Looking for AEM serial cable 35-3001

Viperchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered one from AEM, but it won't be here for 5 business days. Anybody know where I can get one sooner? Need to log some pulls this weekend and don't want to wait. Thanks.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go to best buy and get one that is serial to USB. If you have a newer laptop you won't be able to use that cable from AEM. Think its $40 from best buy.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to best buy and get one that is serial to USB. If you have a newer laptop you won't be able to use that cable from AEM. Think its $40 from best buy.

It needs a OBD2 connector on one end....but that would be a start. AEM's is or was a cheap pos.

Chad, quick search and probably a much better piece:
OBD2 Connector Auto- Carplugs

$8.00 shipped

It's the orange one, actually called the "male" because the pins are male even though the connector housing goes over the one on the car. The AEM only uses three pins too.

EDIT:
Just looking some more. The orange doesn't have a shell....I guess that's the tail piece. This one is $22.00 shipped: J1962M OBDii Connector- Carplugs

Well, look at the cables too. I'm trying to figure out if one might be a serial. Even if not, it might be as cheap and easier to buy a cable and just change one end.
Wouldn't this be it ? OBD2 Cables obdii - Carplugs or OBD2 Cable OBDii - Car Plug

With the cable either the wires or pins need to be cut/removed so as not to damage the laptop.

Last edited:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad,

You can get a normal serial cable cut off the end put some individual connectors on it. you will need to attach them individually to obd2 and make sure its on the right pin, but it will work just fine. Call AEM tech they will be able to tell you how to do it.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new one i just got from AEM via DC Performance is 100 times better than the crap that came with the unit...

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It needs a OBD2 connector on one end....but that would be a start. AEM's is or was a cheap pos.

Chad, quick search and probably a much better piece:
OBD2 Connector Auto- Carplugs

$8.00 shipped

It's the orange one, actually called the "male" because the pins are male even though the connector housing goes over the one on the car. The AEM only uses three pins too.

EDIT:
Just looking some more. The orange doesn't have a shell....I guess that's the tail piece. This one is $22.00 shipped: J1962M OBDii Connector- Carplugs

Well, look at the cables too. I'm trying to figure out if one might be a serial. Even if not, it might be as cheap and easier to buy a cable and just change one end.
Wouldn't this be it ? OBD2 Cables obdii - Carplugs or OBD2 Cable OBDii - Car Plug

With the cable either the wires or pins need to be cut/removed so as not to damage the laptop.

Well as for the part # he asked, its just a simple cable. I never put a AEM in my Viper but I have put one in my old 05 Honda S2000 turboed. Out of the few other AEM EVO, Supra, and STI they all used a regular serial port. Unless the AEM for the Viper transfer signal through OBDII. You are right if it has the stock ecu. He didn't clear us on what he has which I assume AEM

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as for the part # he asked, its just a simple cable. I never put a AEM in my Viper but I have put one in my old 05 Honda S2000 turboed. Out of the few other AEM EVO, Supra, and STI they all used a regular serial port. Unless the AEM for the Viper transfer signal through OBDII. You are right if it has the stock ecu. He didn't clear us on what he has which I assume AEM

The Viper uses the ships OBD2 then to a serial connector. I knew....because I had been working on the car ;) All Vipers, at least gen1 and gen2 are like this. Mine as well.

Different than others I guess. The Viper AEM was the first one that was a direct pcm replacement best I remember. Our factory plugs go right in the AEM.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper uses the ships OBD2 then to a serial connector. I knew....because I had been working on the car ;) All Vipers, at least gen1 and gen2 are like this. Mine as well.

Different than others I guess. The Viper AEM was the first one that was a direct pcm replacement best I remember. Our factory plugs go right in the AEM.

haha It made me wonder why AEM so expensive for the Vipers. I think that is a cool to use...which they did that on the S2000 because it was pain in the ass to fit the ecu.

Now, you say AEM was or is POS. As for software, the unit itself, or serial connection to OBD2? I loved everything about the AEM when I used it.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My data lead that came with the AEM kit was rubbish BUT the new one i got frm DC as a seperate item is 100 times better....

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha It made me wonder why AEM so expensive for the Vipers. I think that is a cool to use...which they did that on the S2000 because it was pain in the ass to fit the ecu.

Now, you say AEM was or is POS. As for software, the unit itself, or serial connection to OBD2? I loved everything about the AEM when I used it.

Well, I have had my battles with the AEM ecu :D on/off/on/off/on etc. etc :D
But the pos was referring to the cable, not the box itself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456