looking to buy, need advice

southern exposure

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, my name is Mark and i'm new to this viper thing. I'm currently looking at buying a 2000 gts arc w, roe supercharger. car has approx. 23k miles. it runs great and is in great condition. They claim 695bhp, which i belive, its fast. Fortunately i live near roe racing in north Fla. So here's my question. Is there anything specific i should be looking for when buying this model viper(both good and bad). Just want to make sure i'm not missing something that you guys w/ viper experiance would know to check out. Thanks a bunch. I look forward to chatting w/ you. Oh, one more thing. Does low 40"s sound about right for price.

V

Venomiss

Hey everyone, my name is Mark and i'm new to this viper thing. I'm currently looking at buying a 2000 gts arc w, roe supercharger. car has approx. 23k miles. it runs great and is in great condition. They claim 695bhp, which i belive, its fast. Fortunately i live near roe racing in north Fla. So here's my question. Is there anything specific i should be looking for when buying this model viper(both good and bad). Just want to make sure i'm not missing something that you guys w/ viper experiance would know to check out. Thanks a bunch. I look forward to chatting w/ you. Oh, one more thing. Does low 40"s sound about right for price.
Is this 2000 ACR a former VCA members car? Dealer or by owner? Run a carfax?
This book might be helpful for you.
http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/623721-viper-buying-guide.html

Others will chime in.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Take the advice from Venomiss, and ask a friendly C-J-D dealer to run the VIN for you. I would also ask Sean Roe about the car and to ask him to consider a hands on evaluation as well(for a fee).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Roe's local evaluation would indeed be worth a fair appraisal fee. Get the seller to split it with you...it could help HIM sell the car if you dont!

NOTE: VERY Early 2000s had a big piston problem. The info is archived somewhere here. The "clear-after" date I believe to be 10/16/1999 as / if I recall correctly. MY 2000 Cars built before that APPROXIMATE date had some weak-piston issues, and may not be good A/C candidates unless fixed. Many were fixed under warrantee. People: Only 250 or so EARLY cars. Maybe some MY2000 owner will recall more vividly?

RUN THE VIN and see if warrantee records go back that far. {Do a CHUCK-CHECK !}

That paid fax service can be a waste of time and money if it shows nothing. "No Info = NO Info" We have purchased NUMEROUS totalled Vipers for parts, and they have clean, buy-back-guarantee titles! Go figure. If it shows something, you can believe it. If it shows nothing it is meaningless.

Just recently, detailed on this very site (link below) , one such 97GTS surfaced with a fax-service clean title, no damage history, and a buy-back guarantee. It also showed ME as a 3rd owner, a fact.

When I bought it, twas a theft recovery and total, police reports involved, and insurance payout. I bought it to convert to a track car, but sold it fully-disclosed. LUCKILY the potential 6th buyer called me, despite what the fax-service told him! So SOME of the fax owner data was good, some was bogus.

Last edited:

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe's local evaluation would indeed be worth a fair appraisal fee. Get the seller to split it with you...it could help HIM sell the car if you dont!

NOTE: VERY Early 2000s had a big piston problem. The info is archived somewhere here. The "clear-after" date I believe to be 10/16/1999 as / if I recall correctly. MY 2000 Cars built before that APPROXIMATE date had some weak-piston issues, and may not be good A/C candidates unless fixed. Many were fixed under warrantee. People: Only 250 or so EARLY cars. Maybe some MY2000 owner will recall more vividly?

RUN THE VIN and see if warrantee records go back that far. {Do a CHUCK-CHECK !}

That paid fax service can be a waste of time and money if it shows nothing. "No Info = NO Info" We have purchased NUMEROUS totalled Vipers for parts, and they have clean, buy-back-guarantee titles! Go figure. If it shows something, you can believe it. If it shows nothing it is meaningless.

Just recently, detailed on this very site, once such 97GTS surfaced with a fax-service clean title, no damage history, and a buy-back guarantee. It also showed ME as a 3rd owner, a fact.

When I bought it, twas a theft recovery and total, police reports involved, and insurance payout. I bought it to convert to a track car, but sold it fully-disclosed. LUCKILY the potential 6th buyer called me, despite what the fax-service told him! So SOME of the fax owner data was good, some was bogus.

The more I hear HORROR stories like these, the more convinced I am that I will not go near a potential candidate (I will be in the market soon for a 96 or 97 B/W GTS) without a VCA member/Viper owner in tow!

Jim

OP
OP
S

southern exposure

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey there, thanks for the feed back. i didn't think about running the vin# at a dealer. good idea. anyhow, if any new thoughts please pass them on, otherewise, i'll check back and let you know if there's officially a new viper owner here in jax. fl. c ya

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely talk to Sean Roe, and also see if he will either give you the previous owner's contact info or he maybe he would contact them himeself to see if they would call you. Never trust anything the dealer says ! With that fire extinguisher in the photo, you must assume some kind of track use; although it may be there for bling effect. Track use isn't bad if not excessive. These cars are built for it; but, you take away some of the margin with the supercharger.