Low Throttle Position Sensor TPS value

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All,

I have an Actron code scanner that also reads live sensor data.

The scanner was recently hooked up to my 2005 Dodge Viper and out of curiosity I checked the values of certain sensors on the car.

The TPS is reading very low on this car. When I am sitting in the vehicle with the engine off and the scanner connected, the pedal floored reads 72.9%

I did it a couple times and with the throttle to the floorboard I don't get a reading any higher than that.

Just for the hell of it I plugged the scanner into my 2004 Mustang Cobra OBD2 port and the TPS reads 93-95% when floored.

The Volvo does the same thing.

So, anybody out there with a code scanner can you do the same thing? What TPS readings are you seeing.

I'm guessing either my throttle butterfly in the stock throttle body isn't opening all the way, or there is something wrong with the TPS.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you buy this scanner from and how much? I would be interested in finding out more information on this. Seems like your 05' has another 1/4 in it which should contribute to more response.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought it at autozone for $179.

You can get it cheaper on eBay.

It also does data logging too.

Works with any obd2 or CAN bus equipped car.

Reaction score
First check the cable routing to make sure it is on the correct path and over the "cam". If this is all good pull the intake hose on the TB and have someone watch while you do it. If this is fine have trhe sensor recalibrated and or replaced.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First check the cable routing to make sure it is on the correct path and over the "cam". If this is all good pull the intake hose on the TB and have someone watch while you do it. If this is fine have trhe sensor recalibrated and or replaced.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. That was my next step. I needed to wait for the engine to cool down after yesterday's car show and cruise.

What is a normal TPS value for this car?

Tim

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I just noticed a similar issue with my new to me 04. What's even more bizarre is that at full closed the TPS is reading 27% or something crazy like that. The funny thing is that the car seems to run just fine. Idles at the normal 750 or so and pulls hard up top. I plan to try to check things with a voltmeter at some point just to see if it's something funny with my scanner. I noticed the readout says absolute TPS, so I wonder if it's just looking for a 0-5v signal even though the Viper doesn't necessarily use this whole range. If the range is .5-3.5v that would be a 10-70% on a 0-5v scale.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21