Looking for some 3D wheel designs.

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a new project I´m looking for a 3D design from different Viper wheels.

Does anyone have a AutoCad or other 3D drawing of the following wheels:

Gen 2 Viper
10293DSC03358.JPG

Or a picture of this rims on the car.
10293DSC03361.JPG

And a 3d Design of the old standard 5 spoke GTS rim.
You must be registered for see images

I´m trying to get diecast wheels in various sizes.... so to run them in a CNC machine some 3D models would be great!
Thanks
Arjen

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you end up being able to produce the rim from the first two pictures be sure to post a few pictures of the results. I had a Burago GTS converted to an FE but would definately want the appropriate rims to go with it.

P.s. Arjen, did you get my mail I sent to you not too long ago?

OP
OP
V

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I will.

Willem, didn´t got the mail.... I was away on holiday to Mexico so I might missed something.
Don´t guess anymore...... I´m looking to produce some Gen 1,5´s and FE´s with proper wheels.
Keep you posted!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheels are easy to model up, mind you I've been designing cars & parts for the last 15 years.. but here's 10 minutes on CATIA this morning freehand..

btw - I worked in the Viper engineering group on Featherstone Rd. (before it was PVO / SRT) years ago as a CAD consultant..

Last edited:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, the first set of wheels are done, front & rear, as shown below. I alos mocked up a sneaky pete center cap too. I PM'd you a link to a zip file of the STEP files. I can get to the next set over the next day or so. The backside isn't cored exactly like the OEM wheels, but should be find for the scaled models and the wall thickness is a bit thicker, otherwise, same dimensions overall. All of this is freehand otherwise using pics, etc.. Let me know how it works out.
Mike

le66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's one of GTS GEN I wheel 1/18 Bburago the drawing "look like" but not the same of corse....for me, it's the start to made one example but I'm not sure to realize a very good work because it's very hard to work on them....

If someone can help us to realize a prototype (front or rear wheel sacale 1/18 or 1/12) tell me what you want to work for that....

Thanks, Chris. ;)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AWESOME work, Mike!!! Amazing the things you can come up with so quickly and efficiently! Those wheels look GREAT!!! Good of you to help people out. ~juli

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you'all enjoyed the pics. :2tu:

ViperArry - Here's the second set, you also have a PM link to the STEP / zip file. Again, these are freehand regarding the spokes & surfaces, otherwise should be good to go for the scale models. Other than that, not a problem contributing something for a fellow Viper fan.

Good luck!
Mike

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what you need exactly Chris, but I may be able to help. Do you or Mike (2000_Black_RT10), by any chance have an .STL file of these wheels? I have some contacts in the rapid prototyping field and could "print out" some of these scale wheels. Actually, whatever you dream up can be printed out (down to a certain level of detail).

thanks,
mike

It's one of GTS GEN I wheel 1/18 Bburago the drawing "look like" but not the same of corse....for me, it's the start to made one example but I'm not sure to realize a very good work because it's very hard to work on them....

If someone can help us to realize a prototype (front or rear wheel sacale 1/18 or 1/12) tell me what you want to work for that....

Thanks, Chris. ;)

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rapid prototyping may be an interesting offer, that's cool of you, the printing style machines provide a textured / layered finish, may not be ideal for this smaller scaled stuff. Here's pic with my car in the reflection, oh yes summer.. mind you I'm off with a dang cold today.. soap operas aren't that appealing.. cold & wintery outside.. just tinkering around.. I started on the drafting board way back then, never thought a PC could do this, especially when we use to be on high end CAD UNIX stations that cost around $150k - 200k..

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, the talent you guys have is incredible! I wish I could learn the stuff that you have learned, would come in mighty handy if I ever want to do some projects of my own.

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, freaky stuff how the rate of advancement is in this day and age huh? one day in the future, i think many people would be able to have a 3d printer in their homes like we have inkjet and laser printers nowadays. then they go online and buy a .STL file, and print out what they want.

the awesome thing for our Vipers would be the metal printers. say a part is no longer produced. well, just print one out.

agreed on the textured / layered finish, but the technology has been steadliy improving. some machines print down to 0.0006 inches / 16 microns (the whole inch, US system is dumb), with the accuracy depending on the part geometry at 0.1-0.3mm, so parts can be fairly smooth. it all depends on the application and what the objective is.

anyway, for all this technological advancement talk, old-tech Gen II is still the only car for me :headbang:

Rapid prototyping may be an interesting offer, that's cool of you, the printing style machines provide a textured / layered finish, may not be ideal for this smaller scaled stuff. Here's pic with my car in the reflection, oh yes summer.. mind you I'm off with a dang cold today.. soap operas aren't that appealing.. cold & wintery outside.. just tinkering around.. I started on the drafting board way back then, never thought a PC could do this, especially when we use to be on high end CAD UNIX stations that cost around $150k - 200k..

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I see.. I'm already falling behind rapid prototyping technology.. not aware of those printing tolerances..

One day we'll be able to custom design our own cars at the dealership.. then again, will it just be a virtual world? Now I'm getting bored.. maybe I need to rent the Matrix again..

Here's a useless observation of the day, I noticed in a real pic of my car that the reflection in the concave wheel is upside down, tried it in CAD, hung an image in front of the wheel for the reflection, same thing..

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 Black RT10, Very very impressive! The fact that you can whip that kind of work out in less than half and hour is amazing!:notworthy:

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone will post a pic for me, I can show you what I did on a CNC to custom machine my wheels. Or you can just buy my car for sale in the classifieds???

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
concave mirrors my friend. the object (the horizon) in this case is beyond the center of curvature for your mirror (your good looking wheel). see what happens when you move the object closer and closer :D

As I see.. I'm already falling behind rapid prototyping technology.. not aware of those printing tolerances..

One day we'll be able to custom design our own cars at the dealership.. then again, will it just be a virtual world? Now I'm getting bored.. maybe I need to rent the Matrix again..

Here's a useless observation of the day, I noticed in a real pic of my car that the reflection in the concave wheel is upside down, tried it in CAD, hung an image in front of the wheel for the reflection, same thing..

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone will post a pic for me, I can show you what I did on a CNC to custom machine my wheels. Or you can just buy my car for sale in the classifieds???

Dennis - Here's your pics that you emailed, ingenious to cut them, definitely look different! Thanks Ratical. :2tu:

I went and tried something a little different since there's no risk cutting CAD data!

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very krafty (real and virtual)!!! some matte black ones would make the Viper look sinister. or some black chrome ones would make it flashy! brass bolts and gold center cap would make it regal.

Dennis - Here's your pics that you emailed, ingenious to cut them, definitely look different! Thanks Ratical. :2tu:

I went and tried something a little different since there's no risk cutting CAD data!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok 488civ10, now that you peaked my interest tonight, here's a modification I just made to to the 2000 wheel, a personal design.. keeping the concave shape, but tossing the conventional 5 spokes for 6, to match the wheel stud pattern. I tend to think 5 spoke Cragars, Slots etc.. and 5 bolt patterns are becoming obsolete, is it the 5 point Pentastar that maintains the 5 spoke theme.. hmmm.. Anyway, here's the new design in different color schemes too, no bling bling gold this time. :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice,

I studied construction a long time ago and I wonder what this would mean to the strenght of the rim.
Does a rim have so much extra material that can be machined out and still be able to take the force on it?

@488cv10 I'll send you a PM, intrested very much in Rapid prototyping!

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a local wheel manufacturer in the bay area test the rear wheel that was a damaged one donated to me, and they put 2,000 pounds on the end of a 6 foot pole and mounted it to the wheel, and cycled it 100,000 times, to look for cracking, and there was no cracking. But I still decided to only have it on my car because of potential liability problems. I did not want my manufacturing company to go up in smoke from making 100 sets of wheels, and possibly making $50,000 in profit only to see it disappear, when one lawsuit for millions would wipe me out. You see all of the crashes talked about on this site, and if one happens, and they can not figure out why, and then they see the wheels were modified from OEM, and they decide to blame them, even thought that was not the reason, well you get my drift. So I stuck to machining valve covers, and third brake light covers, and jewelry and trivets for the women. Not much liability there???

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mike, I LOVE the black wheels w/ the 6-spoke pattern, it's so fluid that way. As always, GREAT job!
~~~juli

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's cool, ok.. double them up tonight..