Looking for srt + intro

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mod's, if this is the wrong place, please delete or move. This is my first time posting on this forum.

I have been lurking around on this site for a few months now and thought its time for an intro. My name is Kris. I have always had a fascination with vipers. When I was very young, my father took me to a car show and there was a viper there. I can still remember thinking that it was the coolest thing I have ever seen. I was hooked from that moment on. I never thought that I could afford a viper, but prices are reasonable now, and i'm fortunate to be one of the people working a good job. I am active duty Air Force stationed out of Eglin AFB, FL. I have been in the service for just about 5 years and love it. My primary job is satellite communication but I also work a lot with ground radio stuff. I am currently in Afghanistan but should be on a plane home in a week or two. I actually didn't have to go on this deployment, but I am so determined to get a viper, I volunteered so I could save up a hefty down payment for the car.

I was starting to look for a viper around this time last year, but ended up buying a house. I picked up a short sale home, and if any of you have done this, you know that there can a lot of money involved. Since then, I have sold my motorcycle (2006 kawasaki ninja zx-10r), paid off the wifes car, and got our savings back to where it needs to be. With all that behind me, its time to do something fun for myself and get the viper. I sent in a loan application at penfed (got that idea from this forum), checked into insurance, and have figured in the cost of owning a viper. Now I just need to find one.

I'm looking for a 03-06 viper in either a vert or coupe. I would like to stay <40K on a vert and <45K on a coupe. This might be a little bit of a challenge, but I have been watching the prices in the last year or so and I think its possible. If anyone knows of any good local deals or might have a car for sale, send a PM please. I'm not really looking for any highly modified car's, but if it has the regular mod's, thats OK. I don't have a preference on color other than not wanting red. I would also like the mileage to be under 25K.

I check all the regular sites...ebay, craigslist, autotrader, viper forum's. I figured it might not hurt to post what I'm looking for on here.

I have enjoyed this forum and all the information that is passed along. I hope I can get into a viper in the next couple months. If anyone lives around Destin, FL or is vacationing in Destin and needs a safe place to park their viper, let me know. I would have no problem kicking the wifes car out to see a viper in the garage.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Contact Bernie Katz through either Tomball, or his own business, BJ Motors. I found my 2003 there 18 months ago. He can probably help you find what you're looking for. Good luck.

OP
OP
N

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
update:

Well I am finally home. I am glad to be out of Afghanistan. That place *****. I was lucky that we didn't have any direct rocket or mortar attacks and nobod shot at us. It was a good experience for the most part, other than getting woke up to run to a bunker because of incomming fire. I think I am going to be home for a little less than a year. Next september we are scheduled to deploy again. It probably will be the desert again, but theres a chance of Africa next time. That would be cool.

I'm still looking for a viper. 03-06. My price range hasn't really changed much, other then I might go closer to 50K for a coupe if I don't have to pay for shipping. In the last few months, I have come by three or four car's that meet my needs. One was a 06 copperhead but it sold before I got home. Another was actually a 03 listed on this site for 40K, but when I asked about it, he raised the price to 46,500. Who does that? So I am going to continue looking.

I have recieved a couple PM's and I am going to follow up with them now that I am home. I also got all aproved with PENFED on my credit loan. In case anyone is thinking about a loan with them, I would reccomend it. I don't exactly know what they are looking for in a loan application, but I aplied for a $40K loan at 2.5% and have a credit score of around 740. I got aproved in two days. I don't plan on financing anything near that, but I figured I would just make it a nice even number for the aplication.

I hope to get into a viper by spring. If you know of any 03-06 for sale, please PM me with details. Thanks.

indy04sti

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be able to help you. I have a 2003 Paxton supercharged SRT10 silver with black stripes and interior. It has a other supporting mods such as a comp coupe oil pan and pick up and real roll bar, Corsa exhaust and 355 rear end. If you are interested my email is [email protected]. I can send you all the information about the car as well as pictures. The car has just under 21,000 on it. I need to get $45,000. Woodhouse did almost everything to the car. I am located in Indianapolis IN. I need to get rid of some cars and I just don't drive the Viper enough. The car is in excellent shape. Let me know! Rick Smith

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your service, Kris. I'm in the same boat that you are. Looking for a Gen III by spring. I'm hoping to find something reasonable this winter. Good luck!

V

Venomiss

I might be able to help you. I have a 2003 Paxton supercharged SRT10 silver with black stripes and interior. It has a other supporting mods such as a comp coupe oil pan and pick up and real roll bar, Corsa exhaust and 355 rear end. If you are interested my email is [email protected]. I can send you all the information about the car as well as pictures. The car has just under 21,000 on it. I need to get $45,000. Woodhouse did almost everything to the car. I am located in Indianapolis IN. I need to get rid of some cars and I just don't drive the Viper enough. The car is in excellent shape. Let me know! Rick Smith

I can see it now...you purchase the Viper, join the VCA, and then drive to through Bossier City, La on December 3rd and attend the VCA Mid-South Holiday Party on the way home to the panhandle.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's a great deal for someone looking to buy a modded car, given all of the usual aspects are good.

You'd have a blast with that car.

OP
OP
N

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great success !!!

Today I took ownership of a 2003 black SRT viper. Its a one owner car with 12K miles. I had to take a 9 hour drive to pick it up, but it was well worth it. The car is in great shape with just a couple light scratches on the drivers door where he was holding his keys or something. I was able to get it on a lift and take a good look under the car and it looked good. I also made sure to check the car out on the lift after my test drive so I could make sure nothing was leaking after the car has been warmed up and ran. To my suprise, the under side of the front bumper was virtually free of any scrapes. The car is pretty much stock other than I think something was done with the exhaust, but I don't really know. It just seems louder than a stock sound should be. The tires are pilot sport's. The manufacturing date is 2006 on the front and 2009 on the back. So they are not the tires it came with in 03, but I don't know much about them other than that. I would guess the tires only have around 2K miles on them.

I baught the car for 39,995 plus $170 for registration and tags. Since I am registering the car in Oregon, there is no tax for me :) I was able to put down 7K and financed 33K through Penfed at 2.5% Its hard to believe that I would own my dream car so early in life. I have the biggest smile on my face. I'm really excited and will post some pictures tomorrow. A friend went with me down to pick up the car in my truck, and we drove seperate on the way home. It was a great way to learn the car by doing a 500 mile drive.

Thanks for all the help and advice I have recieved from the members on this board through all the different threads and the PM's I have had.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ECELLENT PRICE FOR ONLY 12K MILES... MAN YOU STOLE THAT THING! NOW DRIVE IT THE SAME WAY YOU PURCHASED IT!

(my best Italian accent)

Welcome to the family...

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats, and welcome to ownership. My 03 is also black. Enjoy it!

By the way, you did get a good deal on that! I bought mine with twice that mileage....let me just say you did very well.

OP
OP
N

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great price for that mileage...congrats on the car!

Now, what mods do you have planned?

I'm not sure what mod's are first. I have to spend basically all of January in Georgia for more training (it never ends). I will do a lot of research and figure out something. My first thoughts are either a short-throw shifter or buying a carbon fiber center counsol. I really like CF stuff. I had a lot of it on my last motorcycle and it gives it such a good look.

My first impressions of driving the viper: I just sold my last motorcycle earlier this year after having some kind of bike for about 20 years. I rode dirtbikes until I was 19. Then I started into sportbikes and never looked back. The main reason I loved sportbikes was the insane acceleration they have. My 2006 kawisaki zx10r was putting down 163hp at the wheel and it was wild when I wanted it to be. I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to feel that in a car. The viper is the first car I have been in that I get that feeling in. There is just so much raw power, it scares you but makes you respect it at the same time. The similarities between a superbike and a viper are way closer than I expected. I still have a lot of learning to do in the car, but I am looking foward to it.

I also wanted to say thanks to my wife for putting up with the crazy life we have. The last year and a half have been busy. We moved from spokane, wa to fort walton beach fl because of my military orders. We had to leave all our house, friends and family, and move across the country where we didn't know anyone. After only being there for a couple months, I found out I was going to the desert on the next rotation. Then we came by a deal on a short sale right in the heart of Destin, Fl that was too good to pass. So we made a offer and waited. It took 5 months for the house to close. Part of buying the house was comming up with all the closing costs, so thats why I sold my last bike. We moved in and had about 3 weeks from the day we closed on the house until I left for Afghanistan. She took care of all the house stuff while I was gone and kept all our finances in order. A lot of poeple don't realize that its harder for the people back home then it is for the guys deployed. I found out I was comming home early and I started looking at vipers. I think she was secretly hoping it was just another of my wild idea's that never happens. Then yesterday I baught my viper and drove it home. I am happy that she loves the car and can't wait to drive in it with me.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Kris! These cars handle incredibly well but DO NOT mash on the Go pedal unless you are in a straight line.

Enjoy....BTW mods = modifications

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Kris Congrats on the Purchase! I to am AF im up here at SJAFB, Im looking for my first viper also. I too know how Afghan *****, but hey you made it home and got your viper! enjoy!

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! I'm about ready to buy mine too! Probably a month or so of searching before I find the right car. :)

OP
OP
N

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait until you see 20 or 30 Vipers cruising together. Or if you can make it to the next Viper Owners Invitational, hundreds of cars together. :headbang:

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:2tu: Congrats & Welcome. Be careful & learn how to handle the car & not let it get out of control. Anyitme you're around the Gulf Coast area or the New Orleans area ,send me a PM. & I'll buy lunch. :drive:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32