Make fan come on earlier?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to make the fan on my radiator come on earlier... but I don't want to get the PCM reprogrammed. Is there a way to do this? Even a manual switch of some sort?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

JD

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to make the fan on my radiator come on earlier... but I don't want to get the PCM reprogrammed. Is there a way to do this? Even a manual switch of some sort?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

JD

Roe makes a fan switch kit that will come on automatically or with a switch. :2tu:

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ab, care to share the solution with us all?
I think a few of us might want to know how to do it.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
true, but your AC will heat up the motor even more which defeats the purpose. Perhaps the fan stays on a while right after the A/C is switched off?

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turning on the AC definately works for my 94. It will run up to 230 degrees if I do not turn it on. When I switch on the AC (which does turn on the fans), it will max out around 205. At speed it runs a strait up 195.

Jeff

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not home yet, but I was giving this some thought....

Turning on the A/C will turn on the fans but it also puts a load on the engine which in return raise the temps up on the engine. Now, if your fan is on and the engine is getting hotter, then there maybe a point where the fan becomes useless due to the fact that the engine will slowly get heat soaked where the fan won't help out anymore. It's happened to me on my 1994 Viper and I eneded up turning on the heater full blast in hot summer weather to cool things down, but at the same time it fried me alive like "fried rice" LOL! :D yes..I am picking on myself. :eek:

Just a thought.... I will post with pics of what I have. It may work for you and it may not.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my 2002's AC on by accident after r&r the dash panel. The radiator fan seemed to be cycling on and off every 20-30sec or so..

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not be that hard to figure out where the sending unit is located that triggers the fans.....then run a switch to it that would ground the sender when you throw the switch....you would only have to run 1 wire to it and......... it would run the fans through all the proper existing relays and wires.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i don't think turning the ac on helps on long drives because the load on the engine and heat it causes.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Take the wire to the compressor clutch and add a 2 way on/off switch...you could do it on the power or the ground side, it doesn't matter. Set your temp control to a/c all the time, this will engage the high speed fan relay to kick the fans on then turn the switch off to the clutch to disengage the a/c. Your fan will run at high speed all the time while the a/c head is turned on. If you want the a/c on, all you will have to do is flip the switch to allow the circuit to be completed and your a/c will work like normal. If you tap in the fan relays you can run into issues with high and low speed fan operation, defrost operation, and a/c operation. I can be done that way, but you have feed back issues between the fan relays. I have set up relays to run the fan while the car is off between rounds at the race track with a switch which is nice , but it runs the battery down fast. The way I said above lets the pcm do its job without changing anything...the only thing you are doing is turning the clutch on and off manually.
Later,
Joe

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is an old post that got me interested enough to delve around and I have come up with another way to do this.
I wanted to find a way to get the fan running on HIGH instead of Low and then later High. (It's been real hot in SOCAL)
If you lift the front of the car and get under the fasia you can see where the loom wiring meets the fan input connector. There are 3 wires; Black which provides the earth/ground, Dark Green which is the low fan voltage coming from the Fan Low/High relay, and a Light Green which is the high fan voltage also coming from the fan low/high relay. Simply cut the Dark Green wire and splice it to the Light green wire. This can be done on either side of the connector.
What you have effectively done is create a circuit where whenever the fan is needed it will run on High mode. The entire circuitry through both relays, etc remains intact, and there is no need to mess with extra switches, and overrides.
Anyhow, hope this is useful, and I did take some pics, but don't know how to upload them (where's the attach button Mr webmaster) If anyone wants them please email me at [email protected]