Looking to buy lowest mile best condition 97 Blue White GTS

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto on the tires. I bought mine in Jan with 7500 miles and it was scary until I put fresh rubber on it. The way to tell is burnout and look at the tire marks. If there isn't much rubber on the ground the tires are too old.
Great story!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He found one car with 12 miles on it. 100 grand would not buy that car!(not for sale) He is working on a 300 mile car. They are out there... Just have to find one.
Great find, and great story, this one sounds like a real winner from the dealer, Thanks for sharing!

On another note for people looking for low miles from private owners, I have heard of people disconnecting the spedo to keep the miles down. Watch out for the obvious signs of this.

whip383

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just bought my '01 gts, didnt even think about a disconnected speedo. what are the things i need to look out for?

thanks,
chan

OP
OP
B

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the speedo disconnect issue.....

A guy here tells me that he found out by accident some time ago that there is suposedly second odometer reading on these Vipers that no one typically knows about.

He is a VCA member here and he supercharged his car. He kept getting check engine lights. He got sick of going to the dealership to get them looked at and turned off. So he purchased some $3,500.00 Dodge hand held trouble shooting device.

While surfing on this new tool/toy he bought, he claims he found an electronic odometer he said accessed via the hand held device when it was plugged into the cars "black box."

So according to him there is an easy way to check the REAL/ACTUAL mileage on a Viper.

If you ever have any concerns about mileage do this FIRST before you buy. It will give you a great peace of mind when buying a used, or a New leftover Viper!!!!

The bad thing is if you're buying a used car from the SECOND or THIRD owner, and you plug one of these things in and find a problem....how do you know where the problem happened. Was it the first owner, the second, the third????? You could be buying a Viper from a very honest seller, but maybe he got burnt when he bought it and he never knew it.

Protect yourself....Don't get burned!

There is a specific name for this tool. I don't know it. If anyone wants more detailed info, drop me a e-mail, I will forward your e-mail on to the guy who owns this and knows all the ins and outs of doing it and see if he can tell you more about what he said he found.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Dodge dealer can plug up and get the electronic recorded mileage. So if you are looking at a car drive it to the dealer and have a look see. Dont know if the scan tools that SnapOn and Mac sell have access to this or if that sort of info is proprietary info that is only accessible with a Mopar Factory scan tool.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's called a DRB or scan tool. Many newer cars can be checked. Change computers and what happens ?? I don't know.
Your car is the correct milage....I'm sure of that. You should have told me you came in, I would have bought you lunch. Mike at Ringgold Chy/Dodge is a great guy and he figured it would be better for you to deal direct with that dealer instead of him making a buck off of you. Cleveland is about 30 minutes from me, Chattanooga is 10 minutes. Enjoy that car !!!

OP
OP
B

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1Tony1,

Sorry for not getting in touch when I was there. I was rushed getting in and getting out. I talked to the owner where I got the car today, I told him I'll be back in that neck of the woods before too long. I will drop you a line when I make it back that way. Mike wanted me to stop in also and I didn't get to do that. I was on a mad dash there and back.

When I come in next time, I owe you and Mike lunch, not the other way around.

The drive into Cleveland was beautiful, all the mountains, and lakes and rivers, it was pretty nice. Lots better than this flat land out here in Kansas.

I'm not worried about this car, it's legit in every aspect. It is exactly what is was represented as, a new leftover car, still on it's mso, with no miles, with full factory warranty.

I think the mileage statements are cropping up because it's just so hard to accept that this kind of car could still be found out there to be purchased. A Doubting Thomas kind of thing. I feel very lucky have been the guy to end up getting this car!

Thanks for your help.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the speedo disconnect issue.....
While surfing on this new tool/toy he bought, he claims he found an electronic odometer he said accessed via the hand held device when it was plugged into the cars "black box."

A computer change will erase this mileage.

I wont get into details but I know someone with a lambo with the spedo disconnected. He removed the stock computer at time of disconnect and got another one.

The only way to truly tell is to buy new from the dealer I guess.

Be suspicious untill proven guilty.

OP
OP
B

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keprght,

Luckily for me I did buy this car new, from the dealership, still on it's MSO. I didn't have to wade through a bunch of used or pre-owned GTS' like I did on my RT-10. :cool: :2tu:

I could be wrong, but for those with these worries, wouldn't a computer have a manufacture date embedded into it or somehow traceable to it, through a serial number or something? It's just way to big a legal risk, I'm sure it has happened, but I just can't imagine it's a very big problem out there.

I guess built-in negativity and suspicion must be a left-coast thing! :D

Anyway, Story over....This Brand New 97 Blue and White GTS is home! On to other threads and topics.....Over and out!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on such a find! That is 1 in a billion!

Enjoy the hot ride in a basicly brand new car!

1996VIPERGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
94 Rocket, I remember seeing your car on ebay awhile back at that dealership in TN, right after I bought my 96 GTS. I think the bidding got up to around $60k, but it did not sell because of a reserve. I would have been very tempted to buy that one, I spent a few years looking for my low mileage 96 which had 748 miles, which I purchased 1-1/2 years ago.

Do you mind if I ask how much did you pay for it. Mine was a one owner car I paid $60K, wasn't as lucky as you to find one under MSO. Just curious if I got a decent deal. Good Luck with it, that's a great find. By the way, do you plan on driving it or storing it?

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great find... congrats!

Is there anything to worry about with regards to a car that's been sitting for 6 years? lack of lubrication? I would think they wouldn't leave original old oil and fluids in there the whole time....

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are those articles Ryck asked me to post..

20797_new_viper_news_paper_clipping2-med.jpg

OP
OP
B

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:

Adam96,

Thanks for posting that pic.! I can't do that yet! :mad:

Hey All,

I just got an envelope from the Dodge dealer I purchased the car from in the mail today. It contained the dealers invoice on the car, and the Sports section from Cleveland Tenn from November 2, 2003.

When I opened the Sports section on about the second page in was the above photo and caption. It must have been a slow news day for ME to make the Sports section! :D

Thanks for those who helped me find this car. On to other more important threads! :eek: