Low speed drivability of SRT-10 vs. Gen II

ByteMe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How is the low speed drivability of the SRT-10 compared to a Gen II? I like driving my 1997 GTS to work, but it is a pain to drive at low (0-5MPH) speeds in traffic.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont find it bad in traffic - just a lot of energy working the clutch.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont find it bad in traffic - just a lot of energy working the clutch.

The clutch did not seem to be a problem for me in the SRT. I think the clutch in the GEN I's & II are a lot stiffer and a pain in the butt. The SRT I thought was like my Civic all jokes aside.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for driving the car in traffic, I think that both are a little bit harder to drive under 10 MPH but the GEN I & II's are definitly harder. The jerking if you push the pedal too much or to fast is the biggest problem.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like driving my 1997 GTS to work, but it is a pain to drive at low (0-5MPH) speeds in traffic.

If you're talking about the lunging effect it may be slightly out of tune. New plugs and wires corrects the problem on my 98.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're talking about the lunging effect it may be slightly out of tune. New plugs and wires corrects the problem on my 98.
My 2000 always would lung a lot when it was cold. Had the aluminum flywheel taken out and replaced with oem, it helped but would still buck at low rpms. Which I would only drive with the misses at low rpm’s.
I’ve only driven the SRT/10 a few times, but I thought it was MUCH more drivable.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT is much better at low speeds than my 96 GTS. Changing rear gear to 3:55 makes it even better, but still not like a low hp car. No problem driving my Blown 03, but still must be careful with clutch and throttle to reduce bucking.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SRT is much better at low speeds than my 96 GTS. Changing rear gear to 3:55 makes it even better, but still not like a low hp car. No problem driving my Blown 03, but still must be careful with clutch and throttle to reduce bucking.

Ditto.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely no problem at low speed, even in stop and go traffic, with my Woodhouse supercharged 2006 coupe.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is fine considering it has been tested time and time again in New York traffic. It is completely civilized.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the SRT/10 I've forgotten about Vipers having that issue.

A joy to just cruise now.

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It took me a while to get used to the *******. This summer I had DC reflash my ECU. With the new ECU, the ******* became so bad, that I was ready to put the stock ECU back in. Just for the heck of it, I removed the K&N intake snorkel and put back the stock unit with greens. Guess what, the ******* was instantly back to normal. A week later, the K&N intake snorkel was sitting in the landfill but the DC reflashed ECU was still in the car.

No doubt that the degree of ******* can be caused by a variety of things.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I try to **** as often as possible. unfortunately for me as I get older i have noticed that the ******* is not as frequent. I do not know if there is a direct correlation of selling my 98 gts in favor of the srt, but the amount of ******* has decreased.
I am currently contemplating selling my srt and getting a 02 gts to increase the ******* back into my daily routine.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say **** away. As long as she screams when I step on her I will be happy. :)

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The '03 SRT we rented in Vegas last November from Rent-a-Vette did the jerking thing. That was the first time I had driven a Viper and I thought they just didn't like to be driven slowly. Try going fast on the Strip during afternoon rush hour.

Anyway, now that I have a '99 RT it still does the slow speed jerking now and then but no worse than the SRT did.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I hate the HUGE blind spot on the passenger side... I often ask my GF "Clear?" because even if I try I can't see when driving in the city... In the HWY no prob, just go faster than traffic :)

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The '03 SRT we rented in Vegas last November from Rent-a-Vette did the jerking thing. That was the first time I had driven a Viper and I thought they just didn't like to be driven slowly. Try going fast on the Strip during afternoon rush hour.

Anyway, now that I have a '99 RT it still does the slow speed jerking now and then but no worse than the SRT did.

Its pretty inconsistant on my car. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesnt. Weird.

Bat™

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 05 with 17,000+ miles. I love driving it, traffic or not and I do not have any problems or complaints about low speed driving.