Made some more HP, broke my transmission :( any reccomendations?

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked up my viper from Chuck @ Tators the other day had some work done to the motor (heads/cam/pistons/water **** etc). Currently I'm limited by the stock fuel pumps with BAP at 680rwhp, Later that day decided to floor it on the highway in 3rd gear at about 60 mph and instantly broke some serious parts in the transmission. Had to get the car towed home, what a bummer! Anyways should I just rebuild it to stock specs? Or would there be a better option? Waiting for my AAA premier card to come in the mail so I can have it shipped back to Tators for free in about a week. Gonna do the twin 255 pumps and retune for a few more HP. From what I understand these transmissions should be good for this power level but since its coming out and being taken apart should I put in stronger parts? Im hoping to be around 720/730 rwhp with the new pumps. Any help greatly appreciated! Martin- KNG SNK any red jokes and I will punch you in the face. lol:D (your yellow junker doesn't make any power so breaking parts would be impossible, plus I have seen you drive, you drive like my grandma)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of rear end options, and Tators knows them all. First call would be to check with Chuck and see what he might recommend.

Depends a bunch on what year Viper you drive.

You can just put in a rebuilt stock gear set, have a competition one installed, order a later model (stronger), have a stronger than stock unit built (Donato) or check out Unitrax for their recommendation.

While you are getting this done, you may want to talk to Chuck about the shape of your tires and suspension, so you will be able to put all that power down without ***** (which is ******* your driveline)

You should not need to wait for a AAA card. You can call them with your membership # and they can OK the premier tow to the truck driver.

Sorry to hear about your rear end going away. Part of the price of power.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is probably what happened. (welcome to the club)

You must be registered for see images attach

The best option, IMO, is to swap in a newer 6060 trans. Built t56's don't seem to hold up as well as 6060's.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol your grandmother must drive quite well. Last time I remember we were going through the mountains of Vermont and some red car was going super slow in the twisties to where I was drafting their bumper. Who was that? I wonder. Lol. Told you man, 18k cash ill buy it right now broken. :)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard 6060's are better but you'll still have problems with it (and that much power) if you don't do a good job rev matching if you downshift a lot. I'm surprised third let go...in my experience 5th is the trouble spot. If you want strong, you can do a G-Force T-56 or 6060 (which is STUPID expensive) or just say screw it and go with a dog ring sequential (STUPID STUPID expensive).

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard 6060's are better but you'll still have problems with it (and that much power) if you don't do a good job rev matching if you downshift a lot. I'm surprised third let go...in my experience 5th is the trouble spot. If you want strong, you can do a G-Force T-56 or 6060 (which is STUPID expensive) or just say screw it and go with a dog ring sequential (STUPID STUPID expensive).

You've been around a lot longer than I, but most carnage I see is with the input shaft gear and the first gear on the cluster. These 2 gears are working in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th. The only time power isn't routed through these 2 gears is in 4th when the input shaft is directly coupled with the output shaft. This means these 2 gears get the most wear and most abuse. These 2 gears are also the first 2 gears to get starved of oil under hard acceleration, which weakens them. You can rig up a sprayer system to help keep them lubed under acceleration.

Same thing happens to guys with built T56's with the billet front plate and all. I've been a little hesitant to hot dog in 3rd since my first trans, and try to do most of my tuning in 4th gear, but it breaks loose at 160kph now, so I guess I'll have to get to the dyno to finish up.

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys thanks for all the replys. I am speaking with Chuck and he seems to think the rebuilt T56 should be fine. However he wants to inspect the transmission first to see what happened and go from there, Ill give you the up date in about 10-12 days when it gets hauled down there.

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul I called AAA and they told me I have to wait for the card....., not worth putting up the fight with them, Im happy enough getting the free tow just by upping my member ship cost by $24 instead of paying the additional 85 miles over the 100 free miles about $340.... thanks for your input on the transmission options

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that runs their ROE car pretty hard consistently on a stock T56 and has never had a problem? With around 700 rwhp? I know lots of people like KNG SNK that have Roe's on their car but have never experienced boost in their lives and are more concerned about MPG's......

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've been around a lot longer than I, but most carnage I see is with the input shaft gear and the first gear on the cluster. These 2 gears are working in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th. The only time power isn't routed through these 2 gears is in 4th when the input shaft is directly coupled with the output shaft. This means these 2 gears get the most wear and most abuse. These 2 gears are also the first 2 gears to get starved of oil under hard acceleration, which weakens them. You can rig up a sprayer system to help keep them lubed under acceleration.

Same thing happens to guys with built T56's with the billet front plate and all. I've been a little hesitant to hot dog in 3rd since my first trans, and try to do most of my tuning in 4th gear, but it breaks loose at 160kph now, so I guess I'll have to get to the dyno to finish up.
You're probably right about that given the explanation. Not sure why mine always lets go when I shift to 5th....maybe the torque multiplication (or inverse of that with 5th).....but truly I've gone through 4 of them in the track car and its always when I hit fifth on a straightaway....even if I'm not playing John Force ;-) Thanks for the explanation though, makes complete sense.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that runs their ROE car pretty hard consistently on a stock T56 and has never had a problem? With around 700 rwhp? I know lots of people like KNG SNK that have Roe's on their car but have never experienced boost in their lives and are more concerned about MPG's......

BahhhhHaaaa!! great post. Well, I've been there and done that with my ROE shredding my stock T56 input shaft gears on the gear cluster messing around in 3rd gear (like the photo). Donato recommended to me to simply go with an RAM SRT-10 T56 that uses the hardened 9310 gear sets with a less of a helical cut (what the G-Force trans and Transzilla TRIES to imitate/replicate but doesn't). He recommended that trans even over a 6060 (which I was a moment away from purchasing) since the RAM SRT-10 trans is actually a tougher trans than even the 6060. With the RAM SRT-10 T-56, I've had zero problems hammering it with over 800 ft tq at 2000 rpm with my current set up. I did install a gear oiler that comes on during boost which addresses the issue with oil starvation on the front bearing and main gear cluster. But give Donato a call and discuss. This issue has been kicked around a lot and the 6060 is a great option, but there are other better/cheaper options as well.

ViperVenomSC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem so far with mine and I've gotten on it in 3rd many times. I've ridden with you before you installed the blower and can attest that you don't baby the car. I think you need to use a little more "finesse" with all that added torque. You're also getting better traction than me with the bigger wheels and tires which adds to the strain. It really ***** that your car broke after waiting so long on the mods. Hope everything is fixed by dyno day in the spring. Looking forward to some competition. :)

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm at 634whp/658wtq and my 3rd gear grinds and knocks. I've recently changed fluids to Amsoil 75w90 and the grind and knocking has significantly went down. Whenever I shift properly (rev match), it doesn't grind at all! I suspect I'll have to do a new transmission build within the next year or 2 though.

BahhhhHaaaa!! great post. Well, I've been there and done that with my ROE shredding my stock T56 input shaft gears on the gear cluster messing around in 3rd gear (like the photo). Donato recommended to me to simply go with an RAM SRT-10 T56 that uses the hardened 9310 gear sets with a less of a helical cut (what the G-Force trans and Transzilla TRIES to imitate/replicate but doesn't). He recommended that trans even over a 6060 (which I was a moment away from purchasing) since the RAM SRT-10 trans is actually a tougher trans than even the 6060. With the RAM SRT-10 T-56, I've had zero problems hammering it with over 800 ft tq at 2000 rpm with my current set up. I did install a gear oiler that comes on during boost which addresses the issue with oil starvation on the front bearing and main gear cluster. But give Donato a call and discuss. This issue has been kicked around a lot and the 6060 is a great option, but there are other better/cheaper options as well.

This is quite interesting... Any more info on this???

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EllowViper, Thanks for the interesting post. Are the SRT 10 Ram transmissions easy to find? Bolts right in no problem? I will give Donato a call tomorrow. Thanks again! Martin-

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem so far with mine and I've gotten on it in 3rd many times. I've ridden with you before you installed the blower and can attest that you don't baby the car. I think you need to use a little more "finesse" with all that added torque. You're also getting better traction than me with the bigger wheels and tires which adds to the strain. It really ***** that your car broke after waiting so long on the mods. Hope everything is fixed by dyno day in the spring. Looking forward to some competition. :)
ken good to hear from you! You will have some competition at dyno day next year. From a nice color car owner to a nice color car owner it doesn't matter whos got more HP, as long as we beat on the yellow cars that's all that matters.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ken good to hear from you! You will have some competition at dyno day next year. From a nice color car owner to a nice color car owner it doesn't matter whos got more HP, as long as we beat on the yellow cars that's all that matters.

Unfortunately your only competition right now is yourself. Pretty sure I could personally run on the dyno and generate more whp than your broken vehicle :). Cleveland pick a part most likely will have a transmission for you.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the same info Donato gave Eugene with his CPE Tt Set up, and the same info he gave me.
According to him the 6060 is lighter, but not stronger than his RAM t56 set up.
This is the set up I run on my car with the trany pump spraying the input gears.
80% of the times I drive on 9.5 lbs at 900rwh/1000rtq. once in a while I hit it with 1100rw/1200 tq. So far so good.
I would go with him, he has different set ups. His Ram SRt is his top dog. He said the gears for them are harder to find during these days.
I believe he uses the casing from the Gen 2 T56 and installs all the internals of the Truck trany with whatever mods are required.

BahhhhHaaaa!! great post. Well, I've been there and done that with my ROE shredding my stock T56 input shaft gears on the gear cluster messing around in 3rd gear (like the photo). Donato recommended to me to simply go with an RAM SRT-10 T56 that uses the hardened 9310 gear sets with a less of a helical cut (what the G-Force trans and Transzilla TRIES to imitate/replicate but doesn't). He recommended that trans even over a 6060 (which I was a moment away from purchasing) since the RAM SRT-10 trans is actually a tougher trans than even the 6060. .

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I needed to do to run the RAM T56 was to install the speed sensor tone ring on the output shaft (its already splined unlike the 6060), machine the rear housing to accept the speed sensor itself (trucks don't use one on the tranny), and find the larger driveshaft yoke since it uses the same one as the 6060. So basically the same modifications one needs to do to run a TR6060. Plus I plumbed it to spray the front bearing/gear cluster. Finally, it doesn't have the skip shift solenoid installed either so that is a nice omission as well.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohhh...and I picked the RAM SRT-10 T56 up locally for $1400.00 (perfect working order) and sold my gernaded stocker in a basket for $400...so deals are out there.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They must have added the Viper offering. A few years ago when I inquired, they didn't offer a complete trans for the Viper. Very interesting and I like the additional upgrades as well.

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CWhiteRun, thanks for the reply, do you know the miles? Also locally as in your area? just checking to be sure, it might be a route I would be interested in as an option. Martin-

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just spoke to Rockland Standard Gear. They quoted me on the "Son of Tranzilla" tranny. $3,495 and they would take my core. They can have the build done in 3 days. I would also need an upgraded yoke/u joint for $196.77..The gear ratio's 1-4 would be the same, and they can change my 5th and 6th gears at my option. (stock is .74 & .50) They can do either a .80 &.63 or a .80 and .50. For $500 more they can change out the 1st gear ratio and go from the stock 2.66 and switch it to a 2.97. and have the same options for 5th and 6th. This is just food for thought until Chuck gets my car next week and gets it apart. I know the stock transmission is pretty good but Id rather not have to go through this a second time, because at that point I could have just bought the better tranny. I still plan on calling Donato as well. Thanks everyone for the useful info.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martin, did you get a $$ number on their "Tranzilla"?
The specs for it sound similar to Donato's Truck T56

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
v10TT, the only quote I got was on the "Son of Tranzilla" transmission from Rockland Standard gear (assuming you saw the quote I got above your post) That is the one they recommended to me. If you look on their website it ways it "viper specific".....I think that's the only transmission they offer for the viper as far as I know. Im still up in the air with what I am going to do, hoping to get my car back to Chuck this week so he can make some recommendations. Im real hesitant to go back to stock, I know lots of people have had good luck with a stock transmission, but if this happens one more time I might as well have gone with the "son of tranzilla" in the 1st place. Revised 5th and 6th is pretty cool too. Since 5th seems to be a weak link as well, I believe this transmission has a stronger 5th gear.

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually now that I read it again I see what your saying. The regular Tranzilla transmission is also offered but handles more power. No I did not get a quote on that transmission.....though from readin some other posts looks like it could be between $4-6k....ehhh$$

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala