Maybe clutch slipping

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not exactly sure what happens when the clutch slips, but I think that it may be happening to my 95 rt. It has been a somewhat of a gradual problem, but it has gotten worse recently. When I am driving in 3rd gear or higher, if I step on the gas about half way the revs go up high and the car does not accelerate very hard. And, I try not to do it to much, but I think I can smell something that smells like my clutch burning. The clutch is always all the way out and supposedly disengaged. Can someone point me in the right direction and let me know what you think it might be and what I should do about it, thanks so much, Paul.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one of the symptoms of a dying clutch. You should have a jerky ride when the clutch engages and disengages although you might already be past that stage. How many miles? What's your driving style: aggressive starts always, occasionaly, never? Do you have lots of stop and go driving? (in SC, yeah right)

P.S. 5'9" and not available. LOL.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right, your clutch is slipping. If you don't let it slip to much longer, you might just get away with replacing the disk and pressure plate only.
If you let it slip too much you will damage the flywheel and that will have to go too.
If you are not too worried about the money, you should really replace everything in there when you have it done, disk, plate, wheel and hydraulics. That's the way to go for a long term fix.

OP
OP
P

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't ever really been to ******* the car so I don't understand why the clutch should be going with only 24k miles. I hardly ever do any burnouts or fast starts off the line (only been to the track 3 times). Is there an adjustment on the clutch that could have possibly loosened up over time. thanks, Paul.