Looking for detailed how to change oil cooler lines on a gen 3

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a few things but nothing detailed for a gen 3 oil cooler line change. I bought the JTS Venom oil cooler lines for $309 and the directions that came with them are pretty basic and I'm a terrible mechanic
You must be registered for see images attach

https://imgur.com/phaYbYu

I know I've read that I will need some crows feet wrenches but I am not sure what sizes? 1.25 inch and 1 inch? I put an adjustable wrench up to the new lines and it is measuring an inch for them?

How tight do you tighten everything? As tight as you can get it cause nothing I've read talks about how tight it should be and that the OEM ones were on their super tight and hard to get off.

step 5 in the directions say "Oil extension adapter fitting goes on line just behind belt tensioner"

I assume what I have circled in red below is the "Oil extension adapter fitting?"
https://imgur.com/fudJpBZ

The blue circle is the tensioner and the blue line is the oil cooler line that goes directly behind the tensioner so I assume that line is the line I have in the above picture and that end with the adapter screws in right behind the tensioner on the engine block? or should the oil extension adapter fitting go on the end that screws into the cooler?

https://imgur.com/haS36WU

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Didn't use that kit myself, but I would assume the extension fitting goes on the block side, probably to give clearance between the hose and the tensioner. The kit is basically just swapping one style of fitting for another. The factory is a quick connect style with spring clips and o-rings that make the seal. The new set is AN style fittings with the cone and flare that do the sealing. I'm pretty sure they are aluminum fittings, so you wouldn't want to put them on super tight. The adapter fittings are o-ring boss style if I remember right, so they don't have to be super tight to seal, though you don't want them to vibrate loose either. I managed to do mine with just an adjustable wrench and a socket with a universal joint on it. Tough to get to and maybe not as solid of a connection as a crow's foot wrench, but it's been working for years now without issue.

OP
OP
M

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, did you remove the oil pan to make it easier or no? I was not going to remove the oil pan.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
No, I managed to get in there without having to take anything off aside from maybe a wheel. If I remember right I think I put the car on a set of ramps and did the work from below. The other option would be pull the right front wheel and fender liner. Would probably give you a better view of what's going on, but don't know that it gives much better access to anything.