Mainland owners are soooo lucky

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just going to rant for a little while here. I have been looking for several parts locally in Hawaii. Things like wheel spacers, rear hatch supports, reverse light switches, Wenol, and other little things. Apparently dealers, and local automotive shops here do not carry these things. Ugghh.

Finally got the car after more than a year and I still cant drive her. We need a safety check and the issue is that.....(need to breathe for the long explaination)....I looked up the laws for tinting in Arizona and found that they require a 33% light transmission. In Hawaii we require a 35% light transmission +/- 6%. So I figured that I would be safe and clear the inspection. However, the prior owner must have gotten it done darker than legal since I am reading something like 23% which is 12% more than legal in Hawaii and 10% over the limit in Arizona. Nuts. Also my reverse switch for the reverse lights just failed as well. So, no safety check so cant register the car, so I am not fully insured as well yet.....and equals I cant freaken drive her still yet. :crazy2:

So hopefully I can get the windows stripped and re-tinted, then (a BIG THANK YOU to Chuck and Jon in helping me in getting those needed parts) install the reverse switch and clear my inspections. Odd thing is that they are saying that the car is too loud and might be a sound violation. Darn. This is actually the first fully legal car that I actually have had in all these years. I actually have cats in them too.....sigh. I guess they never heard a Harley on full throttle or downshift hard....those are loud just sitting at idle as well.

Other than that...the car is BE-AU-TI-FUL!!!!:D Just wish I could actually drive her. Ahh well....I guess I should be legal since I figure the police here would pull me over just to be nosy. Last thing I need is to have to explain on why there is no license plate, no registration, no safety, and no insurance.

Thats all...just needed to vent while I am sitting here at work. Will post pictures when I can actually get her out into the sunny weather over here. Things could be worse....I know. Just bummed that I cant drive yet. Ahhh....soon though...hopefully.:2tu:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you David, how can a Viper be to loud when most Harley's are just plain obnoxious! And there are lots o' hogs on the islands that is for sure.
Once you do get it on the road good luck avoiding the daily rain showers either on the North Shore or downtown.
We are home now but we will hook up on our next trip to the islands which will be in Sept.

BTW, post some pics:D