Members, serious question on Gen 1 Coil packs, do I genuinely need aftermarket ones?

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coil pic
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...3x403/541886_379839818738374_1569934967_n.jpg

My normally aspirated stock cam and heads 1994 RT-10 has 9 K on the odometer, with new spark plugs and wires.

I have been reading past forum posts about what a colossal pain in the ass it is to change the two coil packs. Unfortunately no illustrations have been posted to my knowledge on how to change the coil packs out. The passenger side four bolts seems to be the hardest one to get to. Email me if anyone has [email protected]

Anyway on an honest note, is it worth and gains or the hard work let us say to put the Demon coil packs or any aftermarket pack for that matter on the my Gen 1? And if so any tips on how to get access to the bolts, and if one suggests moving the thermostat hose out of the way on the passenger side?

Any help would be appreciated on any advice from members.

Sincerely Arthur

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Members, serious question on Gen 1 Coil packs, do I genuinely need aftermarket on

If the car is running fine...Why bother? They really are a PIA to swap. Sounds like you have a nice stock motor so if it runs good leave it alone.

My .02

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Members, serious question on Gen 1 Coil packs, do I genuinely need aftermarket on

Why would you change the coil packs? Leave it alone unless you have an issue.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the car is running fine...Why bother? They really are a PIA to swap. Sounds like you have a nice stock motor so if it runs good leave it alone.

My .02

I agree with your advice. I replaced my GenII coil packs with the screamin' demon recently (http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/652581-performance-coil?highlight=demon) There was no rhyme or reason for doing other than satifying my curiosity. I also re-gapped my plugs per Greg Good. So, now my engine idles smoother but I have no idea if it's because of the gap or the coil packs, LOL. But it's done. I replaced my coil packs with the intake removed which made it much easier. However, it's a matter of removing the windshield cowl and removing the 4 bolts holding down the coil packs. It's tight but very doable on the GenII. On the GenI with the t-stat back there....I have no idea. Why bother if it's not a problem? Just my advice.

1VprTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you dont have problems, I would let them alone, they are a pain with the motor in the car.
As far as i know there are no aftermarket coils for Gen 1 cars, only OEM replacement.
The screamin demon coils are completely different than what is stock on Gen 1's, they are for '97+.
I know because i have them on my '94.

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you dont have problems, I would let them alone, they are a pain with the motor in the car.
As far as i know there are no aftermarket coils for Gen 1 cars, only OEM replacement.
The screamin demon coils are completely different than what is stock on Gen 1's, they are for '97+.
I know because i have them on my '94.

I thought the screamin demon coils advertise for Gen 1 as well..

Thanks for the advice. Arthur

1VprTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought the screamin demon coils advertise for Gen 1 as well..

Thanks for the advice. Arthur

If you check their website, the coils are 97-07 only. They have wires right below them that they advertise for Gen1, Gen2, Gen3

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you check their website, the coils are 97-07 only. They have wires right below them that they advertise for Gen1, Gen2, Gen3

You are 100% correct, I just looked at their website..Gen 2.
:)

Thanks Arthur