statement containing all experience that qualifies them to be licensed, and a credit check. So please carry on and tell us more about your three cars and whatnot.

DAYYYUUMMMMM!!!LOL Well lets just see if he finds a Viper soon there should be a few verts out there for his Price range so shouldnt take more than 2 weeks to buy one. I love these "Looking for a Viper" threads:lmao:

OP
OP
S

s.hasan546

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have nothing to prove so thanks. I never said i was a licensed broker. If you knew anything about it you would know many people worked under big brokers that handled the official paperwork.

OP
OP
S

s.hasan546

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DAYYYUUMMMMM!!!LOL Well lets just see if he finds a Viper soon there should be a few verts out there for his Price range so shouldnt take more than 2 weeks to buy one. I love these "Looking for a Viper" threads:lmao:

The problem I'm finding is actually finding a Vert that isn't venom red. The only cars that I'm finding have the "stripe delete" option like it's a perk. I love the stripes and would want that.

If not there is a gorgeous SSG Coupe in the classifieds that i would love to buy if i can't find a vert within the next few weeks.

I found 1 vert red w/ white stripes but they wanted $69,500 for it.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can always make me an offer. Contact Eddie Martin, who is the viper tech for Bill Luke Dodge in Phoenix and ask him about my car. He will give you an idea how I maintain my cars. Bob

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score

the reqs all changed over the last couple of years after the crash. not sure what they were b4 they changed everything, but i would not be surprised if he was doing what he said he was doing.
otherwise who really cares anyway? wouldnt be the first time someone may lie abt what they do. you hear it in bars all the time.
:)

OP
OP
S

s.hasan546

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always cheaper to wait. As the cars get older they bring less money. Problem with this strategy is that you never get a car. Always waiting for cheaper.

As with most exotics it is better to pay a bit more for an excellent example than to go cheap and end up with problems.

A better idea for most Viper buyers is to determine, as close as you can, which Viper would make you the most proud to drive, then look for the best available price for that specific car. It is more important to wait for the right car, than to wait for the right price.

A higher mileage vehicle is usually cheaper, and if you intend to drive your car a lot, it would be the best deal for you.

Best of success in finding the right Viper for you.

Then join the VCA. Nothing is more rewarding for a new Viper owner to be able to attend events with others of the ViperNation.

Only reason i suggested waiting is b.c oct. 31- nov. 25th-ish im away on business. Than Dec.-feb are horrible for driving here in NY :(...

Im less worried about price as i care more about the car being vert, right color, and have stripes. High miles don't bother me since ill at least drive 5k miles/year.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go. The black car is by far the best deal for a fully modded Gen 4.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=b&num_records=100&cardist=669&standard=false

And the red car is just beautiful and in your price range too.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=b&num_records=100&cardist=898&standard=false

These are two cars that arent Venom red and have stripes and under you target price. One is $7k under so hurry up and buy one and post pics when you get it to let us all know you really were looking "to buy" a Gen 4

OP
OP
S

s.hasan546

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys is $71k for an 08 ACR w/ 18k miles a good price?

Is the ACR going to be too much for me?

Mainly just using this as a weekend car and nights when i get off work early. Probably 4-5k miles/year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235