Metal deposits on oil drain plug??

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly are the small metal shavings that appear on the oil pan magnetic drain plug. Usually they are very miniscule but the last time I changed my oil there was a solid piece about the size of a grain of rice. Car only has 7,900 miles on it and runs like a top. Is there anything to be concerned about and are the shavings normal? Car is totally stock.

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On your next oil change, I would cut open the oil filter and inspect for any metal. Unravel the paper element and run a magnet over it and see how much metal you get out of it.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On your next oil change, I would cut open the oil filter and inspect for any metal. Unravel the paper element and run a magnet over it and see how much metal you get out of it.
Like he said. Dry it. Disect it. Run a magnet over the paper.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles on your car and how hard do you drive your car? We have noticed that on higher mileage cars which been run hard will have excessive wear on the connecting rod bearings, most specifically the #3 and #4 journal. This is quite common and in most cases can be rectified by polishing the crankshaft journals and replacing the bearings with a coated connecting rod bearing.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly are the small metal shavings that appear on the oil pan magnetic drain plug. Usually they are very miniscule but the last time I changed my oil there was a solid piece about the size of a grain of rice.

The small, miniscule shavings are the result of metal to metal contact (bearings, rings, etc.) and are normal. Larger solid pieces are a concern and are usually parts of bearing material.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery